Northwestern vs Miramar

Astcloud11

Senior
Premium
At the game. Anybody know whose the running back #26 for the west?

Also its 16-6(West) so far at halftime

Advertisement
MaxPreps shows #26 for the West as RB Jacob Baptiste a 5-11 200lbs Senior. Im sure you know but Samuel Brooks is #1 for the West.

Advertisement
Home now. Northwestern didn't have much of a pass rush most of the game, but still had a decent pass defense. Bulls dropped a bunch of Interceptions with the exception of #22 tipping up deep pass then chasing it down and making a diving pick. I'm blanking on how they looked through the 1st quarter, the only thing that stood out was that nobody on the Miramar defense could not tackle #26/Jacob Baptiste (as mentioned above) from the front. Anybody that tried got ran completely over, and he would get tackled from the back.

As far as Sam Brooks specifically, I didn't focus on him until late in the 2nd quarter, and I never seen him line up anywhere but at a stand up rush end. I don't know if Miramar intentionally avoided him, but seemingly everything was between the tackles or away from him. The only play I noticed towards Brooks, he was in pass coverage, following the RB to the flats (still was on the line to start the down btw) while the QB bootlegged towards them, he stuck with his assignment, and the moment he bailed to chase the QB, the RB didn't have enough room to catch the ball in-bounds. So its fair to say he played it nicely.

Northwestern won 30-12.

Some other irrelevant info:
-Terrible conditioning/hydration by both teams. It was a long game due to someone cramping up literally every 3 plays. Neither team had a clean drive without a stoppage for injury or cramps.
-Northwestern should've won by a lot more but the refs HEAVILY favored Miramar.

Advertisement
Thanks @Astcloud11. What did you think about Velez?

Some stuff on Baptiste here:

South Florida '19- The RBs

He looked like a good highschool QB. Wasn't special but did play with some swag. He outran the Miramar front 7 to the sideline a few times, and once for a touchdown (could be twice, i missed the first TD of the game so I'm not sure). He stepped up and made a lot of clean passes over the middle and completed a bunch of short passes as well. Didn't take many deep shots, but did complete about a 35 yard pass for the last TD of the game. He never seemed to panic, and got the ball out quick whenever the pressure came.

Edit: Forgot to mention, he stared down his target a bunch but did check down a good bit as well. At one point he over threw his receiver towards the end zone that resulted in a pick. Think he had 2 Passing TDs, 1 rushing td, and 1 INT on the day

He looked like a good highschool QB. Wasn't special but did play with some swag. He outran the Miramar front 7 to the sideline a few times, and once for a touchdown (could be twice, i missed the first TD of the game so I'm not sure). He stepped up and made a lot of clean passes over the middle and completed a bunch of short passes as well. Didn't take many deep shots, but did complete about a 35 yard pass for the last TD of the game. He never seemed to panic, and got the ball out quick whenever the pressure came.

Edit: Forgot to mention, he stared down his target a bunch but did check down a good bit as well. At one point he over threw his receiver towards the end zone that resulted in a pick. Think he had 2 Passing TDs, 1 rushing td, and 1 INT on the day

Thanks. I like how Velez plays. He has good feet. The #11 reminds me of a Hispanic Ken Dorsey.

How did the DT from Northwestern look? Forgot his name..the one that posters think should be on our radar

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back