NOT FOOTBALL RELATED (JOB SEARCH)

marshallrc13

Senior
Fellas and Ladies,

I have never had to look for a job. I worked at Winn Dixie from 14-18 in Brandon, Fl and have been in the Marines ever since. I am going through the process of transitioning out and these classes are great but there is so much info! Do you have any tips for the current job market? I know this is a broad question but anything can help. I am in a week long class teaching us networking, resume writing, job searching, and some interviewing techniques.

I am in Supply and Logistics and looking to stay in Norfolk, Va or move back to Florida depending on the job market. Thanks!!!

Advertisement
Fellas and Ladies,

I have never had to look for a job. I worked at Winn Dixie from 14-18 in Brandon, Fl and have been in the Marines ever since. I am going through the process of transitioning out and these classes are great but there is so much info! Do you have any tips for the current job market? I know this is a broad question but anything can help. I am in a week long class teaching us networking, resume writing, job searching, and some interviewing techniques.

I am in Supply and Logistics and looking to stay in Norfolk, Va or move back to Florida depending on the job market. Thanks!!!

Can you coach a defense?
161.gif

Can't really help, but best of luck to you. Some of the very best people I ever had work for me were newly separated Marines.

I'm not alone in that observation. You'll be fine.

Land N Sea Distributing Norfolk ..headquartered in Pompano Beach

Paxton Marine Norfolk

are you clean cut and look like you want to work or tattooed up looking for a handout..?? Hate to ask but about 65% of applicants that apply at my firm are never getting hired with the way they look.....good people but business is business

Fellas and Ladies,

I would consider coming back to florida and going to college, you will receive the instate tuition rate.
http://tbo.com/news/politics/florida-gi-bill-would-slash-tuition-costs-for-vets-20140202/

Consider going the community college route then transferring to a University. Valencia College was ranked the nations #1 community college last year, then you can transfer to UCF. Going that route would offer the most bang for your buck and flexibility course scheduling.

The VA has job fairs all the time, with employers looking for vets. Also there are quite a few logistical opportunities working with distribution centers in central Florida. 1/3 of all US Imports and Expors flow through Florida.

The best thing I can tell you is to develop and master what is called "Your 2 minute Commercial". That is your ability to effectively tell someone / employer about yourself in 2 mins. You never know when you will make an important contact ( grocery store, car wash, jury duty, or in an elevator) so have to be able to tell them about yourself, what you want, and what you can do for a company.

Don't laugh but strongly Consider companies in the food distribution, Spirit ( alcohol) distribution, energy, or waste handling industry because they are virtually recession proof an all have linear career paths.

Good luck and thank you for your service

Last edited:
Advertisement
Try police departments. I know in South Florida most departments prefer you go through the academy on your own now, but with your background and if you take those courses you probably get picked up right away.

Don't know about your specific industry but generally I would say to research the company you are applying to and tailor your resume/cover letter to that organization. You also must do things that set you apart from the typical candidate. It is a must that you kick *** during the interview phase, and don't forget to send a thank you letter afterwards. There is a science to this, and just like anything else you must prepare to be successful. Good luck!! :neonu:

Thank you for your service! God Bless!

What Paranos said is also a solid option. I know a lot of schools, including UM, offer favorable rates for veterans so you may want to look into that.

I'm an IT Recruiter for a fortune 5 management consulting firm. I probably wouldn't be able to help with the gigs you're looking for but I can help rewrite/reformat a resume if you need help with that. PM me your e mail addy if you want.

Advertisement
Thanks everyone. Much appreciated. I'd coach the def in a heartbeat and I guarantee they'd be better. Surprisingly I have no tattoos. I have a wife a a little one so school isn't an option.

I may be wrong, but I think it was Whoop who has a firm that specializes in this, you should hit him up.

I'd say at each step be honest with yourself, and pay a lot of attention to your feelings. What CAN you do, and what do you WANT to do. And thank you so very much for your service to our country. At one point in my life I thought about joining the U. S. armed forces as a way of helping my fellow countrymen and really, as I saw things then, the whole of humanity. Instead, I went to college and learned some things that I could teach to others. I really like teaching, but I still remember those precious feelings of wanting to help through being part of the military. I wish you all the best.

Advertisement
Fellas and Ladies,

I have a friend, attended UM in the '50's and retired Navy in the '90's. Believe he was a Commander. A logistician, I think. I haven't been in touch in a year or so. He had been fighting serious illness but expected to overcome it. I don't know if he could be of any help if he were healthy. He worked as a civilian for several naval contractors. I need to inquire and find out how he's doing. If he's doing well, I could ask if he has any insight in terms of future opportunities for someone with your particular experience. If I can turn up anything useful, I'll send you a message.

I haven't looked myself for a quarter century. They used to tell us the most fruitful way was networking, person-to-person, and not just filling out applications and mailing resumes. (I guess it's not so much mailing resumes, since now it's through the internet.) Maybe try to think of all the people you've known-- friends, family, friends of family, people you've met through your job over the years, people you might have met at Hurricane Watch parties, etc. After you start talking to them, see if they can come up with additional names. Keep the process going that way. Maybe contractors you worked with on the outside. Let them know you're looking, ask for ideas, suggestions, more names.

I don't really know if the philosophy of the job search has changed from the late '80's, early'90's. A popular book back then was Richard Bolles, What Color is Your Parachute. Don't know if it is as relevant or applicable today.

They always used to say most jobs were found through networking. If I have any other ideas, I'll be back. Thanks for your service and good luck!

Advertisement
marshallrc3,

Was in your shoes about seven years ago, transitioning from active duty after 23 or so years of military time. DoD TAP (at least when I went through) tries to orient you to a strictly private sector job, but to be honest, I think that is a disservice. You have received some great advice from the board members here ("It's not a nation, it's a Family") but I would like to add my 2 cents from the perspective of someone who has been there. The military needs a lot of people who have military skills, but who are not in the military. Many jobs which were previously held by uniformed personnel when you signed up are now held by contractors or civil service.

You stated you would like to stay in the Norfolk area, have a Supply/Logistics MOS (30,31,or 66 series, I'm guessing) and I imagine you have SECRET clearance eligibility. Using that as a baseline, there may be jobs which need those specific qualifications. For example, I know the Military Sealift Command contracts out their Maritime Pre-positioning Squadrons (MPSRON). As you probably know, these are loaded with gear for a MEB and are located near potential hotspots. The contractor(s) may be looking for someone like you who knows Tables of Allowance, MILSTRIP, POL requisitioning, etc.

Google USAJOBS; This is a where you find govt. jobs in DoD, DHS, etc. Vets get preferences based on disability and campaign time. You will need a resume, plus DD214, and VA docs (if claiming a disability). One word of caution: Read the application requirements THOUROUGHLY. If you miss anything, you go right to the reject pile.

Best of luck and congratulations!

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back