Notebook: Thoughts from win over GT

View as article
A comment on the conservative play calling.

Not a football expert, but this is the 16th year I've been watching Richt coach college ball.
As far as conservative, I guess is he was worried about time of possession and what that would do to the Miami defense over the course of the game. As a fan, it is a lot easier to get the feel for that when you are at the stadium as opposed to watching on TV.

I had to be somewhere for family reasons, so I only heard the first 3 quarters on the radio (but got to see 4th quarter on tv), and, living in the Atlanta area, it was the Tech radio broadcast.

The Tech announcers were all over the time of possession stats early in the game, and rightly noting that scoring on quick drives against GT could bite you in the *** over the course of the game.

Then the U put up 2 defensive TD's in a hurry, and Richt could try to make the game as short as possible. Richt is good at doing the points/time on the clock/momentum calculation, but it can be a pain in the *** to watch, at times. The GT radio guys were *****ing about him using up the clock on offense and keeping the Miami D off the field for at least 5 'real' minutes, even on 3 and outs.

He still owns GT, though :cool:

And anyone *****ing about HOW you won by 2 touchdowns needs to consider what it is like to be a Georgia fan this morning and *****ing about how we LOST a game when we went up with 10 seconds left...

And I wish I could have been there in person to see Shaq score his first college TD.

Quit being so sensible!!

Good post man.

Advertisement
I do not want to see a frigging 3-4 for any reason. When the option dominated college football every played the Okie defense which while a 5 -2 was essentially a 3-4. Our 4-3 drove the option out of college. Why the heck would anyone think going with the 5-2/3-4 against the offense that use to dominate it is a good idea. I was liking Diaz a lot, now i am back to worried about his hire.

Our athletes ended the option temporarily. The option came back and won a natty title when Nebraska started recruited athletes.

I do not want to see a frigging 3-4 for any reason. When the option dominated college football every played the Okie defense which while a 5 -2 was essentially a 3-4. Our 4-3 drove the option out of college. Why the heck would anyone think going with the 5-2/3-4 against the offense that use to dominate it is a good idea. I was liking Diaz a lot, now i am back to worried about his hire.

Our athletes ended the option temporarily. The option came back and won a natty title when Nebraska started recruited athletes.

Back to back actually. But wasn't that when our decline under Denis was starting? He was running short on Butch/JJ recruits and living more on his own, as I recall. Tommy was also an exceptional option QB and Osborne sold his soul keeping that bunch of criminals on the team. If we recover, the option will again be suppressed -- if Diaz will stop messing with the 4-3.

Every game is different, but one stat that stood out to me was the fact that Clemson QB Deshaun Watson threw for 304 yards on 48 attempts last week against Georgia Tech – only 63 more yards thank Kaaya on 29 more attempts.

So is this a product of our playmakers or Kaya. Either way the passing game hasn't even been opened up yet and were still putting up some decent numbers.

Advertisement
I didn't like seeing the 3-4 either but it at least shows that Diaz is willing to go away from his base defense when he believes something else will work better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The run has been and will be a major weapon.. you never pull a kid like Walton, problem is, we have 3 backs that are starters so using them in the right situations can get difficult.
But to say no more is ignorant

We still dont have an identity on offense and we are heading into our two biggest games of the year.

That could be by design or it could be because Richt is still trying to feel things out.

I was impressed with how the freshman linebackers responded to in first exposure to GT's offense and overall I felt the game was managed well. GT was running the clock down so much that it was obvious that all Richt had to do was also run down the clock. I think the fact that you didnt see any deep balls was telling. There we plenty of times when Richards was 1 x 1 and the safety was leaning to Coley's side. It was there and we had success with it last week but we don't even attempt it this time? He knows its there guy... he was just keeping the D fresh.

Advertisement
We beat a conference opponent on the road by double digits, stayed healthy and showed nothing for FSU. It wasn't perfect but I'll take it.

No more Walton. Just please no more Walton. I've seen enough
Dumb post. Walton had 130 yards rushing and 2 TD's against App St. It's not his fault we kept trying to run into an 8 man front yesterday.

Walton's last 30 carries have gone for 94 yards.

He's now 98 carries for 310 yards and 3.2 ypc against ACC opponents.

It's not a coincidence that his only good games have come against our weakest opponents.

It's not the OL, it's not the play calling, it's not the defense stuffing the box. It's that stupid jump stop/hop step he does at or before the line of scrimmage that totally stops his forward momentum. Unless the hole is big enough to drive a truck through, he does that on every play. He does it consistently in the open field too.

I can't watch it anymore. They either need to coach him out of instinctually doing that, or give the carries to someone else.

Hard to believe we deliberately didn't open the playbook yesterday. I know they always same some stuff for big games, but on offense we are either TD or 3 and out. Kaaya has not played like we have expected, we win or lose on his back this Saturday.

Advertisement
Hard to believe we deliberately didn't open the playbook yesterday. I know they always same some stuff for big games, but on offense we are either TD or 3 and out. Kaaya has not played like we have expected, we win or lose on his back this Saturday.

MR is not deliberately vanilla. He is trying to win games and will use whatever he has to do that.

The real issue is this is the first year with BK playing this offense and they do not even have all the plays down yet.

It can take up to a full season to implement a complete playbook and these guys are on game four with only one against actual talent. It takes time. You cannot perfect 100+ plays in one off season. They are still figuring out what plays will work, what plays they do well and what plays are not working.

Forget all the vanilla stuff or poor play calling stuff. They just need some time to work it all out.
By the end of the season both the play calling and BK will look a lot different has they will have so many more plays practiced and perfected.

No more Walton. Just please no more Walton. I've seen enough

zOuxs.jpg

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back