Not breaking news, but…

Advertisement
MOH is now 8-2 and they're very much a defensive team. Akron obviously isn't great but they shut them out last night. Pitching shutouts in CFB in 2023 is nothing to sneeze at. So we obviously should have and did beat them up, but the line was only 16.5 and we beat them by 35 and had almost 500 yards of offense.
They shut out Joe Moorehead?

Cbs What GIF by The Late Late Show with James Corden

Don’t do it, Mario!!!!! 😂😂

Advertisement
Hold on.

So if Mario starts TVD and TVD suddenly plays well enough to beat Miami’s arch-rival, which also happens to be the #4 team in the country, the overall outcome is that you will be upset with Mario?
What is the right decision this Saturday in your opinion? Should he start TVD? I think that he should not start him. I am more concerned with the coach making the right decision the vast majority of the time and then over the course of a career, that coach will be successful. The result does not justify the decision. If he doesn't start TVD and we lose, I will not be mad at him for that decision.
If he does start him and we win, I would certainly prefer that over him starting him and we lose of course. But I will look at Mario that he made a bad choice and just got lucky that it worked out and if he continues that pattern, he will cause us to be a mediocre program.
Just like if he decides to run the ball against Ga Tech instead of taking a knee and Don doesn't fumble and we win, I am still disappointed with him because I know that kind of decision-making long term is not going to lead to a successful program.
My concern is Mario losing the locker room if he plays TVD Saturday because body language to me in the last game leads me to believe that a lot of the key players are not wanting to play for TVD right now and would prefer a change to see if either it will be better, or it might cause TVD to play better if they go back to him.
I think based on what I have observed from TVD that if he gets benched it won't help him any and he won't really care. I don't know that for a fact, just my opinion of him from the last several years of watching and listening to him. He plays injured and tries to tough it out, so I don't question him on that, but he is holding us back right now and something needs to change.
If that made sense. Lol

hoenst question, does orange bowl just speak sometimes wihtout understanding rhe arugment - it isnt the number of passes vs runs and it was never that. its how we run, our formations, etc.
Lol if you don’t think at least half the people on this board literally are just making it about number of runs vs number of passes you’re not paying attention or purposefully ignoring it cause it isn’t fitting what YOU are saying.

MOH is now 8-2 and they're very much a defensive team. Akron obviously isn't great but they shut them out last night. Pitching shutouts in CFB in 2023 is nothing to sneeze at. So we obviously should have and did beat them up, but the line was only 16.5 and we beat them by 35 and had almost 500 yards of offense.
A good point then. This certainly makes that win look a lot better.

Lol if you don’t think at least half the people on this board literally are just making it about number of runs vs number of passes you’re not paying attention or purposefully ignoring it cause it isn’t fitting what YOU are saying.
the smart arguments were always how we play on offense and not a simple thing as number of runs vs passes but maybe it doesnt fit your pro-mario argument?

Advertisement
i dont think a fan does anything to harm a program. theyre being a fan. mario is doing worse to the program than any fan does with our saturday performance. the world doesnt give a hsit bout a message board, thye have eyes where they can see we look like ****.
Except he wasn’t strictly making this post as a fan now was he? Ask the insiders if reporters or people with inside info leaking said info or like commitments before they are announced help or actively hurt.

the smart arguments were always how we play on offense and not a simple thing as number of runs vs passes but maybe it doesnt fit your pro-mario argument?
So does the smart argument completely ignore that against GTech and UNC we weren’t playing like that, against Clemson we had a true frosh QB making his first start against a good Clemson defense, and that for the past 5 weeks our QB has been an absolute turnover machine on anything more than 10 yards downfield? Lol

We are officially credited with 272 rushing attempts, and 266 passing attempts. And that includes blowout wins over MOH, Temple, and the Clemson game where we put handcuffs on the quarterback.

We are most certainly not running the ball every play, contrary to what this board makes people want to believe.
I think part of the reason is because it FEELS that way. Most of these throws are screens of some kind or extremely short passes, all of which may as well be runs. Add to that, the fact that most longer (5+yd) passes seem to fail and that most of the success comes running and it starts to feel like all we do is run the ball.

That contrasts a lot with this idealized version of the Lashlee scheme we remember which worked pretty much in reverse and here we are.

Except he wasn’t strictly making this post as a fan now was he? Ask the insiders if reporters or people with inside info leaking said info or like commitments before they are announced help or actively hurt.
lol i basically leaked a commitment with zero information other than guessing - the kid still committed and is our strongest commitment or one of right now. it doesnt make a single difference what a fan says anonymously on a message board. not a single person knows who you are or me or ghandi based on usernames other than the board mods. this stuff doesnt matter but i get it, you guys wanna blame someone else or anyone else other than the idiot on the sidelines actually making an impact that is real and tangible and not some made up fan fiction. anyways i end up losing here bc i still renew my tickets, donate back, etc. so **** it, we suck and i still come back for more

Advertisement
Lane does whatever it takes to win. Last year he was waaaaay run heavy, but was very multiple in how he accomplished it.
So guess when we win by running it it’s not doing what it takes to win, even though we have a QB actively sabotaging any chance we have at winning by giving the defense the ball 3x a game…

What is the right decision this Saturday in your opinion? Should he start TVD? I think that he should not start him. I am more concerned with the coach making the right decision the vast majority of the time and then over the course of a career, that coach will be successful. The result does not justify the decision. If he doesn't start TVD and we lose, I will not be mad at him for that decision.
If he does start him and we win, I would certainly prefer that over him starting him and we lose of course. But I will look at Mario that he made a bad choice and just got lucky that it worked out and if he continues that pattern, he will cause us to be a mediocre program.
Just like if he decides to run the ball against Ga Tech instead of taking a knee and Don doesn't fumble and we win, I am still disappointed with him because I know that kind of decision-making long term is not going to lead to a successful program.
My concern is Mario losing the locker room if he plays TVD Saturday because body language to me in the last game leads me to believe that a lot of the key players are not wanting to play for TVD right now and would prefer a change to see if either it will be better, or it might cause TVD to play better if they go back to him.
I think based on what I have observed from TVD that if he gets benched it won't help him any and he won't really care. I don't know that for a fact, just my opinion of him from the last several years of watching and listening to him. He plays injured and tries to tough it out, so I don't question him on that, but he is holding us back right now and something needs to change.
If that made sense. Lol
For me, it’s don’t be a conservative & scared ****. Put a solid plan together that passes the ball to set up the run.

In order to do that and to make the play action more effective for the amount of runs we will still be doing, you need a QB who can take shots down the field on the boundaries if they get 1 on 1 coverage.

So that leaves Emory as the starter because TVD can’t push the ball down the field due to his injuries and his inability to read zone defenses.

we run out of a very limited formations w ZERO creativity and refuse to use speed on the roster

Agreed. Whose fault do you think that is? Do you honestly believe that the Head Coach watched Brashard Smiff take a ball 80 yards against Clemson and then told the Offensive Coordinator, "Make sure you don't use that guy ever again?" Or is it more likely that the OC didn't involve him in his gameplan and the HC didn't step in and say, "What the ****? Why isn't 0 getting the ball?"

It's been painfully obvious that the way teams have defended us the past few weeks is by dropping 8 into coverage on passing downs and running a zone, largely ignoring the MOF, and sinking under our outside receivers, effectively taking away their ability to go vertical or run shorter breaking routes. A rather easy solution to that would be to steal yards on delayed routes in the middle of the field, with either drag screens, draws, **** even a QB draw can get you 6 yards in your sleep, and we have ran all of these plays exactly 0.0 times. Do you believe the OC put these plays into the gameplan, and the HC told him to not run those plays, but continue to do the very thing that we've been struggling with?

We gotta use our heads here. ALL the coaches deserve blame, Mario included. But we have a quarterback who is OBLITERATED mentally. He can't throw the football accurately, and he is parlaying the insane amount of time he has to throw with no pressure into absolutely tattooing defensive backs with footballs. He's absolutely awful right now. So in response.....we've done....ZERO creatively to help him. No wildcat. No double pass to steal a cheap TD, no trick plays of any kind, no unique formations or unique personnel packages. Nothing at all. That's the offensive coordinator's job. And it's the HC's job to demand it. But we're not running "bro style" like everyone wants to just piggyback on around here because it's a fun buzz word.

We came out last week, with a QB who absolutely sucked *** the week before, and threw the ball 17 times to 11 runs before TVD threw his latest joke of a pick into the endzone AGAIN to rob the team of points. Again. Does that sound like "bro style" to you? Does that sound like a caveman defecating on Dawson's desk to "RuN tHE fooTBaLl!!!" ?? No. We had a POSITIVE pass rate over expectation before the QB **** the bed, AGAIN, and we got a little more conservative after that. Who wouldn't? This kid refuses to stop giving the ball to the other team? And it has nothing to do with Mario or Dawson. What does is there has been no creativity to help him, and we're not giving our best players enough chances with the ball. I cannot, for the life of me, make myself understand how it could POSSIBLY be that the offensive coordinator wants to give the ball to Smiff, for example, and the HC is ****ting on the idea. That's just unfathomable. So ALL these dudes share blame. But to say Dawson is some mad scientist and neanderthal Mario is "medding" in his outside the box creativity is ******* moronic. The whole offensive staff isn't helping matters right now, but MUCH more importantly, we are trotting out a literal turnover machine to play quarterback. This dude has more time to throw the ball than he does in 7-on-7 and he's flat out peppering defensive backs with footballs. These aren't one on one shots down the field where DBs are making miraculous plays. This is throwing directly into a clearly identified coverage as if you had a lobotomy. Over and over. And when the OC does call a good play (the stutter and go inside slot wheel to X against UVA), the kid underthrows the ball by 10 yards. Or by 5-6 yards in the endzone against NC State.

He's unplayable right now. Dawson isn't helping. Mario isn't demanding he help. But coming on this board and starting this toxic *** thread knowing **** well where it'd lead is ******* gross. The kids on the field are doing enough to damage the program. They don't need any help from us.

Advertisement
For me, it’s don’t be a conservative & scared ****. Put a solid plan together that passes the ball to set up the run.

In order to do that and to make the play action more effective for the amount of runs we will still be doing, you need a QB who can take shots down the field on the boundaries if they get 1 on 1 coverage.

So that leaves Emory as the starter because TVD can’t push the ball down the field due to his injuries and his inability to read zone defenses.
Yeah, and that might also open up the TE in the middle of the field too.
I'm cool if its Emory or Jacurri, but I would prefer Emory like you as well.

lol i basically leaked a commitment with zero information other than guessing - the kid still committed and is our strongest commitment or one of right now. it doesnt make a single difference what a fan says anonymously on a message board. not a single person knows who you are or me or ghandi based on usernames other than the board mods. this stuff doesnt matter but i get it, you guys wanna blame someone else or anyone else other than the idiot on the sidelines actually making an impact that is real and tangible and not some made up fan fiction. anyways i end up losing here bc i still renew my tickets, donate back, etc. so **** it, we suck and i still come back for more
Bro you’re taking that comment and acting like it absolved and coach or player of anything. Does that help this program or not? It’s not complicated. And if you’ve read what I said I actually put the blame for that getting publicity and someone on here saying it on the ******* coach himself. Lol. Literally I said whatever Coach he got that from basically needs to stfu and actually solve some problems instead of *****ing and trying to pass blame. But you’re choosing to ignore that, same way you’re ignoring that this absolutely also has been a discussion about pure passing vs running.m with Mario lol

[BGCOLOR=rgb(45, 45, 45)]To play the otherside, can you blame him? It’s gotten him 2 PAC 12 championships and one rose bowl in 4 years at Oregon and a lucrative pay day here. In his mind it’s why would I change it’s gotten me all of this.[/BGCOLOR]

I’m almost to the point of chalking up his success to timing and a little luck. His time at Oregon he had the luxury of USC and UCLA being waaaay down

The one decent competition, Utah, owned him

He did have good wins vs Wiscy and Ohio St

But, long story short, I haven’t been impressed at all

There has bee 3-4 picks this year that were wide open and underthrown by 7-10 yards…Or at least 5 yards with an amount of air underneath that a junior high quarterback would know was grossly not enough, and just the wrong type of pass.

Again, he is Chuck Knoblach right now
Or Pete Rose. LOL

Advertisement
Back