North Carolina Gameday - Week 7

View as article

Dan E. Dangerously

This board...it's my note
Maude
71.jpg

The Canes return home this week and try to regroup against the Tar Heels. This is the 1st of 3 home games against conference opponents, and we'll need the offense to rebound after only putting 3 points on the board against Notre Dame last week.

I'd say something about hoping the defense gets better, but there's really no point. This is the team we're gonna have this year. The offense isn't allowed to have a bad day. They're going to have to be lights out every week or we'll get blown out. Simple as that.

I wanted to see just how bad the defense has been, particularly the running game, since Giovani Bernard is fixing to go balls deep on us. So I turned to the internets and did some searching...what I found was disturbing:

36.gif

Team StatisticsUM Opponent
SCORING181208
Points Per Game30.234.7
FIRST DOWNS124158
Rushing3782
RUSHING YARDAGE8051504
Yards Gained Rushing8891621
Yards Lost Rushing84117
Rushing Attempts174302
Average Per Rush4.65.0
Average Per Game134.2250.7
TD's Rushing 1019

Other than looking at the discrepancy between us and our opponents under Yards Gained and just saying, "that's bad", I'd like to direct you to the Yards Lost Rushing stat. It shows the yards lost when a running play was stuffed in the backfield or yards lost from sacks. Our opponents to date have tried almost twice as many rushing attempts as us (302 to 174), but our "Yards Lost Rushing" is only off by about 35 yards from our opponents. Unreal.

If that isn't enough to drive you nuts, check out this nugget from Tim Reynolds:

8 Oct
Tim Reynolds ‏@ByTimReynolds
Assuming they play a bowl game, Miami is on pace to allow 6,630 yards. The school record: 4,369.

37.gif

Tim Walton LOL's at this defense. All you can really do is laugh at this point.

16.jpg

Where: Joe Robbie/Pro Player/Dolphins/Dolphin/Land Shark/Sun Life Stadium

Who:
North Carolina Tar Heels (4-2) vs. Miami Hurricanes (4-2)

W​hen: 2:30pm/et

How: TV
- ESPNU

4 storylines for UM in this game:

1. Will the team shake off the embarrassment from last week?
2. Can the receiving corp bounce back after hanging Morris out to dry?
3. Can we get the running game going again?
4. Can the defense force some turnovers?

We won the week after getting thrashed by Kansas St., but we looked sluggish early against Bethune-Cookman before pulling away. That won't be an option against UNC.

I'm not worried about Morris playing well. If Dorsett and the rest of his targets catch the ******* ball, then last week doesn't go as bad as it did.

We're going to need to get the running game going again. Something we haven't really been effective at since Georgia Tech. Duke in particular hasn't had a big game in a while. Maybe that's why he was in a boot this week and listed as probable for the game.

We'll need the defense to force turnovers, not because we're good at turning them into points...but because each turnover is one less touchdown scored by the opposition.

Last time they met: October 15, 2011. Miami won 30-24

[video=youtube;bHYdQVavfGU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bHYdQVavfGU[/video]

That was the first time I didn't make the trip to Chapel Hill since we joined this conference. So of course they finally won there.

What people were saying after our glorious victory:

We weren't around last year, so I turned to CanesOverHere again for reference.

Gables said:
canetom said:
Just looked at the difference, only 48 yards offense for us in the 2nd half.

This is what scares me. We have made a habit of playing only one half of football. We're either frantically trying to come from behind, or frantically ****ing away a big lead.

Yep.

Know your enemy:
Tar Heel Blog

What they're saying:

Tar Heel Blog said:
I have been pretty down on the team (Miami), dating back to when they gave up 31 points to Boston College in their opening game. The defense has done very little to impress me - although really, who in Coastal Division has a good defense this year? My big concern is with UNC's secondary.

Sounds reasonable.

10.png
Miami Notes:

1. Miami is likely to take their time in their AD search.
2. Curtis Porter began practicing this week, but isn't ready to return.
Somehow, the players feel the Notre Dame loss was different than the Kansas St. loss.

Apparently after the Notre Dame loss, Golden asked the boys in the room if anyone wanted to speak to the team. Several players stood up, one at a time, to own up for their mistakes. It probably looked something like this:

72.jpg

4.png
North Carolina
Notes:

1. UNC is yet to win on the road this year.

2. Larry Fedora shows Mike Tyson clips to his team for motivation.
UNC would probably be 6-0 if Bernard was healthy all year.

Favorite North Carolina related Image, Photoshop, or Gif
:

38.gif

39.gif

Don't care. I absolutely loved this. You think Regis just decided out of the ******* blue to punch a dude in the balls while Gaines lays on him to keep him down? Dude probably ran his mouth off a couple of plays earlier and Regis shut him up. His interaction with the media a week later was even better.

From the Sun Sentinel
Steve Gorten said:
Regis started by saying, "I'd like to apologize for my actions, you know. I regret it and I'm ready to move on," but then gave a near identical response to questions that followed while grinning the entire time. Asked about his actions, Regis said, "I'd like to thank my team. They pulled the win out for me."
Asked again, he responded, "Yeah, I'd like to thank my team."
Of possibly losing his starting job to Darius Smith, who took his place against Georgia Tech on Saturday: "I'd just like to thank my teammates for pulling out a win for me. I love them."

At this moment, the Herald's Susan Miller Degnan called Regis a "pig" on her twitter account. She promptly deleted it when there was a huge backlash from Canes fans. I could be wrong, but I don't even remember their being an apology from her about it.

Favorite Susan Miller Degnan related Image, Photoshop, or Gif:

73.jpg

Chopping skills courtesy of Canesplace (I think)

Extremities/Suspensions/Funerals:

10.png
Miami 2-deep depth chart

Injuries:

Miami Hurricanes
PlayerInjury Status/UpdatedNotes
Duke JohnsonRBLower Extremity Probable - 10/11/12The freshman out of Miami Norland is listed as having a lower extremity injury, but is probable to play in Saturday's 2:30 p.m. kickoff against North Carolina.
Olsen PierreDLUndisclosedProbable - 10/11/12Starting defensive lineman Olsen Pierre is expected to miss the Notre Dame game in Chicago this weekend. He has 13 tackles, with 2.5 TFL.
Curtis PorterDTAppendix Doubtful - 10/10/12Porter missed every game this season because he is recovering from an appendectomy. There is no timetable for his return.
Rayshawn JenkinsSSUpper Body Out - 10/7/12Freshman Rayshawn Jenkins is battling an upper body injury and missed the game against Notre Dame. He has not recorded any stats this year.
Ben JonesOLFootOut - 10/7/12Reserve offensive lineman Ben Jones is doubtful for the game against Notre Dame.
Jermaine JohnsonOLPersonal Out - 10/2/12Jermaine Johnson has not been with the team for a few weeks now due to personal reasons and there is no timetable for when he'll be back.
Malcolm LewisWRAnkleOut for season - 9/23/12Freshman wideout Malcom Lewis went down with a dislocated ankle on Saturday against Georgia Tech. He is out for the year. He caught 8 passes for 73 yards and one touchdown this season before the injury.
Sean McNally LS Knee Out for season - 9/17/12Junior Sean McNally is expected to miss the remainder of the season with an undisclosed injury.
Ramon BuchananLBLeg Out for season - 9/10/12Buchanan will miss the rest of the season with a right knee injury he suffered during the Kansas State game. The fifth-year senior was also injured last season after starting only 4 games.

4.png
North Carolina
2-deep depth chart

Injuries:

North Carolina Tar Heels

PlayerInjury Status/UpdatedNotes
Connor GonetFBUndisclosedDoubtful - 10/7/12Redshirt freshman Connor Gonet missed the Virginia Tech game last weekend and remains questionable for the Miami game. The fullback has seen limited action this season and has not recorded any stats.
TJ LeifheitOLAnkleDoubtful - 10/7/12 Reserve lineman Leifheit is battling a recurring ankle injury and is expected to not be available for the Miami game. There is no timetable for when he will be available.
Jerhanie BoydWRLegQuestionable- 10/7/12Boyd, coming off a 5 TD reception performance last year, is still suffering from a leg injury that held him out of the past three weeks. He remains questionable for next week against Miami.
TJ ThorpeWRFootOut - 8/17/12Thorpe broke his foot during practice in early August. The sophomore receiver led the ACC in kickoff returns last season and was expected to have an increase role in the offense this season. Thorpe has been on crutches and in a boot since the injury. He will be out indefinitely.

Gameday Character:

This ain't no garden party, brother, this is college football, where only the strongest survive. WOOOO!!

74.jpg

Bow Bow

Lets Go Canes!

Advertisement
Great job as usual.

I am telling you now, this will be our best performance to date. Just get that feeling. These kids are ready to have fun and win the Coastal.

Why is our injury list always longer than the other teams injury list?

42 - 34. Canes in a big win

Fedora showing tyson clips is an unorthodox but probably pretty **** good way of firing you up before a game.

Advertisement
Fedora showing tyson clips is an unorthodox but probably pretty **** good way of firing you up before a game.

Saw what he did with southern Mississippi (I believe). He's a good coach and recruiter if he stays at N. Carolina they will be very good

After watching the highlights from last year. I really feel we can beat them. We stopped #26 and #2 last year. I'm not sold on North Carolina. We are progressing I believe we are seeing and erratic team learn to put it all together for a complete 4 quarters. I'm excited and believe we win by 10.

Advertisement
Why is our injury list always longer than the other teams injury list?

42 - 34. Canes in a big win

UNC actually has more guys on their list, but most of them barely/don't play anyway. Here's their full list:

10/129:25amMiller SnyderK
40.gif
Doubtful
UndisclosedSnyder, who has not kicked this year, is expected to miss the game against VaTech.
10/076:42pmConnor GonetFB
40.gif
Doubtful
UndisclosedRedshirt freshman Connor Gonet missed the Virginia Tech game last weekend and remains questionable for the Miami game. The fullback has seen limited action this season and has not recorded any stats.
10/076:41pmTJ LeifheitOL
40.gif
Doubtful
AnkleReserve lineman Leifheit is battling a recurring ankle injury and is expected to not be available for the Miami game. There is no timetable for when he will be available.
10/076:41pmJerhanie BoydWR
41.gif
Questionable
LegBoyd, coming off a 5 TD reception performance last year, is still suffering from a leg injury that held him out of the past three weeks. He remains questionable for next week against Miami.
10/076:40pmReggie WilkinsWR
41.gif
Questionable
UndisclosedReserve wideout Reggie Wilkins is questionable for next week's game. He has yet to record any catches this season, and only amassed 53 yards on 4 catches last year with the Tarheels.
10/068:56amTravis RileyRB
42.gif
Out For Year
KneeBackup running back Travis Wiley is out for the year with a knee injury.
09/262:33pmKeeon VirgileLB
43.gif
Out
Lower BodyBackup lineback Keeon Virgile is out indefinitely with a lower body injury.
09/238:15pmDarius LipfordLB
42.gif
Out For Year
KneeJunior LB Darius Lipford had knee surgery that will have him sidelined for the year.
08/177:18pmTodd HarrelsonWR
42.gif
Out For Year
DismissedHarrelson was dismissed from the Tar Heel football team over the summer. Coach Larry Fedora said that the senior violated team rules and would not be returning. Harrelson was listed on UNC's preseason depth chart as one of three starting receivers. He caught 3 passes for 42 yards in his three seasons.
08/177:14pmTJ ThorpeWR
43.gif
Out
FootThorpe broke his foot during practice in early August. The sophomore receiver led the ACC in kickoff returns last season and was expected to have an increase role in the offense this season. Thorpe has been on crutches and in a boot since the injury. He will be out indefinitely.

Watching that video is crazy because every player that made a play in that game is gone.

After watching the highlights from last year. I really feel we can beat them. We stopped #26 and #2 last year. I'm not sold on North Carolina. We are progressing I believe we are seeing and erratic team learn to put it all together for a complete 4 quarters. I'm excited and believe we win by 10.

We didn't realy stop Bernard last year. He rushed for 110 and had another 72 receiving last year. He'll get more than that this year. Renner threw for 288 and 2 TD's. We also had to hold on for dear life with a defense that was much better (can't believe I just typed that) than this years.

If Morris gets the protection Jacory got last year he will break the ACC record again

Advertisement
Chris Yandle ‏@ChrisYandle
In his time as Hurricanes head coach, @GoldenAl is 7-0 following a loss (including 2012 season-opener W after 2011 finale L). #CanesNotes

Advertisement
Back