Tears Nole Tears (“Offcial”)

Please don’t back me into a corner and have to defend the guy….

Norvell did well at Memphis, specifically offensively which is his area of focus.

He doesn’t recruit well. Without players he will never win.

But you have to consider that when he came to FSU he inherited classes with zero qb commits. Zero WRs. Willie was signing 11 DBs every season. The roster was way out of balance.

He had to use the portal to try to fill out a roster. He had to convince talented guys to come finish their careers at a dumpster fire of a program.

He is a flawed coach and I want him at fsu forever, but he does understand clock management and he does call a decent offense. That’s pretty much a decent game day coach IMO.
Like going for it on your own 33 in the 3rd quarter down 11 in game 1 vs ND and proceeding to throw a pick/turning it over? Pretty sure ND went up 18 as a result of the short field a few plays later and then didnt score another point until OT when they won. That's pretty terrible in game decision making.

Advertisement
My assessment: high level college football is now more than ever a talent acquisition game. I mean, Kirby smart, Ed orgeron have both won national championships, and I don’t think they are thought of as coaching wizards. A good game day coach can make your team slightly better, but if you can’t recruit it’s becoming harder and harder to hide those talent disparities.

50AA54BE-C4E8-49D2-9A03-8F2D6528695B.jpeg

Seven times the likes for a post saying they get at least 500 yards total than one speaking to reality.

Advertisement
Please don’t back me into a corner and have to defend the guy….

Norvell did well at Memphis, specifically offensively which is his area of focus.

He doesn’t recruit well. Without players he will never win.

But you have to consider that when he came to FSU he inherited classes with zero qb commits. Zero WRs. Willie was signing 11 DBs every season. The roster was way out of balance.

He had to use the portal to try to fill out a roster. He had to convince talented guys to come finish their careers at a dumpster fire of a program.

He is a flawed coach and I want him at fsu forever, but he does understand clock management and he does call a decent offense. That’s pretty much a decent game day coach IMO.

OK, fair enough. I just don't understand where these myths arise. I just think there is a difference between "playbook" and "being a great gameday coach". I simply don't see where Prison Mike developed some sort of great reputation for in-game adjustments and dominating play. The last couple of years have been particularly disastrous in that regard, and that is one-third of his entire career as a head corch.

Advertisement
Advertisement
I think last years notre lame team is better than this years lsu team. But lsu has the better DL. Plus they have more explosion at the receiver position. Including bouttee who is probably a first rounder. Might be the difference. Plus it’s “neutral” site.

Advertisement
Like going for it on your own 33 in the 3rd quarter down 11 in game 1 vs ND and proceeding to throw a pick/turning it over? Pretty sure ND went up 18 as a result of the short field a few plays later and then didnt score another point until OT when they won. That's pretty terrible in game decision making.
I imagine if I cared to look I could find a poor decision made by Saban, Dabo, Kirby etc.

And I didn’t call him elite or great. I said he was pretty decent.

OK, fair enough. I just don't understand where these myths arise. I just think there is a difference between "playbook" and "being a great gameday coach". I simply don't see where Prison Mike developed some sort of great reputation for in-game adjustments and dominating play. The last couple of years have been particularly disastrous in that regard, and that is one-third of his entire career as a head corch.
For the record I called him “pretty decent”. Not great not elite.

Advertisement
Back