Nothing really wrong with play calling tonight

Exactly Angry Ibis. Mentioned this after the FSU game. Can't win with a scared QB. We've got other issues as well - clearly.

We had the same OL last year. Threw all over them and won comfortably. What changed?

Is there not injuries to the oline? I do think kaya is a little shook. Bottom line a blitz is getting kaya at least 50% of the time. You can't hardly move the pocket with him. I am not sure.

Kaaya is playing scared. Has been.

Advertisement
NotSince, you're one of my favorite posters; however, saying Richt wasn't part of the problem is absurd. This is on Richt just as much as it is on our OL and Kaaya.

That's fine, I disagree about tonight. I think Richt has been a problem for most of the season. I saw nothing wrong (or little wrong) tonight. If the OL blocked like men. If Kaaya didn't play like a scared *****. If Njokou catches passes and doesn't fall down on sure TDs. And if the defense wasn't down 18 starters, we win easily with this play calling.

Valid points, however Richt didn't call many plays that made VT guess and play on their heels. We never use any play action, misdirections, screens to RB's (especially when VT is blitzing), middle of the field, etc. Everything is extremely predictable. I don't believe Richt is putting our guys in position to be successful.

We did run some of those, but I also don't think we really have as many guys who can be successful as people think. I agree Richt needs to cover up for our offensive weaknesses more, but I'm sick and tired of everyone acting like we have the 1984 Dolphins or the 2007 Patriots offense out there.

If we're clearly struggling in pass protection, why are we not getting the ball out of Kaaya's hands as quickly as possible? Specifically on third downs - which I can recall at least three third down situations where on 3rd and manageable our WR's were still running 15 yards downfield while Kaaya gets sacked.

NotSince, you're one of my favorite posters; however, saying Richt wasn't part of the problem is absurd. This is on Richt just as much as it is on our OL and Kaaya.

That's fine, I disagree about tonight. I think Richt has been a problem for most of the season. I saw nothing wrong (or little wrong) tonight. If the OL blocked like men. If Kaaya didn't play like a scared *****. If Njokou catches passes and doesn't fall down on sure TDs. And if the defense wasn't down 18 starters, we win easily with this play calling.

Valid points, however Richt didn't call many plays that made VT guess and play on their heels. We never use any play action, misdirections, screens to RB's (especially when VT is blitzing), middle of the field, etc. Everything is extremely predictable. I don't believe Richt is putting our guys in position to be successful.

We did run some of those, but I also don't think we really have as many guys who can be successful as people think. I agree Richt needs to cover up for our offensive weaknesses more, but I'm sick and tired of everyone acting like we have the 1984 Dolphins or the 2007 Patriots offense out there.

We have enough talent to be successful against FAU, GT and UNC. They have inferior Defense's except when they play us. It isn't because of talent. In addition, lets hypothetically say it's talent, Richt's Offense makes it worse. His system is pretty much set to "out talent" the opponent. No different than Randy's conservative Defensive play calling where he beats you with talent instead of outscheming you.

Last edited:
So this is the thread where the new generation of coach defending retards decides to reside.

You idiots come out in droves at the beginning of every coaching tenure. Then some time passes and your slow working minds finally realize that hey...maybe this guy is the reason for the issues? Some of us have been here to witness all 3 cycles of this garbage, and here it is again.

Richt is an incompetent Patrick Nix impersonator. He needs to give up playcalling duties tomorrow.

We have enough talent to be successful against FAU, GT and UNC. They have inferior Defense's except when they play us. It isn't because of talent.

I'm going to repeat what I posted after the UNC game. We have talent. We have talent 1-22. We don't have talent 23-44 and 45-I can't count that high. We were down to 63 scholarship players against UNC and I think Frank Gabriel is on scholarship. We didn't have Redwine, Thomas and Jackson tonight and Jenkins got hurt. We're flirting with playing with under 60 "real" players and knowing how Golden recruited, we don't have that many "real" players. Everyone keeps pointing at the fact that our teams keep putting 6-7 guys in the NFL. Yes, the dropoff after those guys is too big right now. We have too many Golden specials and too many holes. Yes, I know I sound like Golden, but **** Golden. It's his ******* fault.

Now, add that to a bad OL play. Bad QB play and bad play calling (though, again, I don't think it was that bad tonight) and you have a 4-3 team.

Advertisement
So this is the thread where the new generation of coach defending retards decides to reside.

You idiots come out in droves at the beginning of every coaching tenure. Then some time passes and your slow working minds finally realize that hey...maybe this guy is the reason for the issues? Some of us have been here to witness all 3 cycles of this garbage, and here it is again.

Richt is an incompetent Patrick Nix impersonator. He needs to give up playcalling duties tomorrow.

Or you could read

Or you could read

Read what? You've got guys in this thread swearing this **** show is a result of the O-line, Kaaya, historically low interest rates, or El Nino.

We've been self imposing additional sanctions on ourselves for the last 10+ years with these incompetent hirings...and I'm pretty sick and tired of this garbage.

Or you could read

Read what? You've got guys in this thread swearing this **** show is a result of the O-line, Kaaya, historically low interest rates, or El Nino.

We've been self imposing additional sanctions on ourselves for the last 10+ years with these incompetent hirings...and I'm pretty sick and tired of this garbage.

You're losing me here. It's not Gary Johnson's fault?

Here are some facts

When we run it on 2nd and 12 or 3rd and 6, with the RPO, that's Kaaya's decision when he sees the safety or safeties back from the LOS. That's not a call from the sideline to run it. He has the option to run or pass, and he's choosing run because we have numbers. We're not executing. Now, you could argue Richt shouldn't give him the option to run it on 2nd and long or 3rd and medium even if we have numbers, but Richt is not calling a strictly running play in those situations.

Whoa. Slow your roll there as your making too much sense.

Advertisement
Not on Richt?

Did you not see the difference in the way VT's offense was coordinated/called in comparison to ours?

That was one of the worst called games I've ever seen from an OC. We ran 'all verts' 3 times in a row one drive.

The FSU and UNC games were every bit as bad. I've seen all I need to see in terms of Richt, the play caller. He needs to fire himself and put a dedicated OC up in the booth.

Or you could read

You're losing me here. It's not Gary Johnson's fault?

Guy it was third and short, Kaaya was sacked 2 hours ago and the WRs are still running downfield.

When people talk about playcalling, they're complaining about the fact that it isn't helping. It's not taking advantage of the things we have done well. On the contrary, it's putting the team behind the 8 ball by putting everyone in a position where they surely won't succeed.

2nd to last drive. The OL has alrdy given up 8 sacks it's 3rd down in 4 down territory. you just need to get yards and give yourself a shot at 2 downs to get the 1st. the house is coming... why not run a screen? some kind've quick pass? that's what people are complaining about. we ran all of our guys downfield on that play. How is that not on the playcaller??? How is that not absolutely stupid???

We did that **** all game. Either we never throw the ball more than 5 yards passed the los or it's all 50 yds downfield???

Is there no middle ground??

The writing is one the wall man. This guy is Al Golden on offense. We arent going anywhere. If we were, our offense wouldn't look like 10x worse than last years. Just look at the defense. Everyone was saying we had no horses, now this is one of the top defenses in the country despite losing our 2 best players, starting 3 frosh, and not having a single safety worth a **** and 1 CB.

The offense has a "1st rounder" (<<<<fking lol) 2 nfl tight ends at least 2 nfl WRs, all the OL are back and they're eating the fattest ****. That's coaching. That's coaching. It's coaching. Have the last 5 years not taught you anything???? It's ******* coaching!!!

Advertisement
Here are some facts

When we run it on 2nd and 12 or 3rd and 6, with the RPO, that's Kaaya's decision when he sees the safety or safeties back from the LOS. That's not a call from the sideline to run it. He has the option to run or pass, and he's choosing run because we have numbers. We're not executing. Now, you could argue Richt shouldn't give him the option to run it on 2nd and long or 3rd and medium even if we have numbers, but Richt is not calling a strictly running play in those situations.

This is what numbnuts on this site don't seem to understand

kayaa has full control of this offense

he's not reading defenses, he's not getting them into the right plays, the right lineups, not throwing it to the right guys, not doing anything but standing there like a zombie awaiting his next hit

kayaa is what changed from last year, that and searles is suspect

Not one snap from the I formation. Maybe 2 from one-back set. And we don't think play calling is the problem? That's priceless. It's like saying the GOP's current problem isn't the nominee.

We're not hitting anybody on offense. That's the primary feature of this wonderful RPO offense. It's the worst at Miami since the Patrick Nix era. Not the least bit intriguing, given all the fundamental flaws. Even the occasional looping running play that happens to bust between linemen does so mostly by accident. It's influence, not force. When force is not prioritized then no kidding the opposing defensive linemen absolutely thrive as the game progresses. They haven't been dented at all.

Right now every game reminds me of that Thursday nighter at Cincinnati last season, when we made no attempt to run smack at a small and vulnerable but very hyper defense. Then I watched San Diego State physically brutalize the same Bearcat team out of the I formation months later in the bowl game. We have no upside or spark at all right now. I had no anticipation entering tonight's game. During the Golden years occasionally we would pop a surprisingly sharp effort, like two years ago on a Thursday night against Virginia Tech. I attended that game. All this week I've been so thankful I didn't schedule a trip to Blacksburg this time.

When I supported hiring Richt I assumed we would inherit that offense, the one he used at Georgia. That offense had an identity. A basic physical identity. It would fit wonderfully with our personnel given this immobile quarterback. Instead, we've got a wimp shotgun offense that hysterically features Brad Kaaya using ridiculous play fakes long after the handoff and when that running back is being destroyed for a loss.

These frozen shotgun handoffs with delayed blocking are not the equivalent of downhill assertive drive blocking. That's the misconception. We're not even giving the linemen a full chance. Our personnel is hardly 10-win or national championship caliber, as suggested by two amusing threads this season, but it's not subpar by national standards, not to the point we can't drive block while understanding the natural benefits, while accepting the occasional stuffed play that looks stupid. Years from now some of these linemen will be in the NFL.

The area that Donald Trump says he is allowed to grab, that describes our offensive scheme right now.

I don't even know where to begin with this trash of a post

people: GET OUT OF THE I FORMATION RICHT IT'S ANCIENT HISTORY

richt gets out of the I formation and goes into a spread kayaa in the shotgun

people: GET BACK IN THE I FORMATION RICHT WTF IS WRONG WITH YOU

this is why most of you haven't a lick of football sense, ZERO

Last edited:
Here are some facts

he's not reading defenses, he's not getting them into the right plays, the right lineups, not throwing it to the right guys, not doing anything but standing there like a zombie awaiting his next hit

Is Kaaya the HC of the team? No. Then why does the actual HC continue to give Kaaya full control of the offense when he is so clearly incapable of doing so?

Advertisement
Here are some facts

Is Kaaya the HC of the team? No. Then why does the actual HC continue to give Kaaya full control of the offense when he is so clearly incapable of doing so?

It's a **** of a question.

How can anyone watch VT's offense tonight and watch Miami's and not say the difference in this game was play-calling?

you could have watched FAU vs our depleted defense and it would have looked remarkable

is that so hard to realize

just lol @ some of you people

"RICHT NEEDS TO TAKE SOME SHOTS DOWN THE FIELD"

proceeds to call verticals instead of quick slants and rpo's....

"RICHT NEEDS TO GET THE BALL OUT OF KAYAAS HANDS FASTER KAYAA IS GETTING HIT"

*shrug*

Here are some facts

what do you wanna do? Put rosier in?

Same players on offense last year, and more production. Kaaya simply is not comfortable in this offense and is not comfortable making multiple reads. He holds onto the ball too long which is leading to sacks.

Here are some facts

what do you wanna do? Put rosier in?

If you honestly think that's the only other alternative then there's no point in having this discussion.

Advertisement
Back