Not that rankings matter this time of year but....

This is dumb. Obviously we want to move up before the end of the season. Don't want to shoot up to 10 after winning an FCS in game 3 and then go in to Philly thinking we are all that and pull a Pitt. All we need is someone telling us how great we are right now. I've seen this movie too many times.
Bruh, this **** only matters to fans and the media. You think the team and coaches are focused on rankings!? Fire everyone now if that’s the case..

Advertisement
This is dumb. Obviously we want to move up before the end of the season. Don't want to shoot up to 10 after winning an FCS in game 3 and then go in to Philly thinking we are all that and pull a Pitt. All we need is someone telling us how great we are right now. I've seen this movie too many times.
It’s a bum mentality. Mario gets paid to make sure the team comes out prepared and this year he has done a **** good job at it. A number next to the name Miami isn’t gonna change that

My prediction this week is #20 or #21. There will be more opportunities to move up if the Canes beat Temple and GT the next couple of weeks because teams in the 11-20 range are playing tough games or each other.

If we just take care of business, the polls will align with our success

Advertisement
The FPI based ranking has a team that lost to its #7 ranked team and struggled badly against a G5 team that in turn previously lost to Western Kentucky and only beat FCS FAMU by two touchdowns, as their #4 team. Clearly their formula needs reworking.

At this point in the season it’s still factoring in preseason power rankings to some extent. Same with good metrics like SP+. With each passing week those are kneaded out and you get a clearer picture.

What’s encouraging to see is that our own ranking is climbing in these opponent-adjusted systems

The FPI based ranking has a team that lost to its #7 ranked team and struggled badly against a G5 team that in turn previously lost to Western Kentucky and only beat FCS FAMU by two touchdowns, as their #4 team. Clearly their formula needs reworking.
Their #21 team has soundly beaten Kent St, Villanova, and squeaked by Boise St by 2.

I don't think they have the strength of the opponent down right.

Advertisement
I suspect we move up 1, maybe 2 spots. we'll see more movement next week when colorado is hammered by Oregon and some others in the middle lose (ton of ranked teams play next week)

Advertisement
I am just a fan but what i will say is this. Perception is a big thing. When its in the media that a team has a streak or has spent a significant time ranked from year to year, its good to hear that when its your team. For instance, what was the longest streak of Miami being ranked in the top 25 in either poll? Its just good marketing I think.

I don't see us going up more than a spot or two given Tenn won't drop below us (they should but hey, it's the mighty SEC) and only KSU likely to drop out.

Fpi is future looking. Ffs.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back