Not that yall care, but I can't sleep so eat my thoughts. *THE BEARDY REPORT*

PFF had the O-Line allowing four hurries all game, yet we have someone here calling the O-Line **** poor in pass protection.

I dont get it. Theres being overly negative and then theres that.

Advertisement
Many of us on this board talked about the liability of the defense over summer. Specifically about baker. Of course the pumpers on here ridiculed us but I believe everyone is starting to see it now. I believe baker is the scapegoat this off season. The guy ain’t it
imo the only reason he's still here is Enos was the bigger problem. You can't replace both your coordinators in year one without looking bad yourself. Bakers days are numbered. Pony up and get a high end DC.

I like constructive criticism on defense, but sometimes you need to focus on the whole game instead of individual plays.
* UAB rushed for only 80 yards on 26 carries (3.1 ypc)
* We held them to 3 of 15 on 3rd down (so we got them off the field)
* We only had 1 sack, but tons of QB pressures which are equally effective
* We created 0 turnovers, but still held them to 14 points (7 of which came after Pope fumbled inside our own red zone)

Offense is a different story, so lets just hope we didn't show a lot. Clearly, we didn't use the TE's in the 1st half, so I'm under the impression Lashlee was set on winning this game on the ground.
Exactly. Defense has one overriding purpose: stop the other team from scoring. They did very well at that.

Advertisement
OFFENSE
*Don't panic. Offense always takes longer to get rolling than defense. It was clear to me that we kept it very vanilla.
I was a little unimpressed with the O-line though. I thought King got a little too much heat on occasion.
Without his mobility our offense looks pretty bad tonight IMO. He made some really awful throws.

*I also will say this, I know UAB's DC and although athletically they're not on our level, that guy has the ability to scheme up some ****. I knew he would make our offense work for everything. He gets his kids playing above their level.

*The talent at the RB position is just foolish. That is all.

*I wanna say something about Pope, but it's only the first game so I'll refrain from being too critical.

I'm not worried about the offense. We know Lashlee's resume. And I know the whole scheme isn't in yet (can't be).
We've seen what his offenses can do, his resume speaks for itself. We didn't see a lot of RPO today. We didn't see King keep it on read-option. We didn't see a power running game, we saw most inside zone. There was a lot that was left off the table. I would imagine they don't want to put too much on tape for our upcoming ACC opponents.

DEFENSE
How do you MF'ers continue to defend this ****? LOL
You can point to all the favorable stats you want to, I know WTF I'm looking at. It's basura.

*They continue to out-coach themselves by being too cute. I saw one blitz where we left TWO guys completely wide open. Fortunately their QB missed the throw.
On the long run by UAB we stunted right out of the gap and allowed TWO UAB O-linemen to reach our LB's untouched. They just get too **** cutesy. Blitzing the Striker from 6x5 yards away?! Who are you fooling with that?! The ball is gone before he gets anywhere near the QB!
YOU'RE FVCKIN' MIAMI! JUST LINE UP AND PLAY SOUND DEFENSE!

*Defensive Line I thought played pretty well. I can't blame them for any big gains in the running game because we do so much **** stunting up front. Don't get me wrong, sometimes it works. One of Nesta's TFL's came on a stunt. But when it doesn't, it's off to the races.
I think we only generated one sack tonight, and Roche's was stunting inside on the play, so it wasn't organic. I don't think DL will be an issue though. Our coaches need to just let them play.

*Linebackers - I don't recall them making any plays really. I'll have to rewatch the game. As I mentioned before, the long run wasn't their fault. Both LB's got engulfed by O-linemen that were untouched because the D-linemen they were supposed to block stunted out of the way. Not much a Linebacker can do about that.

*Safety - Don't remember too many plays on the ball, but I did see some god awful tackling. Whiffing on a UAB RB is never a good look for the future. I don't recall how they did in coverage or on run support near the LOS.

*Corners - At what point do we stop getting beat inside on man coverage? At what point do we let our big a$$ Corners put their hands on WR's instead of allowing free release? WTF is the point of playing press IF YOU AIN'T GONNA PRESS?!?!?! I saw Blades get beat inside on back-to-back plays. On the second one he made a nice hustle play and punched the ball out, but let's focus on not allowing that inside route to begin with. I always thought this was like the #1 rule in press-man coverage? *shrug* Yet our CB's have struggled with this since Diaz/Rumph have been here. IT'S CAUSE WE DON'T IMPEDE THE WR'S RELEASE AT ALL! We just shadow them!

*This defense has a way of letting inferior players have a field day. It's either a QB, a RB or a WR that puts up his career numbers. Whether it's FIU's RB gashing us for over 100 yards or Wisconsin's QB looking like Dan Marino, we're guaranteed to give somebody their shining moment. UAB's QB started the game 8/9 passing, but that's not it. How 'bout their WR catching 8 balls for 117 yards. LOL. Who the fvck is this guy?! Is it too much to ask of our defense to completely shut a D1AA offense down? Like shove them and their whole gameplan in the ****ter?! We don't have any DB's at Miami that can keep this kid with offers from UAB and Ball State from looking like Larry Fitzgerald? This fvckin' guy was the best WR on the field tonight!

Overall not an AWFUL performance. Most of what I say is tongue-in-cheek and yall know I talk ****, but IMO there are some glaring weaknesses. I'll consider the fact that maybe it's first game jitters, but I'll also consider the fact that these weaknesses are usually magnified when you play better opponents. If our CB's can't cover UAB's WR's they're not gonna magically figure out how to cover Clemson's.

I'm not worried about the offense, but I want our defensive staff to stop out-coaching themselves. Most of the time when we give up big plays it's because we're being cute or unsound. Just line-up and play!

That is all.
I love you Coach Macho, but I wanted to slap you through this computer screen for even having the thought of putting Ivey on the line in tight press coverage.

Give a **** what PFF says.
I definitely saw more than 4 hurries.
I don't know if they were "**** poor" though.
I think a lot of the hurries I saw came from the second level. We held at the line for the most part. But we couldn't pick up the blitz or just a stacked box.

I saw the UAB OL doubling our DTs at the line, or taking a pop at our DEs, then getting out to our LBs and taking them entirely out of the play on multiple occasions. McCloud got washed out more often than not. I didn't see that with our OL.

So while they're improved form the worst OL in the ACC and probably in the G5, they're still mediocre. They should handle UL next week. But let's see what they do vs. FSU, Clemson, etc.

To his credit, Ragone was always around the ball. Seems like a smart player who overcomes his lack of skills compared to the others with being a cerebral player. That’s why he’s playing.
this is what blows me away?? nobody seems to notice that he has a nose for the ball. If everyone or anyone would take time and go back and watch when he is on the field. He is a PLAYMAKER!!! It boggles my mind why everyone just assumes that he can't play

Last edited:
Advertisement
You know one thing that ticks me off? Taking Miller off the field on obvious passing downs when he is obliterating everything in his way. If you want to get to the QB, why take out the dude in the middle that is wrecking $h!t? Same with Nesta. For the love of God, put those two in on 3rd and long. Stop getting cute and let your big dogs eat.
👎🏾

OFFENSE
*Don't panic. Offense always takes longer to get rolling than defense. It was clear to me that we kept it very vanilla.
I was a little unimpressed with the O-line though. I thought King got a little too much heat on occasion.
Without his mobility our offense looks pretty bad tonight IMO. He made some really awful throws.

*I also will say this, I know UAB's DC and although athletically they're not on our level, that guy has the ability to scheme up some ****. I knew he would make our offense work for everything. He gets his kids playing above their level.

*The talent at the RB position is just foolish. That is all.

*I wanna say something about Pope, but it's only the first game so I'll refrain from being too critical.

I'm not worried about the offense. We know Lashlee's resume. And I know the whole scheme isn't in yet (can't be).
We've seen what his offenses can do, his resume speaks for itself. We didn't see a lot of RPO today. We didn't see King keep it on read-option. We didn't see a power running game, we saw most inside zone. There was a lot that was left off the table. I would imagine they don't want to put too much on tape for our upcoming ACC opponents.

DEFENSE
How do you MF'ers continue to defend this ****? LOL
You can point to all the favorable stats you want to, I know WTF I'm looking at. It's basura.

*They continue to out-coach themselves by being too cute. I saw one blitz where we left TWO guys completely wide open. Fortunately their QB missed the throw.
On the long run by UAB we stunted right out of the gap and allowed TWO UAB O-linemen to reach our LB's untouched. They just get too **** cutesy. Blitzing the Striker from 6x5 yards away?! Who are you fooling with that?! The ball is gone before he gets anywhere near the QB!
YOU'RE FVCKIN' MIAMI! JUST LINE UP AND PLAY SOUND DEFENSE!

*Defensive Line I thought played pretty well. I can't blame them for any big gains in the running game because we do so much **** stunting up front. Don't get me wrong, sometimes it works. One of Nesta's TFL's came on a stunt. But when it doesn't, it's off to the races.
I think we only generated one sack tonight, and Roche's was stunting inside on the play, so it wasn't organic. I don't think DL will be an issue though. Our coaches need to just let them play.

*Linebackers - I don't recall them making any plays really. I'll have to rewatch the game. As I mentioned before, the long run wasn't their fault. Both LB's got engulfed by O-linemen that were untouched because the D-linemen they were supposed to block stunted out of the way. Not much a Linebacker can do about that.

*Safety - Don't remember too many plays on the ball, but I did see some god awful tackling. Whiffing on a UAB RB is never a good look for the future. I don't recall how they did in coverage or on run support near the LOS.

*Corners - At what point do we stop getting beat inside on man coverage? At what point do we let our big a$$ Corners put their hands on WR's instead of allowing free release? WTF is the point of playing press IF YOU AIN'T GONNA PRESS?!?!?! I saw Blades get beat inside on back-to-back plays. On the second one he made a nice hustle play and punched the ball out, but let's focus on not allowing that inside route to begin with. I always thought this was like the #1 rule in press-man coverage? *shrug* Yet our CB's have struggled with this since Diaz/Rumph have been here. IT'S CAUSE WE DON'T IMPEDE THE WR'S RELEASE AT ALL! We just shadow them!

*This defense has a way of letting inferior players have a field day. It's either a QB, a RB or a WR that puts up his career numbers. Whether it's FIU's RB gashing us for over 100 yards or Wisconsin's QB looking like Dan Marino, we're guaranteed to give somebody their shining moment. UAB's QB started the game 8/9 passing, but that's not it. How 'bout their WR catching 8 balls for 117 yards. LOL. Who the fvck is this guy?! Is it too much to ask of our defense to completely shut a D1AA offense down? Like shove them and their whole gameplan in the ****ter?! We don't have any DB's at Miami that can keep this kid with offers from UAB and Ball State from looking like Larry Fitzgerald? This fvckin' guy was the best WR on the field tonight!

Overall not an AWFUL performance. Most of what I say is tongue-in-cheek and yall know I talk ****, but IMO there are some glaring weaknesses. I'll consider the fact that maybe it's first game jitters, but I'll also consider the fact that these weaknesses are usually magnified when you play better opponents. If our CB's can't cover UAB's WR's they're not gonna magically figure out how to cover Clemson's.

I'm not worried about the offense, but I want our defensive staff to stop out-coaching themselves. Most of the time when we give up big plays it's because we're being cute or unsound. Just line-up and play!

That is all.

Glad your not a real coach.

Advertisement
Back