Notebook: Thoughts from win over GT

Clemson ran that 3 and front with 2 LB's stacked a lot in their game on Thurs - they just executed it better.

I felt we should have added more 4 man fronts as well. Our secondary doesn't get off blocks, fill the lanes and tackle as well as Clemson.

It will be interesting to see what our D looks like against FSU next week.

Advertisement
No style points in this one but sometimes you need to win ugly which we did (and still won by 14).

Cook is a beast as we all know and the FSU game is all about containing Cook who has already singlehandedly beaten us the past two games. The D vs the run today albeit triple option left a lot to be desired.

On offense I agree that we have yet to see full use of out TE and WR but so offense has studs in all key positions save perhaps OL (and they may be much better than we give them credit for).

Let's channel some OB in us and welcome the FSU tribe like we used to: I want to see them in their cars afraid to walk into the stadium.

Go canes

Look for Mark Richt to open things up next week against Florida State, especially in the down field passing game and in the use of the tight ends Chris Herndon and David Njoku. Ahmmon Richards will need to be involved in the game plan next week as well.

I'm a little surprised we didn't see more of those things against an ACC opponent today. I'm starting to think this is just Richt's offense. Vanilla and conservative but effective thus far.

I about puked when Darling went down. Good to see him come back from that.

Yeah, but how nice was the screen to that side on the next play? Coley wouldn't have known, but Richt realized they'd rush from that side to capitalize on the starter being out.

Look for Mark Richt to open things up next week against Florida State, especially in the down field passing game and in the use of the tight ends Chris Herndon and David Njoku. Ahmmon Richards will need to be involved in the game plan next week as well.

I'm a little surprised we didn't see more of those things against an ACC opponent today. I'm starting to think this is just Richt's offense. Vanilla and conservative but effective thus far.

God i hope we open it up a little and begin some misdirection plays and play aggressively on both ends. We have been pretty vanilla on offense thus far and I hope it was on purpose.

Advertisement
You can't compare our run defense today vs our run defense against a normal offense.

We gave up less than 400 yards, scored 2 tds on D and forced 3 turnovers. That is not a horrible game by any means. GA Tech has a unique offense that is going to get some yardage on the ground.

All those great offenses Richt had over the years at FSU and GA and you think all of a sudden he's settling for being conservative? Cmon son... Keep watching

God i hope we open it up a little and begin some misdirection plays and play aggressively on both ends. We have been pretty vanilla on offense thus far and I hope it was on purpose.
Agreed.

Advertisement
L

Agreed.

I'm ready to see Yearby and Walton on the field together.

I do not want to see a frigging 3-4 for any reason. When the option dominated college football every played the Okie defense which while a 5 -2 was essentially a 3-4. Our 4-3 drove the option out of college. Why the heck would anyone think going with the 5-2/3-4 against the offense that use to dominate it is a good idea. I was liking Diaz a lot, now i am back to worried about his hire.

You realize that a 3-4, called correctly can and has stopped the option..I'll never understand the antipathy this fanbase has towards the 3-4. It's not the alignment that was the problem last year, it was the guy who was calling it, and teaching it.

Advertisement
Difference is Dnofrio had three down linemen with everyone else playing off. Diaz has three down linemen accompanied by three others (the two outside the and one covering an inside gap). 6 > 5 > 3

Joe Jackson, Michael Pinckney, Trent Harris, Corn Elder & Shaq Quarterman were all great this game.

I feel like Ahmmon needed the ball more, and he still played lights out... Can't wait until he really gets unleashed!
Berrios, Coley & Herndon all played well too.

Herndon did not play well outside of that catch.

That win was butt-ugly.

But we really didn't do much - and still won.

Didn't see crossing patterns, didn't go deep, didn't use our tight ends - FSU isn't going to had DIDDLY-SQUAT for film to look at.

Intel wins wars ehh arch?

Richt coaching smart.

Advertisement

All those great offenses Richt had over the years at FSU and GA and you think all of a sudden he's settling for being conservative? Cmon son... Keep watching

dudes just show they don't know what they're talking about.

I do not want to see a frigging 3-4 for any reason. When the option dominated college football every played the Okie defense which while a 5 -2 was essentially a 3-4. Our 4-3 drove the option out of college. Why the heck would anyone think going with the 5-2/3-4 against the offense that use to dominate it is a good idea. I was liking Diaz a lot, now i am back to worried about his hire.

You realize that a 3-4, called correctly can and has stopped the option..I'll never understand the antipathy this fanbase has towards the 3-4. It's not the alignment that was the problem last year, it was the guy who was calling it, and teaching it.

It comes from watching OUR 4-3 for 30 years. It is ideal for our athletes, their speed, and aggression. If you can't play a 4-3 then sure a 3-4 might work, but why bother. Plus, a 3-4 has two requirements that hurt it here. If needs a serious NT and the supply of those humans is short. Miami style DT for its 4-3 are much more plentiful. Second is requires thinking first -- a requirement if you are slow, but a handicap if you are fast.

I thought the defense kept getting out flanked with guys trying to go under blocks. The defense contained those outside options better with Harris and Joe Jackson in the game because of their speed. We can't let Cook get around the corner, LB'ers gotta make quicker reads take better angles. I noticed the passing offense clicked with the 3 WR and empty sets. That's the Richt fast break offense I thought we would see. We've been pretty vanilla and I hope to see things open up next week.

A comment on the conservative play calling.

Not a football expert, but this is the 16th year I've been watching Richt coach college ball.
As far as conservative, I guess is he was worried about time of possession and what that would do to the Miami defense over the course of the game. As a fan, it is a lot easier to get the feel for that when you are at the stadium as opposed to watching on TV.

I had to be somewhere for family reasons, so I only heard the first 3 quarters on the radio (but got to see 4th quarter on tv), and, living in the Atlanta area, it was the Tech radio broadcast.

The Tech announcers were all over the time of possession stats early in the game, and rightly noting that scoring on quick drives against GT could bite you in the *** over the course of the game.

Then the U put up 2 defensive TD's in a hurry, and Richt could try to make the game as short as possible. Richt is good at doing the points/time on the clock/momentum calculation, but it can be a pain in the *** to watch, at times. The GT radio guys were *****ing about him using up the clock on offense and keeping the Miami D off the field for at least 5 'real' minutes, even on 3 and outs.

He still owns GT, though :cool:

And anyone *****ing about HOW you won by 2 touchdowns needs to consider what it is like to be a Georgia fan this morning and *****ing about how we LOST a game when we went up with 10 seconds left...

And I wish I could have been there in person to see Shaq score his first college TD.

Advertisement
Back