Not difficult to look at the keys of this game

As long as we dont rise to the occasion and be like cheeseburgers we should come out winners in life.

Advertisement
Not an X's and O's guy but I would expect us to be in our base package for most of the game? Which I hate given how well our DBs have been playing. McCloud/M. Smith/Owens have to be dudes this week.

Expect to see a similar defense to what we saw against Vtech. We will probably see more Delaney, Smith, and Carter with less Bandy, Young, and Dean. Diaz will want the bigger more physical DB's in to tackle. ND's Wr's are also on the larger side with their best WR 6'5". Expect to see J. Johnson/Redwine closer to the line on the left side of the formation to fill any gaps missed by the LB's. ND's LG and LT are their best players.

Our keys to the game is to dominant the line of scrimmage on both sides of the ball. Defensively live on their side and offensively open up big holes for Homer and Dallas to gash them. So that will open up the long passes to Thomas and Richards. Canes 31-17!

Advertisement
It comes down to this

1. Can we stop ND run game?
2. Can our offense be consistent?

This isn't a case of talent, we have the talent the issue is we have been a very inconsistent team this year and have been able to squeak by. We can not give up 3 turn overs and let them gash our defense for long runs. Our LB play has been our Achilles heal (expected to been a strength) they need to show up and stop Nd from running all over us.

I expected this team to lose two games this year and think they can win this week but I don't think they can stop the run. So this game will come down to our offense.

This squad is going to give up some runs....we have seen it about every game. I hate it, but it is just what it is. If our linebacking core can play disciplined and wrap up...we should be ok.

Stop the run when it counts in the red zone and DO NOT turn the ball over.

#4 Jaquan Johnson is going to be huge. I suspect we will crowd the box and have #4 sitting a bit deeper as the eraser. We've shown that look quite a lot. He's been $ so far this year erasing mistakes and getting dudes on the ground. We need his best game thus far.

Gonna come down to our O Line again. They absolutely need to be able to get push and create running lanes. This is a put up or shut up game for the second week. They played well last week and need to do it again.

On D, I would spy the Sh-t out of Wimbush on any 3rd down because he will want to run.

Advertisement
Our keys to the game is to dominant the line of scrimmage on both sides of the ball. Defensively live on their side and offensively open up big holes for Homer and Dallas to gash them. So that will open up the long passes to Thomas and Richards. Canes 31-17!

Doubtful they dominate ND on LOS.. very doubtful..ND has best oline in country..

You better believe Diaz will have us ready and we won't get run over all night. We've given up big runs mainly to passing teams on qb scrambles and draws. This week we will stop the run first.

Advertisement

Doubtful they dominate ND on LOS.. very doubtful..ND has best oline in country..

Here we go...

Here's how they've fared against similar run defenses:
(3) Michigan State: 87 YPG/ 2.85 Yards Per Rush (ND: 182 Yards/ 4.6 YPR) >>> Scored 38 Points
(5) Georgia: 89 YPG/3.06 Yards Per Rush (ND: 55 Yards/1.5 YPR) >>> Scored 19 Points
(31) NC State: 131.2 YPG/3.85 Yards Per Rush (ND: 318 Yards/5.9 YPR) >>>Scored 35 Points
(71) USC: 172 YPG/4.65 Yards Per Rush (ND: 377 Yards/8.0 YPR) >>>Scored 49 Points

(66) Miami: 170 YPG/3.92 Yards Per Rush

So their results indicate they've been able to run the ball and score on two objectively better run defenses (MSU, NC State) while struggling with another (Georgia).

Given what we know, they are going to get theirs on the ground. So in my mind, the game comes down to Rosier and the offense doing their part and playing effective against an average defense.

Last edited:
It comes down to this

This isn't a case of talent, we have the talent the issue is we have been a very inconsistent team this year and have been able to squeak by. We can not give up 3 turn overs and let them gash our defense for long runs. Our LB play has been our Achilles heal (expected to been a strength) they need to show up and stop Nd from running all over us.

I expected this team to lose two games this year and think they can win this week but I don't think they can stop the run. So this game will come down to our offense.

Agreed. But to add to #2 , ND is going to try to keep Miami in front of them. No big plays. If we sustain drives, we must score touchdowns in the red zone, which has obviously been a problem this year.

Advertisement

He is ok until we start teeing off on him on Saturday. Same with the QB. This will be a battle and it will be interesting to see if they can take the pounding for all 4 quarters.

I was at the last game and the crowd noise was deafening at times. That by itself could trigger some headaches!

discipline on defense. this isn't the 95 cornhuskers or those alabama teams that lined up and ran it up the middle every play against 10 in the box and still got 8 yds per attempt. they get their yards by finding the holes the defense leaves open. be smart and we should be ok.

It comes down to this

Agree with number 1. Number 2? Meh. We've been winning games with an inconsistent offense that relies on the big play to score points and our D to keep us in games. ND supposedly guards well against the big play, but it may very well be impossible to do that with perfection against Miami's speedy receivers. I think it's more important to get the running game going like we did against VT. A balanced offensive attack + a defense that slows ND down will result in a victory. GO CANES!!!

Advertisement
Back