Norchad Omier (‘s height) (RETURNING TO MIAMI - POST #12)

two incredible march runs but both led to us getting ran off the floor by teams far more physical than us. I get trying to keep a good thing going… which going to elite 8 and final 4 are incredible runs. But why not try to get over that hump by bringing in some size that can match the physicality of the Kansas & UCONN’s of the world.
Don’t think there are many of them out there, especially guys willing to come off the bench, but we absolutely need a 6’9+ rim protector. I love Nwoko, but you don’t want to have to rely on a true freshman to fill that role.

Advertisement
Don’t think there are many of them out there, especially guys willing to come off the bench, but we absolutely need a 6’9+ rim protector. I love Nwoko, but you don’t want to have to rely on a true freshman to fill that role.

Yeah the issue is the type of guy that we would want just isn’t willing to come off the bench. Period. Remember UConn’s Incredible Hulk backup center was a true freshman.

So we roll with Omier, Nwoko, Casey, and Cleveland for a front court. Maybe Aire comes back but probably not. Maybe George gives some front court minutes at 6’8”.

However it shakes out we’ll have plenty of length next year even with a small ball center.

Yeah the issue is the type of guy that we would want just isn’t willing to come off the bench. Period. Remember UConn’s Incredible Hulk backup center was a true freshman.

So we roll with Omier, Nwoko, Casey, and Cleveland for a front court. Maybe Aire comes back but probably not. Maybe George gives some front court minutes at 6’8”.

However it shakes out we’ll have plenty of length next year even with a small ball center.
Nwoko and Casey should be really good backups.
Frankly, if I was Casey I would be worried that Nwoko is going to take my minutes. What I hope happens is that Nwoko brings his level of physicality to practices and Casey has to match him to stay on the court. But by next February/March, either should be a real contributor.

I think Barkley moved better and was light on his feet, especially for a guy who could reach 300 lbs in college. Now Omier also moves very well for his size, but Barkley is a freak of nature. Check out some of his Auburn highlights and early Sixers. Brother was going coast to coast and beating everyone up the court. Crazy.
Barkley was a wildly skilled basketball player, and with an insane motor. He doesn't get nearly enough credit.

Advertisement
two incredible march runs but both led to us getting ran off the floor by teams far more physical than us. I get trying to keep a good thing going… which going to elite 8 and final 4 are incredible runs. But why not try to get over that hump by bringing in some size that can match the physicality of the Kansas & UCONN’s of the world.
I would like another rotation big too, but I think there is a lot of faulty reasoning here.

-We didn't lose to those teams bc they are more physical teams. We lost to them because they are better. Like L says, they executed their game plans better than we executed ours. Vs. UConn, we missed makeable midrange shots and shots at the rim, and vs KU we couldn't stay out of foul trouble.
-You're ignoring the fact that we ourselves ran off the floor teams that were far more physical than us. Houston was an incredibly physical team this season, and we dominated them. The most physical player we've played the last two seasons is Walker Kessler, who finished 3rd in NBA rookie of the year voting this season, and we totally neutralized him. IU and USC were also far bigger teams that we handled. Plus, Duke has been one of the biggest teams in the country the past two years and we've more than held our own.
-Lastly, there is precedence for winning titles with perimeter-oriented teams. Nova won 2 out of 3 recently while playing small ball.

For us to take the next step as a program, we need to get better, not bigger. Getting bigger is one way we might get better, but it's not the only way.

I would like another rotation big too, but I think there is a lot of faulty reasoning here.

-We didn't lose to those teams bc they are more physical teams. We lost to them because they are better. Like L says, they executed their game plans better than we executed ours. Vs. UConn, we missed makeable midrange shots and shots at the rim, and vs KU we couldn't stay out of foul trouble.
-You're ignoring the fact that we ourselves ran off the floor teams that were far more physical than us. Houston was an incredibly physical team this season, and we dominated them. The most physical player we've played the last two seasons is Walker Kessler, who finished 3rd in NBA rookie of the year voting this season, and we totally neutralized him. IU and USC were also far bigger teams that we handled. Plus, Duke has been one of the biggest teams in the country the past two years and we've more than held our own.
-Lastly, there is precedence for winning titles with perimeter-oriented teams. Nova won 2 out of 3 recently while playing small ball.

For us to take the next step as a program, we need to get better, not bigger. Getting bigger is one way we might get better, but it's not the only way.
All fair and reasonable points. We played poorly in 2nd half of Kansas and played poorly the entire game against UCONN. I tend to credit those teams in doing so with their length but I still understand your point.

Barkley was a wildly skilled basketball player, and with an insane motor. He doesn't get nearly enough credit.
people just see the chuck now thats on tv. he was at another level skill wise. omier isnt that. hes not close to that. the comparison should end there. same as Draymond. Dray is a very diff player and more skilled player than omier especially as a passer and defensively (this is prime dray im referring to as hes lost a step imo w age).

PJ is more athletic even tho he isnt an explosive athlete. even at this age, he can guard up on guys like trae young (see last years playoffs) as an on ball defender and shut people down.

All fair and reasonable points. We played poorly in 2nd half of Kansas and played poorly the entire game against UCONN. I tend to credit those teams in doing so with their length but I still understand your point.
Both of you make good and reasonable points, but I would argue that Sanogo of UConn was too physical. Now there are not many players like him so it may not be worth trying to adapt to an uncommon player, but Maryland also gave us problems with their length.
All that being what it is, I don’t think we need to add more size. We know Omier is a beast. I believe Nwoko will also bring a lot of physicality inside. He moves people out of the way when he has the ball.
Frankly, I don’t think a team that starts Pack, Omier, Wooga, Cleveland and possibly George, and has Joseph, Watson, Casey and Nwoko coming off the bench is wanting for much anything.

Advertisement

Excellent post. That’s it, just an excellent post.

Both of you make good and reasonable points, but I would argue that Sanogo of UConn was too physical. Now there are not many players like him so it may not be worth trying to adapt to an uncommon player, but Maryland also gave us problems with their length.
All that being what it is, I don’t think we need to add more size. We know Omier is a beast. I believe Nwoko will also bring a lot of physicality inside. He moves people out of the way when he has the ball.
Frankly, I don’t think a team that starts Pack, Omier, Wooga, Cleveland and possibly George, and has Joseph, Watson, Casey and Nwoko coming off the bench is wanting for much anything.

I still can’t believe Pack is coming back. I thought for sure he was done. I mean, I understand why, but during the season, I always had it in the back of my head that he was going to be done after this year. Having him and Norchad back, makes me more optimistic for next season.

100%. And UConn's size and physicality certainly influenced our shot-making inside the arc. My only point is that we don't need to (although we could try to) counter their size by getting bigger ourselves. We can also just get better at small ball (e.g. force more turnovers, move the ball more, hit more 3s). That's my preference, since it seems like a more realistic route for this program.

Advertisement

we looked absolutely disjointed against U Conn., don't know if it was so much then or self-inflicted. Good grief, our best 3-point shooter sitting out, because he couldn't find his sneakers.

Advertisement

This is a **** good post.

we looked absolutely disjointed against U Conn., don't know if it was so much then or self-inflicted. Good grief, our best 3-point shooter sitting out, because he couldn't find his sneakers.
We had 11 offensive rebounds in the first half and couldn't buy a bucket. We had some good looks but just missed from mid-range and out. We also got some critical calls against us when we started to make some runs.

We had 11 offensive rebounds in the first half and couldn't buy a bucket. We had some good looks but just missed from mid-range and out. We also got some critical calls against us when we started to make some runs.

Interesting that Roger Ayers officiated both the Kansas game last year and the UConn game this year. That being said, I thought the officiating in the Kansas game was much worse (more one sided) than this year’s UConn game. It still ticks me off how physical they let Kansas bigs play while lighting Sam and Jordan up for touch fouls (not to mention the absurd flagrant they called on Sam).

Is Cleveland really a "front court" player? I wouldn't be surprised at all if he's starting at the 2 alongside Pack at PG. Much depends on how good George is.

Advertisement
Back