Tears Nole Tears (“Offcial”)

Playoffs... Anything less and I'm gonna be hot. Obviously there can be mitigating factors. But I don't even wanna put that energy out into the world. The way we are now is top 12. But if the lb room continues to develop,if the wr room continues to develop, if the dl plays up to what they can and we get some help out of Scott in particular, I see top 5. I don't have the concern most have out of the corners for multiple reasons. Mainly our schedule & our conference. This will be a down year for overall QB play in the acc. Other than Murphy & klubnik at times, it's a bunch of hot trash. My concern is same thing I've said since the page turned on last season. That's the safety room. That really worries me. Several positions we still don't have adequate depth. Our front line I don't have any complaints other than possibly carpenter at center, but our depth at several positions we just got to pray for health.
Especially when considering our schedule

Advertisement
Re: running your quarterback and whether or not that’s a good coaching decision. It all comes down to what your quarterback does best. If you make someone like Jordan Travis or D’Eriq King sit in a pocket, you’re literally wasting what they do best. You’re giving your team the best chance to win by letting those guys get out and run.
If you do it too much they get hurt. It’s been proven over and over again.
I told everyone on here that Travis was way overdue for a serious injury the way norvel used him. Yes a designed qb run is a good option. Escape ability is a good trait. But once you start playing teams with bigger faster stronger dudes you’re gonna get injured and then not only can you not run but your mechanics get thrown off.
It’s good to have an athlete but depending on him to get you out of every game with his athleticism is a mistake imo.

Re: running your quarterback and whether or not that’s a good coaching decision. It all comes down to what your quarterback does best. If you make someone like Jordan Travis or D’Eriq King sit in a pocket, you’re literally wasting what they do best. You’re giving your team the best chance to win by letting those guys get out and run.
It's one thing to do what they do best AS QUARTERBACKS & move the pocket. It's another to have a 200 lb QB running with at least 6 sets of eyes on you regularly. It's also a bannable offense to compare Jordan Travis mobility to d eriq king. Travis did well when the pocket moved. King was a **** good runner(which is also why football is no longer a thing for him)

It's one thing to do what they do best AS QUARTERBACKS & move the pocket. It's another to have a 200 lb QB running with at least 6 sets of eyes on you regularly. It's also a bannable offense to compare Jordan Travis mobility to d eriq king. Travis did well when the pocket moved. King was a **** good runner(which is also why football is no longer a thing for him)
I wasn’t saying to run Jordan Travis into the line 20 times a game like he’s Tim Tebow. Just that letting him freelance was how their offense worked best. Not everyone can or should play that way. But if scrambling and throwing on the run is what he does best, taking that away is counterproductive.

Advertisement
FB_IMG_1715714683743.jpg

I told everyone on here that Travis was way overdue for a serious injury the way norvel used him. Yes a designed qb run is a good option. Escape ability is a good trait. But once you start playing teams with bigger faster stronger dudes you’re gonna get injured and then not only can you not run but your mechanics get thrown off.
It’s good to have an athlete but depending on him to get you out of every game with his athleticism is a mistake imo.
Or when you play FCS teams like Northeast Alabama School for the Deaf and Blind like when Travis's leg snapped.

Advertisement
Our last quarterback almost never ran the ball yet was injured at least half of the last two seasons. I’d venture to say that a quarterback standing still in the pocket who gets crushed by a pass rusher is more likely to get hurt than a guy who is running and can protect himself.

Cam Ward had 120 rushing attempts last season. Jordan Travis had 73. In six seasons of college football, Travis had one season where he had over 100 carries. The idea that Norvell was using him like Cam Newton or Tim Tebow isn’t based in reality.

Our last quarterback almost never ran the ball yet was injured at least half of the last two seasons. I’d venture to say that a quarterback standing still in the pocket who gets crushed by a pass rusher is more likely to get hurt than a guy who is running and can protect himself.

Cam Ward had 120 rushing attempts last season. Jordan Travis had 73. In six seasons of college football, Travis had one season where he had over 100 carries. The idea that Norvell was using him like Cam Newton or Tim Tebow isn’t based in reality.
As a casual observer of fsu it appeared that most of Travis’ runs were broken plays where they went to sandlot ball and scramble and heave. Sometimes run sometimes have wr work open. Painful to say but that offense was excellent when plays broke down.

Advertisement
As a casual observer of fsu it appeared that most of Travis’ runs were broken plays where they went to sandlot ball and scramble and heave. Sometimes run sometimes have wr work open. Painful to say but that offense was excellent when plays broke down.
As was Johnny Manziel when he had Mike Evans.

I saw Travis make some great throws the last two seasons, but it was Coleman and Wilson who made that work. Travis made horrendous decisions in every game when under pressure.

His career will end with a whimper in the NFL, just like the Noles 2023-2024 season.

Travis saved a lot of plays and was responsible for a lot of yards and it wasn’t because. Norvell drew it up that way.
And I guarantee you that wazu’s coach didn’t want to either.
I never said norvell was using Travis like that. I’ve always said he is a beter but Manziel. A Qb that improvised and made a coach look better than he was and Norvell never held him back from doing it and it almost cost travis his career. He got destroyed the years he was there. It amazed me he didn’t get hurt sooner.

And if you really look at running qb’s there is where the problem lies.
Yes, they get yards and win games and then coaches get all the credit. But when they do it too much, they get injured, or turn it over.
Kaaya would’ve been a superstar if he just any inclining of being able to at least get you 15 yards if you forgot about his legs.

It’s just facts and the nature of the game.
Ward doesn’t want to run that much and hence the reason he’s here.

Do I prefer an athletic and mobile qb? 100%

Do I feel that at times those qb’s run too much? Absolutely.

You need that ability to keep defenses more than just honest in today’s game.
You need that ability to make them scared and confused.

I said that Vick and Jackson are anomalies but so is Brady. A dude that was more stiff than a stale cuban loaf but it didn’t matter.
The future imo are in players like Mahomes and dare I say
cam ward.

Mahomes isn’t Jackson or Vick when come to wheels.
But he’s athletic enough that you just can’t ignore it.

I guarantee you that nobody in that organization wants him running more than he has too. And I bet they wish he ran less.

I’m concerned about safety as well tbh and corner I wish we could have gotten a big time corner out of the portal.I don’t think we will see an elite qb this year either but if we do make the playoffs that’s when that situation could rear its ugly head however I do agree with your post and appreciate your perspective on the situation.
I just hope our secondary gels and a couple of young players develop to be contributors. We should know what we have by midseason. There are very few teams that don't have any weaknesses.

We may be more like the 2023 Washington team. They were 14-1 losing only in the national championship game. They had an elite offense and a mediocre defense.

The UW offense average 36/game (#13) and 462.1 yards/game (#12). Their defense averaged 28.4 points/game (#54) allowed and 406.9 yards/game (#92).

The UW offense averaged 118.5 rushing yards/game (#102) and 343.7 passing yards/game (#2).

The UW defense averaged 148.3 rushing yards/game (#49) and 258.6 passing yards/game (#114).

The difference for UW was their elite passing game. They were just average running the ball. They were average against the run and were terrible against the pass. The just had an elite passing game that just about every team couldn't compete with.

Looking at Miami, we could have an elite offense, but slightly different than UW. A very good passing attack in the top 5-10. Miami averaged 31. points/game (#38), while UW average 36/game (#13). With just 1 more TD per game, Miami would be a top 10 scoring team. That is very realistic with Cam Ward.

Miami will run the ball much better than UW. Miami was ranked #47 (167.6) at rushing yards/game while UW was #102 (118.5). With better QB play and a lighter box, Miami could be a top 20 rushing team. To break into the top 20, Miami would just need to average about 23 more yards/game to break 190/game.

Defensively, Miami had a better scoring defense than UW. The Miami defense averaged 22.77 points/game (#42), while UW gaver up 24.8/game (54).

Miami was far better than UW against the run last year at 111.7/game (#15) and UW 148.3 (#49).

Miami was better against the pass than UW. Miami gave up 223 yards/game (#55) while UW gave up 258.6 (#114). Yes, UW may have faced better competition. However, even Arizona, Washington St., Oregon, Oregon St., and USC were better against the pass.

Miami stacked up against UW in every category except those involving the QB. QB play was really the reason for Miami's 7-6 season. With the best QB in the ACC, a potent offense, a strong front 7, it's fair to say that Miami should be a contender in the ACC even with average secondary play.

If Miami wins the ACC, how far the team goes will largely depends on matchups and the play of Cam Ward.

Last edited:
Advertisement
From what I’m seeing they’re going to try to run dj alot more and that’s going to be there plan to help in the red zone and short yardage I think he’s a solid runner but he’s a big target that a true warrior will want to put his big *** on a mantel

Sounds good. The more one dimensional they are, the better.

Absolutely. They purposely ran him a lot more his first few seasons because he couldn’t throw at all and his running was the only thing that could keep them in games. As his accuracy improved, they called much fewer designed runs. Most of his carries the last two seasons were scrambles on broken plays and that’s where they were most effective. It’s why they’re totally screwed this year because DJ isn’t the improviser that Travis was. This year we will see if Norvell is really some great offensive coach or if he just rode Travis’ and the scramble drill to big seasons.

I just hope our secondary gels and a couple of young players develop to be contributors. We should know what we have by midseason. There are very few teams that don't have any weaknesses.

We may be more like the 2023 Washington team. They were 14-1 losing only in the national championship game. They had an elite offense and a mediocre defense.

The UW offense average 36/game (#13) and 462.1 yards/game (#12). Their defense averaged 28.4 points/game (#54) allowed and 406.9 yards/game (#92).

The UW offense averaged 118.5 rushing yards/game (#102) and 343.7 passing yards/game (#2).

The UW defense averaged 148.3 rushing yards/game (#49) and 258.6 passing yards/game (#114).

The difference for UW was their elite passing game. They were just average running the ball. They were average against the run and were terrible against the pass. The just had an elite passing game that just about every team couldn't compete with.

Looking at Miami, we could have an elite offense, but slightly different than UW. A very good passing attack in the top 5-10. Miami averaged 31. points/game (#38), while UW average 36/game (#13). With just 1 more TD per game, Miami would be a top 10 scoring team. That is very realistic with Cam Ward.

Miami will run the ball much better than UW. Miami was ranked #47 (167.6) at rushing yards/game while UW was #102 (118.5). With better QB play and a lighter box, Miami could be a top 20 rushing team. To break into the top 20, Miami would just need to average about 23 more yards/game to break 190/game.

Defensively, Miami had a better scoring defense than UW. The Miami defense averaged 22.77 points/game (#42), while UW gaver up 24.8/game (54).

Miami was far better than UW against the run last year at 111.7/game (#15) and UW 148.3 (#49).

Miami was better against the pass than UW. Miami gave up 223 yards/game (#55) while UW gave up 258.6 (#114). Yes, UW may have faced better competition. However, even Arizona, Washington St., Oregon, Oregon St., and USC were better against the pass.

Miami stacked up against UW in every category except those involving the QB. QB play was really the reason for Miami's 7-6 season. With the best QB in the ACC, a potent offense, a strong front 7, it's fair to say that Miami should be a contender in the ACC even with average secondary play.

If Miami wins the ACC, how far the team goes will largely depends on matchups and the play of Cam Ward.

Going to need the offense to get a lead and let the front 7 cover up for the back end. Our front 7 should be really really good.

Advertisement
Back