Notes on Feeley, the new S&C coach

90% try 99% . But since this guy is a nut job redneck on youtube he can't be good LOL
Had very little to do with being a redneck. He has a great resume/background and has worked w some of the best coaches in the business.

Plus, he’s produced (LSU baseball in the 90s).

There was more to like with Hester. That’s all.

Advertisement
This is an uninformed post. RECRUITING IS NOT ENOUGH.

Bama and Clemson recruit monsters AND they have world-class S&C staffs. So "recruiting like Bama and Clemson" won't matter on the field if our S&C staff isn't up to par, because they will still have that +1 on any program that doesn't place a heavy emphasis on S&C.

Some people who make posts like this clearly don't understand HOW IMPORTANT the S&C coordinator is. He's like a second head coach; while practice times with the actual coaching staff is limited during the offseason, no such limitation exists with the S&C coordinator. It is a serious, serious position and one that great coaches (Saban, Meyer, and Swinney) place an ENORMOUS emphasis on.

Recruiting, flat out, is not, and never will be, enough - if we're trying to get on Clemson and Bama's level. Full stop.

I never said recruiting was enough. When you are landing the best high school athletes in the country who are already big strong kids it will make your S&C program look even better. Cochran has an easier job at Bama than Feely would have at Temple.

I never said recruiting was enough. When you are landing the best high school athletes in the country who are already big strong kids it will make your S&C program look even better. Cochran has an easier job at Bama than Feely would have at Temple.

Sorry man, didn't really mean to direct my post at you, so I apologize for coming off sounding like it did. It was moreso about other people on the board who keep saying that this hire doesn't mean anything. It does.

Advertisement
Clemson players getting caught with Ostarine should have been a slap to the face for a lot of our fans in denial. You know how ******* hard it is to get caught with Ostarine as a college football player?

But no, we just smoke weed at Miami.

Exactly. There’s so much stuff available that doesn’t show up in tests that’s reasonably affordable. Too easy to get away with to not take advantage of it

Manny is bigtime into those sabermetrics/stats, my guess is that he wants an S&C coach who also believes in the most modern, scientific training methods instead of old school "what's your bench" type S&C coaches.

Advertisement
Collins is a GT hire. This guy would have been a Collins hire. But Johnson, regardless of the archaic system, was a solid coach.

PJ was far from a solid coach. The guy brought an absolute terrible system to GT that set the program back big time. That said I don't see Collins as a great coach evaluator either.

PJ was far from a solid coach. The guy brought an absolute terrible system to GT that set the program back big time. That said I don't see Collins as a great coach evaluator either.

I tried to separate the system from the actual coaching. From a teaching and coaching standpoint he taught his system well and recruited well for that system. I don't disagree that the system was antiquated, just talking from a technical standpoint he was a solid coach.

FWIW I had 2 Temple transfers at ETSU. A QB and a LB and we sat down with them and talked S&C and their backgrounds to develop the best plan for them. Feeley focuses on Olympic lifts as their primary “style”. Don’t thibk he’s a Hatch disciple but he does that type of fast twitch development.

For a QB, Marchi was very good in the weight room and had very good technique. The LB was an absolute animal and probably pound for pound the best lifter we had and came in great shape straight from temple.

M-Jack has me tingly with this post...

Advertisement
I used to work for the Florida Panthers in the NHL and I remember during the draft we would always have a draft party and spend about 15 minutes getting to know the players, most from Europe and non of use qualified to evaluate players let alone sell the tickets and we’d get so ****ed when they wouldn’t pick our guy. This is very similar, I’ll take X coaches words over anyone else

FWIW I had 2 Temple transfers at ETSU. A QB and a LB and we sat down with them and talked S&C and their backgrounds to develop the best plan for them. Feeley focuses on Olympic lifts as their primary “style”. Don’t thibk he’s a Hatch disciple but he does that type of fast twitch development.

For a QB, Marchi was very good in the weight room and had very good technique. The LB was an absolute animal and probably pound for pound the best lifter we had and came in great shape straight from temple.

Appreciate the feedback and info. Good stuff

From a SC who I know - Feely is real good, players love and respect him.
Did an outstanding while job at S.Carolia as an assistant. Score one for Diaz

Advertisement
Could be a hidden gem, who knows. It was either the La Tech guy or the Temple guy. Not exactly the upper levels of CFB.

OC hire better not be some GA from Wichita State

Yo
You should know input from people who have actually worked with him doesn't matter. A quick google search is a better way to form an opinion.
Absolutely, what in the **** would someone who played for a guy or worked for a guy know about him. Just rely on fans on message boards to know what's up. I'm hearing Manny is waiting for a weeks worth of opinions from CIS posters before naming his OC! BTW, T Good knows plenty of people in the business.

Sorry man, didn't really mean to direct my post at you, so I apologize for coming off sounding like it did. It was moreso about other people on the board who keep saying that this hire doesn't mean anything. It does.

For those of us who are less informed, what does this hire mean?

Advertisement
Back