Noles want coach "O"

Advertisement
Paul Dee letting Ed Reed decide the future of a program because some players didn’t want change. No way to run a premier program. Well, a way to run it into a ditch. Still hoping for the tow truck to arrive.
The premise behind hiring Coker was solid (to keep the same schemes on O & D and not disrupt anything so they could win a MNC or two...which happened). While unusual, they maybe could have made Coker an interim HC for an extended period and conducted a full search for a HC during the MNC season.

So let's say they do this. He'll get 2 years minimum.* They can't afford to be quick on the trigger a second time or they'll never get a coach worth having. If they fire him, the players will be unhappy and it will be another 2 years before a new coach can weed out the malcontents.

* This assumes he isn't successful and doesn't have a very, very short term contract.

Very astute! They don’t get this hire right, they are ffffuccddd. Which leads to believe their boosters n Ad have no clue what they are doing.

The premise behind hiring Coker was solid (to keep the same schemes on O & D and not disrupt anything so they could win a MNC or two...which happened). While unusual, they maybe could have made Coker an interim HC for an extended period and conducted a full search for a HC during the MNC season.
Disagree. A great head coach wins in 01 and 02. He also recruits well and things keep rolling. Maybe we have 8 by now. Great clubs don’t plan to win 1 title at the cost of decades. I would have preferred to lose in 01 and win in 02, 06, 09, 12, 15 and this year.

Any strategic planner would review the post Davis blueprint and tell you that we messed up letting the students pick the coach after Davis. 19 and 20 year olds picking a head coach at a top football school. Short sighted kids making short sighted decisions. Crazy.

Last edited:
That produced a 35-3 record in his first 3 years, one national championship and should have been two if not for a bad call. Every offseason someone starts a thread asking if you'd trade X years of misery for another championship. The answer back then was yes and right now X=16.

Advertisement
Here’s the cold hard truth about whoever FSU hires...it’s a tough rebuild. For one, the roster is depleted of top end talent. This is not a typical FSU roster. The Marvin Wilson’s, Jalen Ramsey’s, Brian Burns, etc.. don’t exist on their roster (especially after Acres bolts)

Two, this year will mark the 2nd year in a 4 year window that they will bring in a recruiting class during a coaching change. This could prove catastrophic to an already depleted roster.

Three, their QB situation is a disaster.

it’s still a very good job, but the new coach will have his work cut out for him. No mistakes on the recruiting trail.

We should be careful what we ask for.

The dude is 3-0 as an interim HC, and his players seem to be willing to run through a brick wall for him. Odell has always been a really good DL coach. If he can get a competent staff in the near future, he could be a problem.
Lmfao

That produced a 35-3 record in his first 3 years, one national championship and should have been two if not for a bad call. Every offseason someone starts a thread asking if you'd trade X years of misery for another championship. The answer back then was yes and right now X=16.
It was a horrible decision. Greatest roster of all time turned into a joke in less than 5 years

I'd love for our players to overthrow Diaz and root for Rumph to coach them to a Natty then 2 years of 10+ win seasons

I love the premise that only Larry Coker could have won a national championship with our roster at least one of those two subsequent years. I guess that's the glass half whatever argument, but where did that decision lead to us as a program? We've become college footballs case study in short-sighted decisions, and we're still conducting coaching searches that last 15 minutes.

Advertisement
I'm not saying he'll be good and obviously hope he sucks, but the Orgeron hire at LSU was universally **** on and that is working out ok.

Only catch to that is I think his QB coach has more to do with it than he does, he has a veteran QB who's been well coached and that's made all the differnce.

Advertisement
I love the premise that only Larry Coker could have won a national championship with our roster at least one of those two subsequent years. I guess that's the glass half whatever argument, but where did that decision lead to us as a program? We've become college footballs case study in short-sighted decisions, and we're still conducting coaching searches that last 15 minutes.
Sorry, I was looking at results from the situation not hypotheticals.

Advertisement
Cool, our guys wanted Coker, it worked out awesome... One year.
Actually it worked out awesome for 3-4 years. We went back to the title game the following year and were top 5 the 3rd year and were top 10 the 4th year. So not a good example at all. COker was a great offensive coach and a great guy but he couldnt discipline or recruit and that caused our down fall but make no mistake he was wayyyyy better then Shannon , or Folden . Us hiring Coker was an amazing hire as it made us cotenders for 3 years in a row and close to ones the 4th year.

If they had hired Barry Alvarez, I have no reason to think they would have selected a good head coach after his tenure. We probably would have sunk to a 7-6 program after he retired. Really no different than we are now.

Advertisement
Back