Tears Nole Tears (“Offcial”)

It depends how desperate they are. Short answer is yes, of course they could. But to me, it's moot, because Norvell will have a much longer leash than Willie did because he's white, plus they can blame this mess on the black guy and give him even more time.

Might be extra moot if he decides to turn the program around, but even if he doesn't, he's getting 3 years IMO. Bottom line is we can (and should) laugh at FSU right now for a lot of things, their athletic budget being one of them. But when the rubber meets the road, they'll raise the money they need to in order to attempt to stop the bleeding. As much as they want to hide their tears under the "basketball school" guise, it is most certainly and always will be a football school. If Norvell is average to below average for 3 seasons, **** yes they'll can his *** and pay him to go away. They can't afford not to, with how much money they're already bleeding due to poor on field performance.
Gotta stop with the race thing with Taggart. Willie got fired because he was in way over his head. He managed to not sign a HS QB recruit for 2 cycles, short himself a coach due to a hiring blunder, have 0 full time coaches in the press box for his season opener (loss) and so on. They cut bait after he got smoked by a rival at home.

Advertisement
Gotta stop with the race thing with Taggart. Willie got fired because he was in way over his head. He managed to not sign a HS QB recruit for 2 cycles, short himself a coach due to a hiring blunder, have 0 full time coaches in the press box for his season opener (loss) and so on. They cut bait after he got smoked by a rival at home.

All of what you said is 100% accurate. Except for the first sentence. If he was a white dude, he finishes last season, at worst.

It's actually pretty ironic, because unfortunately being African-American was a big part of why he was hired, and also why he was fired. Stan Wilcox was VERY vocal when Willie was hired about being the first big school in the country to have a black AD, Football HC and Basketball HC. Willie was somewhat of an "up and comer" in the coaching ranks, but he didn't have the resume to get the FSU job. He was afforded that opportunity in part because he's a black man. And trust me, again, I live here. There were a LOT of people who weren't happy, which of course is incredibly sad. And not to turn this into a race discussion, because ultimately as I said, if he won football games it'd have been moot, but the early pressure on him was due in no small part to the color of his skin.

So if he's white, he probably doesn't get the job. But since he wasn't white, the pressure to force him out after 20 or so games was too high for the boosters to ignore. Irony at its finest.

These albatrosses are not mutually exclusive. FSU absolutely cannot afford to buy Norvell out, period.

They had major financial problems BEFORE they hired Taggart. They couldn't "afford" to buy Willie out, and they expended every ounce of financial, emotionally, and intellectual capital they could scrounge up to get it done. It set them back in a massive way. Now, they are REALLY behind the financial 8-ball and are stuck with their coach, regardless.

If all things are equal, would Norvell get a much longer leash from the good old boys up there than Taggart because of race? Of course. This is FSU and the panhandle we're talking about. But dismissing the financial reality of the situation is silly.

I didn't dismiss the reality of the situation at all. I just think it's probably a pointless discussion to have, because he's going to get 3 years to right the ship. But he signed a 6 year deal....if you think things haven't gotten any better after year 3 and they keep him because they can't afford to buy him out....well, we'll have to agree to disagree.

Advertisement
FSU deserves to be in the situation they're in. When they hired Taggart, I was skeptical because his only gig at a P5 was a one year flop at Oregon. He did at least have two very impressive turn-around jobs on his resume at WKU and USF So he's proven to be able to turn a loser into a winner if given time. At least at the G5 level. Mike Norvell, on the other hand, has proven nothing besides inheriting a Memphis team completely built up by Justin Fuente and not running it into the ground.

They'd need to wait a few years because Norvell isn't getting fired after 1 game, child genius. Not because they don't have the money.

You like to invent stuff that people didn't actually say.

I never said he was getting fired after 1 game. But Norvell has already done bad things beyond what Taggart did (the false claims about talking to all his football players, the misstatements made regarding Covid tests of players, etc.) that could get a coach fired. If you compound that with a loss to the worst team in the ACC and if F$U continues to lose players to the portal and play like garbage, he will quickly lose the fan base.

And that, really, is the issue. Taggart didn't create the problems, but he didn't fix them either, and the team quit on him. Then the fans quit on him. And when that happens with Norvell, it is only an academic argument. F$U will only "give" Norvell "another year" because of the finances, not because they see signs of life or improvement.

FSU should have listened to me a loooong time ago. It would be cheaper for them to burn the program down and build it properly than to try to keep throwing band aids on bullet holes. No coach can win in that toxic environment. The inmates are running the asylum, and the higher ups are afraid that if they don't, no recruits will come. It's a much bigger mess than simply a couple bad HC hires. Taggart and Norvell are both better than their fans think. They were never the problem. The problem is the lack of institutional control, and FSU's willingness to continue sweeping crap under the rug. They need a serious house cleaning. I'm talking EVERYONE in the athletic department, school President, ****, even the campus police. It probably shouldn't stop there. The Tallahassee Police Department has also been behind cover-ups. It's an enormous mess, and if it all came to light, they'd get the death penalty. It's bad in Tallahassee. Really, really bad.

All of what you said is 100% accurate. Except for the first sentence. If he was a white dude, he finishes last season, at worst.

It's actually pretty ironic, because unfortunately being African-American was a big part of why he was hired, and also why he was fired. Stan Wilcox was VERY vocal when Willie was hired about being the first big school in the country to have a black AD, Football HC and Basketball HC. Willie was somewhat of an "up and comer" in the coaching ranks, but he didn't have the resume to get the FSU job. He was afforded that opportunity in part because he's a black man. And trust me, again, I live here. There were a LOT of people who weren't happy, which of course is incredibly sad. And not to turn this into a race discussion, because ultimately as I said, if he won football games it'd have been moot, but the early pressure on him was due in no small part to the color of his skin.

So if he's white, he probably doesn't get the job. But since he wasn't white, the pressure to force him out after 20 or so games was too high for the boosters to ignore. Irony at its finest.
yeah I am going to disagree on finishing the season part. He was a disaster from the words "lethal simplicity". Lol..

Advertisement
Advertisement
Taggart had a 9-12 record at FSU and the Seminoles were 0-5 against in-state rivals UM and Florida and ACC rival Clemson.

The average score of those rivalry games was 40-15. FSU’s 28-27 loss to the Hurricanes in 2017 — after FSU blew a 20-point third quarter lead — was the only game that was decided by less than 17 points.

The Seminoles finished 5-7 in Taggart’s first year and missed a bowl game for the first time since 1981. They hadn’t finished with a losing record since Bobby Bowden’s first year in 1976.

Taggart’s nine wins at FSU have come against Samford, Northern Illinois, Wake Forest, Boston College, Louisville (x2), Louisiana-Monroe, North Carolina State, and Syracuse.

Advertisement
Sounds like coach pushed Matthews out

That’s a bad look for Norvell if you ask me. Matthews has friends on that team, and people notice these kinds of things.

Maybe some team members, recruits and and high school coaches will look at it as s coach committing to culture. Or maybe they will look at him as a smug jerk who thinks he’s better than his troubled players

Advertisement
Back