Official Norvell Receives Contract Extension

Advertisement
Everyone does it. Standard operating procedure in today’s college football.

Shrug.

Last edited:
Advertisement
They’re betting on a couple portal heavy successful years will translate to consistent W’s and improved high school recruiting. Too reliant on portal evals & health for it to work for them without better high school talent acquisition IMO.

He's done well and has exceeded my expectations. It remains to be seen if his emphasis on recruiting the portal brings him long term success though. These players usually are all about their stats and positioning themselves for the NFL draft. Having too many of these types is not conducive to building a team as opposed to recruiting high school guys and then developing them to fit your culture, etc.

This approach could backfire on him long term while possibly seeing some short term success. He seems like a decent talent evaluator and no question he has developed successful qbs to his system.

He has done a good job, but let's be honest without the one time free transfer and portal, he would be struggling as his recruiting isn't strong at the high school level. If you ever heard him interreact with high school recruits, you can understand why. Little cringy.

He struck gold in the portal, is that lucky or good? Maybe little of both.

They will be good this season as their entire team basically comes back. What happens in 2024 though? Do they go back to a 7-5 type team?

With Clemson hiring RIley, I don't see FSU beating them this season which is what FSU is putting all their chips in on.

2024 they lose Travis, Benson, Wilson, Verse, Lovett, Bethune, DeLoach, Dent, Fentress, etc...

Miami is poised to be more talented in 2024 with the way Mario has recruited past few years. I think Mario has signed 22 top 247 players vs. Mikey's 11?

Advertisement
Seems a little premature for that type of extension. His overall FSU record isn't great and it remains to be seen whether they turned the corner or were just being slept on by people who had seen the previous 2 years.

I know they won ten games last year but I think people are forgetting how dysfunctional they were as a program before the season started and some during it. It won’t last he’ll be fired in a couple years .

They’re betting on a couple portal heavy successful years will translate to consistent W’s and improved high school recruiting. Too reliant on portal evals & health for it to work for them without better high school talent acquisition IMO.
If you’re living in the portal, you’re done for. Portal should be to plug in holes. At the moment, Miami is living in the portal but that won’t be the case in a couple of years.

Advertisement
7ajkao.jpg

Living by the portal....
Michigan State in 2020 - 2-5
Michigan State in 2021 - 11-2
Michigan State in 2022 - 5-7

Success is not sustainable like that.
Anyway, congrats to Coach Cornrows.

Advertisement
Interesting that they are paying him an average annual salary that optically equals "Mario + $1."

He (his agent) or they are trying to make a point. Would love to know what his buyout is. As of now I think they implode a bit in 2024.

As an aside, I will give them credit, they play either LSU, Bama, UGA or ND OOC every year through the end of the decade. Plus us, Clemson and UF (OOC).

They have a good team this year, but are not catching anyone napping anymore. I expect 8-4 for them which will probably still be better than us.

2024 that roster is flipping though, and not in a good way for them.

Advertisement
Back