Notes from Richt after spring practice #10

View as article
Advertisement
Come on man, Are yall serious?

Travis is having to block either LBS or Dlineman that are waay bigger and stronger than him. You have to be decisive af and it isn't easy AT ALL. It doesnt matter how ferocious and fearless you are.

Like Richt said, it's only a split second to figure out if you need to cut or thump.

Shaq gets sent on a blitz, trav sees it and thumps him at the LOS. Chad bust thru the LOS and you gotta cut block him cuz you're not gonna thump him, you'll get bull rushed tf over.

that's what Richt is talking about recognizing when to use specific techniques, especially against different body types.

Its hard to pick up!
Right. You seem to be in agreement with what has been said. So what point are you trying to make in your rant at the people who've commented on the situation?

I think he's just trying to debunk the implied assertion that blitz pick up is simple/easy or at last should be for someone with a decent GPA

This is what the Spring is for... Working out your weaknesses & turning them into strengths.

Every player is working on their game, if you're expecting perfection every practice & every rep, then you're simply not being realistic.

Travis is having to block either LBS or Dlineman that are waay bigger and stronger than him. You have to be decisive af and it isn't easy AT ALL. It doesnt matter how ferocious and fearless you are.

Like Richt said, it's only a split second to figure out if you need to cut or thump.

Shaq gets sent on a blitz, trav sees it and thumps him at the LOS. Chad bust thru the LOS and you gotta cut block him cuz you're not gonna thump him, you'll get bull rushed tf over.

that's what Richt is talking about recognizing when to use specific techniques, especially against different body types.

Its hard to pick up!
Right. You seem to be in agreement with what has been said. So what point are you trying to make in your rant at the people who've commented on the situation?

Nah, some people in this thread are confused by Richts comment on Homer's physicality.

Maybe physical wasnt the best term to use because we know Trav aint afraid to get physical.

I don't care how physical you are. you ain't blocking A monster twice your size without proper technique. i think it would have been better if Richt harped more on his indecisiveness with technique rather than his physicality.

Advertisement
Surprised to hear Homer is struggling with being physical in pass protection considering the ferocity with which he attacked special teams.

I think lining up to block a kick or chase down a returner is a lot easier and more instinctual than learning where a blitz is coming from. On ST he can probably just fire away, whereas in protection there's more "thought" involved right now, limiting his physicality.

I agree with you and Cribby.

But unless I read it wrong, Rick made mention of manning up and being physical. I think I remember Homer being mentioned as a very high scholastic achiever, so I'd be surprised if he's struggling too much with the fairly simple mental aspects of pass blocking. Guys a lot dumber than him have picked that part up quickly.

He proved he is physical making some big plays on coverage units. When 55 or 53 are coming at you off the edge or through the A gap and have a 4 step head start, picking them up and stalling their progress is a different kind of physical. Maybe that is what CMR is referring to, or thats at least how I take it

Its hard to pick up!

Nah, some people in this thread are confused by Richts comment on Homer's physicality.

Maybe physical wasnt the best term to use because we know Trav aint afraid to get physical.

I don't care how physical you are. you ain't blocking A monster twice your size without proper technique. i think it would have been better if Richt harped more on his indecisiveness with technique rather than his physicality.

How do you know what Homer's exact problem is in pass protection? You guys speak authoritatively and haven't seen a single practice. Maybe he is having a problem with the physicality of it. Maybe he isn't. We don't know.

Advertisement

Its hard to pick up!

How do you know what Homer's exact problem is in pass protection? You guys speak authoritatively and haven't seen a single practice. Maybe he is having a problem with the physicality of it. Maybe he isn't. We don't know.

???

I never even acted like a knew what homers problem was in Pass pro. Where did you even get that?

I was speaking strictly on his physicality which shines thru on special teams and the fact that most career RBS dont have a problem with the physicality of football.
Reading richts comment its obvious that technique is the issue.

No amount of physicality is going to allow Trav to block a dlineman head up once he gets a full head of steam. I dont need to see a practice to know that.

Im not trying to act like i have inside knowledge or like i know what Travs weaknesses are......

:kobe:

Its hard to pick up!

How do you know what Homer's exact problem is in pass protection
? You guys speak authoritatively and haven't seen a single practice. Maybe he is having a problem with the physicality of it. Maybe he isn't. We don't know.

its definitely not coaching like you all love to allude too for some reason???

It's obvious what his exact problem is.... he's not making the best decisions when it comes to pass protection, simple.

Walton was incredible in pass pro last year. I have to think Brown had something to do with that. Yearby, on the other hand, was horrendous, which explains in large part why he didn't see the field later in the year.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back