Not difficult to look at the keys of this game

Saltycane

Sophomore
Premium
It comes down to this

1. Can we stop ND run game?
2. Can our offense be consistent?

This isn't a case of talent, we have the talent the issue is we have been a very inconsistent team this year and have been able to squeak by. We can not give up 3 turn overs and let them gash our defense for long runs. Our LB play has been our Achilles heal (expected to been a strength) they need to show up and stop Nd from running all over us.

I expected this team to lose two games this year and think they can win this week but I don't think they can stop the run. So this game will come down to our offense.

Advertisement
I trust in Manny and the Defense to rise to the occasion. They may give up some long runs here and there but they will tighten up and make the adjustments they need to do as the game goes on.

On offense this needs to be the game we finally score consistently near the goalline. Hopefully we can do it early and often.

Advertisement
Load the box and make them take their chances against our ball hogging secondary. Let's go.

Advertisement
If A. Richards can perform at his stellar level, we can put great pressure on the Domers. On Defense we must tackle well, gang tackle. We must let their QB no that he will get hit.

Also, if Rosier can avoid the turnover we will be in good shape.

The key is to get out front by at least 2 scores. If we're up say 10 in the second half they will be forced to speed up their offense to get within striking distance which will mean less running and more chances for us to make plays against them. Then we just have to match them score for score.

1. Keep ND behind the chains and off schedule. Force Wimbush to beat us with his arm. Beat the crap out of him. The crowd will be a factor as well.
2. Get off the field on 3rd down on defense. Again - use the crowd to our advantage.
3. Sustain drives on offense by winning the LOS, staying ahead of the sticks, and relying on your go-to guys like Homer, Berrios, Richards, and Herndon. Possess the football.
4. Protect the football - don't give ND short fields for cheap scores.
5. Hit a couple big plays to Richards or Thomas.
6. Celebrate the program's biggest victory in years.

Advertisement
notre lame is most happy and feel safe in their 2 high safety soft zone coverages. It is a simple math problem. If we can run the football against their 2 hi, and not turn the ball over we should win. If we can't run the ball against that defense, it will force Rozier to read underneath coverages and throw the ball into windows. That makes me nervous. Now, if we can run the ball effectively, that will force them to come down with a safety, putting them into one on one's on the outside. Now Rozier can light them up with the one on one long ball. Like all football games, the team that rushes for the most yds, doesn't turn the ball over, and has fewer than 12 missed tackles, usually wins. Go Hurricanes!!!!

Is RB Adams 100%?

According to Brian Kelly he is 100%

Then again, that scissor lift was 100% too
******* knockout comment. Lmao.
7b6ba34e142f596eae6e86b19f2df951.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

I think that a major key/question with this game is, will Malik be able to recognize where the easy money is against this ND defense, and be patient? I don't think we can afford to throw 3 picks this week and still win.

Advertisement
The last running team we played, our LB's rose to the occasion. I expect that again.

I think whether a team is "good" or even "great" boils down to consistency. I say that with the premise that you have enough talent to beat every team you play, which a lot of P5 teams do.

Almost any team or unit can look good for a series, quarter, or even a game. But the name of the game is consistency. Playing well consistently, that is.

That's why so many fans get frustrated about losses and bad seasons because much of the time they're right to say "we have the talent." Let's face it, almost every year, we have enough "talent" to beat every team we play. But can we play well on a consistent enough basis to win a game?

This team certainly has enough talent (and proper coaching) to beat ND and anyone else that might line up against us the rest of the season. The catch is, we're becoming more consistent on D and O. To beat ND we need to continue on that trajectory, especially the O. Defense can't take a step back, but just playing to our current standard will get it done let alone if we play better.

But offense needs to build on the VT game and continue getting better on a drive-to-drive basis. If we can take another step forward, even a small one, there's absolutely no reason to lose this game. Gotta play well the entire game, capitalize on opportunities, and minimize mistakes. Don't give away possessions.

Advertisement
Back