Tears Nole Tears (“Offcial”)

I think that this is a very relevant commentary, that Norvell has simply not surrounded himself with strong recruiters.

You know, they say the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again, while expecting different outcomes.

Here is a 4-year listing of the F$U assistant coaches, from 2020 through 2023.

2020-----------------------------------------------------2021--------2022----------------------------------------------------------------2023--------------
Kenny Dillingham – OC/QBsSameAlex Atkins - OC/OLsSame
Adam Fuller – DCSameSame, but now Co-DC with RandySame
John Papuchis – ST/DEsSameSameSame
Chris Thomsen – TEsSameSameSame
Odell Haggins – DTsSameSameSame
Alex Atkins – OLSameTony Tokarz - QBsSame
Ron Dugans – WRsSameSameSame
David Johnson – RBs/RCSameSameSame
Chris Marve – LBsSameRandy Shannon - Co-DC/LBsSame
Marcus Woodson – DBsSameSamePatrick Surtain - DBs

---Kenny Dillingham left to be the head coach at Arizona State.
---Chris Marve left to be the DC at Virginia Tech.
---Marcus Woodson left to be the Co-DC at Arkansas.

Other than that, Norvell has rolled out the same staff every single year, with no changes, and with the same crappy high school recruiting results.

Oh, and the F$U fans are already complaining about Surtain.

It's what I said the month after he was hired and surrounded himself with his staff.....who is recruiting Florida/south Georgia on this staff? Odell???? The donk?? Stop it. And sure enough, they can't recruit a lick, and he hasn't gotten rid of any of these guys. So they really don't have a choice other than to throw all their money at kids like Verse to stay and in the portal. It's their only shot to have a decent program. And I'm fascinated to see if it works. They had a good year last year, 10 games is nice and they beat the **** out of us. Definitely a good year, but they beat literally nobody good and won nothing of substance. No division, no conference, no playoff bid, no NY6 bowl. This year they're projected to be better. Will they win any of the aforementioned accomplishments? We'll see. And next year, they lose a TON of producion. This year, they're one of the most experienced teams in the country, and that's where this hype comes from. They return virtually everyone from a 10 win team. Next year, they have major holes to fill. The elite programs in the country fill them with blue-chip HS kids. FSU will not have that luxury. So is this model sustainable in building a 3, 4, 5 year championship level program? I'm fascinated to see.

Advertisement
To be fair, they're not neglecting them, the program is just radioactive to them.

Norvell is a horrible crooter, and the only dudes he brought it who know Florida are 900 year old O'Dell, ornery *** Dugans, and Randy, who is beyond clueless.

So I actually somewhat commend them for realizing early on that this dude has no shot recruiting HS players, so they're using their money to pay their good players to stay, and to attract portal kids from smaller schools who want to play in a good offense. I just don't know if you can build a very good, sustaining program this way. Nobody has ever done it, but we never had the portal in the way we have it today. So maybe you can, maybe you can't. But if he does, it'll be the first time in CFB history anyone has won at a significant level without recruiting elite HS classes.
You forgot surtain!!

We brought in two of the best OL transfers in Cohen and Lee. The Holes247 guy is drunk off shots of Doak toilet water. He is the same guy that had Jojo and two OL that went to USC as locks to fsu.

1690380205621.png

Advertisement
I meant overall and their high impact players. Verse is probably going Top 5 (portal). Johnny Wilson is a possible 1st rounder (portal). Coleman is getting a ton of pub (portal). Benson is RB1 on some NFL draft boards (portal). Their starting TE was one of the most sought after portal guys, they got him. The UVA corner was wanted by everyone in the portal, they got him. Even Travis is a portal kid, although he was there when Norvell got there. They've been very successful in the portal, because they're prioritizing it, realizing Norvell has no shot to beat out the elite schools for HS kids.

Can you compete for championships annually with this blueprint? Nobody ever has in the past, but again this hasn't been a feasible strategy in the past because of the rule that you had to sit out a year after a transfer. I'm very interested to see their trajectory for the next 2-3 years. They're doing things differently than almost anybody else right now, and certainly differently than anybody else ever has traditionally.

I just see the continual problem with this strategy is actually built into your post. You named 5-6 really good players they pulled through the portal. But that’s there team and for a short window. You can’t name anyone else - and I don’t think you’re winning a title with a handful of good players. At least on a regular basis. Maybe you could sneak a title in if you absolutely hit fire one year with a portal class.

Advertisement
I just see the continual problem with this strategy is actually built into your post. You named 5-6 really good players they pulled through the portal. But that’s there team and for a short window. You can’t name anyone else - and I don’t think you’re winning a title with a handful of good players. At least on a regular basis. Maybe you could sneak a title in if you absolutely hit fire one year with a portal class.

And this is why I was critical of F$U-ball-licking CIS posters who kept praising Norvell's "Portal Recruiting Strategy" as some sort of visionary game-changing approach.

I'm not denying Norvell's success thus far in identifying and landing some impact Portal guys. But I also pointed out that he was an "early adopter" of the Portal approach, and now that guys like Saban and Dabo are starting to up their Portal numbers, we might not see Norvell enjoying the same success going forward.

And then when you simply look at the numbers, and realize how bad Norvell is at back massages and high-school recruiting, then you realize that Norvell's "strategy" was really just a reaction to prior years worth of poor recruiting.

Not impressed with Prison Mike...

They weren’t ranked when they played them, but they still beat LSU (granted off missed XP).

Give them some credit, 1-3 vs good competition.
LSU's first game with a new coach after coming off a **** season? Sure. We'll see how that goes this year.

This is like all of our 8-9 win seasons. We'd lose every time we faced a team with a pulse.

Advertisement
I will say, it makes for a pretty interesting experiment at the very least. The consensus until now has been that in order to maintain long term success and win at the highest levels, you HAVE to recruit elite high school players. It’s clear the FSU is never going to sign an elite recruiting class. (If they can’t crack the top 10 this year after Norvell’s best season, they’re never going to). Can you just keep going heavy in the portal, year after year and build multi year success? Nobody’s done it yet in the portal era. At least nobody with championship aspirations. FSU, as much as I hate to say it, is one of the programs capable of winning a national championship. (Most teams never will, even in their best season) But can they do it without being a big time recruiting school? Probably not but at least it’s interesting
I dont see them as a national championship caliber team, sorry. Their margin for error is very small.

Advertisement
Johnny Wilson has some big time inflated yard numbers. His only 100 yard games came against two teams that don’t play defense in Oklahoma and Louisville. Even against our sorry team he went 2 for 22. I think those numbers come down this year.

LSU's first game with a new coach after coming off a **** season? Sure. We'll see how that goes this year.

This is like all of our 8-9 win seasons. We'd lose every time we faced a team with a pulse.
Agreed. FSU is getting hyped just like our 18 team. The nation wants them to be good so bad that they fall for the smoke and mirrors.

Average talent, average QB. JT is not an NFL player, the OL is not top tier. They’re 1/2 injuries away from being a 7-5 team this year tbh. No depth.

They’ve averaged the #20 recruiting class the past three years under Norvell. It’s not good enough to compete at a high level year in and year out.

I think they win 9-10 games this year and drop down to 6-6/7-5 next year. They’re losing almost all of their production.

Agreed. FSU is getting hyped just like our 18 team. The nation wants them to be good so bad that they fall for the smoke and mirrors.

Average talent, average QB. JT is not an NFL player, the OL is not top tier. They’re 1/2 injuries away from being a 7-5 team this year tbh. No depth.
Their similarity last year to us in 2017 was striking. They could be a repeat of our 2018 team, they even open against the same team our balloon got deflated against.

Advertisement
Back