Tears Nole Tears (“Offcial”)

Advertisement
Advertisement
Of course people will ignore past results. The Utah losses are very recent and with a lot on the line. Let's not be homers and pretend they weren't bad losses. They were. Now, was he distracted? The first loss came on the heals of Blake being fired and rumors starting. The second was with a ton of buzz we were ready to make a giant offer (and Feldman's reporting showed a timeline that we were in contact). His mother was, as we sadly found out later, dying in a hospital. He was distracted. His guys were distracted. You could see the lack of drive and energy. His QB was awful and Utah game planned perfectly. He's also won big games at Ohio State and in the Rose Bowl. All are true facts. I believe he will continue to grow as a coach, particularly with the resources we have dedicated to the program.
I don't think Mario was distracted. In the PAC-12 title game I think his team knew he was leaving.

You transposed your B and C there, sir... HBCUs.

But I mostly agree he'll take a reputational hit (at least in the short run) if he bolts out of their too soon. Basically, if Deion doesn't stick for at least 3 years, some people will say he abandoned his mission to bolt for a "bigger job." He'll be viewed as just another sellout by some fans. I think the blowback is a lot less if he is successful, sticks for multiple seasons, and ends up coaching where he played, though.

I'm also not convinced those good old boys in Trailerhassee are ready to hand Deion the keys. I suspect they'll try to entice some established or up-and-coming P5 coordinator, steering clear of making the G5 HC move again (and lacking the cache to pull an established, successful P5 coach).
Stick? He was trying to get the TCU job when they fired Gary Patterson.

Advertisement
Advertisement

461090E6-4BA5-43B1-8F1B-A11767D54A52.jpeg

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back