Noles want coach "O"

Advertisement
They also wanted Shannon and Diaz

Not true.

Shannon is the dictionary definition of a coach who players hate. If anything the players were probably going to the AD asking for Shannon not to be hired. Shannon seems to have been hired in part because he acted almost like a military general (no cell phones, no guns, no jersey numbers) , which some people thought we needed after Coker had been a player’s coach and all the incidents (shootings, FIU and LSU brawls, cardinal stomping) happened.

Never heard anything indicating that the players wanted Manny, either.

Last edited:
Disagree. A great head coach wins in 01 and 02. He also recruits well and things keep rolling. Maybe we have 8 by now. Great clubs don’t plan to win 1 titled at the cost of decades. I would have preferred to lose in 01 and win in 02, 06, 09, 12, 15 and this year.

Any strategic planner would review the post Davis blueprint and tell you that we messed up letting the students pick the coach after Davis. 19 and 20 year olds picking a head coach at a top football school. Short sighted kids making short sighted decisions. Crazy.

This is one of the dumbest hypotheticals I have ever seen, projecting that whoever they would have hired rather than Coker would still be the coach and would have won the MNC exactly every third year.

Actually it worked out awesome for 3-4 years. We went back to the title game the following year and were top 5 the 3rd year and were top 10 the 4th year. So not a good example at all. COker was a great offensive coach and a great guy but he couldnt discipline or recruit and that caused our down fall but make no mistake he was wayyyyy better then Shannon , or Folden . Us hiring Coker was an amazing hire as it made us cotenders for 3 years in a row and close to ones the 4th year.
Pretty big difference. That Miami team was LOADED, and Coker coasted for a few years. FSU isn't anywhere near that level to expect a coach to coast on talent alone. Coker drove that sports car straight onto blocks. FSU is already on blocks, and another poor hire might burn down the garage.

Advertisement
Was Coker really that bad, especially with the benefit of hindsight? He was one officiating call from 2 titles.

And he ultimately got on the hot seat because of consecutive 3 loss seasons. Nowadays, after a 3 loss season at Miami, everybody’s screaming “all hail the king.” If you don’t believe me, look at how ecstatic everybody was after the 2017 season.

Heck, now we’re at the point where people are ecstatic about a 3 game winning streak over mediocre competition. Yeah, improvement! As if it were possible not to improve after losing at home to a team that lost to the Citadel.
I've actually thought about this before. Coker got fired (although I believe a lot of the reason was the FIU brawl) for a few 9 win seasons after back to back title runs. Although those can mostly be contributed to Butch, we'd have been estatic with that kind of production looking back over the last 13 years.
Also with recruiting, even though it seemed he didn't develop, there's no question he consistently brought in top classes and potential.

Itll be a WVU Bill Stewart situation. He wouldnt be a disaster, but no way does he put them in a contending position.

3 to 4 losses annually with Haggins.

Advertisement
This is one of the dumbest hypotheticals I have ever seen, projecting that whoever they would have hired rather than Coker would still be the coach and would have won the MNC exactly every third year.
I didn’t assume that. I stated you hire the best coach. Maybe he leaves in 4. You then hire the best coach again. I wasn’t predicting anything. I wasn’t saying every 3 years you win a NC.
I was trying to explain that great teams rarely remain great promoting who students want. You go get a string of great coaches. Look back to the 80s. It was built on ALWAYS trying to find the next best coach.
I firmly believe that this isn’t dumb as you assert. It is better to fail in trying to find a great coach than not trying to appease students.

Advertisement
Disagree. A great head coach wins in 01 and 02. He also recruits well and things keep rolling. Maybe we have 8 by now. Great clubs don’t plan to win 1 title at the cost of decades. I would have preferred to lose in 01 and win in 02, 06, 09, 12, 15 and this year.

Any strategic planner would review the post Davis blueprint and tell you that we messed up letting the students pick the coach after Davis. 19 and 20 year olds picking a head coach at a top football school. Short sighted kids making short sighted decisions. Crazy.
BTW...I didn't write that Coker should have been the "permanent" HC. I said it wouldn't have been the worst thing to have him run the show while a full/extended search for a new HC was conducted. That way, the old schemes on O & D wouldn't have been disrupted (which did lead to one MNC...actually two as we were robbed by Porter's way late flag on bogus PI) and Coker could have been replaced as HC when the right HC was found. It's actually pretty much the same argument you're making (that Coker wasn't the right long-term HC). He categorically was Ok as a housekeeper for one year. After that, the effects of the Club Larry vibe did start permeating the program (which caused long-term damage).

THEY’RE DOING JUST LIKE KEN DORSEY & CO DID FOR LARRY COKER WHEN BUTCH LEFT FOR THE BROWNS....ONLY EXCEPTION IS WE WEREN’T SUCKIN’ THE BOTTOM OFF SOME BACKWOODS CATFISH POND IN BUMFU@K BOLIVIA....

If not Leach, then bring back.....

Darrell_Mudra.jpg

He's still alive....for time being.

Advertisement
Not true.

Shannon is the dictionary definition of a coach who players hate. If anything the players were probably going to the AD asking for Shannon not to be hired. Shannon seems to have been hired in part because he acted almost like a military general (no cell phones, no guns, no jersey numbers) , which some people thought we needed after Coker had been a player’s coach and all the incidents (shootings, FIU and LSU brawls, cardinal stomping) happened.

Never heard anything indicating that the players wanted Manny, either.
How you supposed to call or go visit your momma if you don't have your cell phone and gun.

Disagree. A great head coach wins in 01 and 02. He also recruits well and things keep rolling. Maybe we have 8 by now. Great clubs don’t plan to win 1 title at the cost of decades. I would have preferred to lose in 01 and win in 02, 06, 09, 12, 15 and this year.

Yep. We should have picked Coker's successor by open plebiscite on Grassy, the main Miami board if the time. Nowhere would you see gathered so many wisemen of college football in one place...like that place the ancient Greeks had, I think. I can't remember the place.. I kinda remember from school they had thi place in ancient Greece where the wisemen all gathered... well Grassy was kinda like that.

Maybe it was called the Rathskeller or something like that.

I still feel that what led to Randy's downfall was his failure to regularly consult Grassy's recruiting board for the best advice on recruiting evaluations.

Advertisement
Back