Tears Nole Tears (“Offcial”)

Advertisement
Flipping Its Friday GIF by Red Bull

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Well, they would have been MUUUUUUCH better off if they had given in to Jimbo, and what Jimbo wanted.

Short of that, I don't know exactly what to say about Taggart.

So let's analyze, realizing that it's easy to think about things after the fact.

First, for Taggart on his own...was he doing the right things? Was he leading the program where it needed to go? Wins and losses were not great, but some difficulty should be anticipated when you change coaches.

Second, even if F$U is not thrilled with Taggart, what is the risk-reward of firing him at the time they did? If he was doing the WRONG things, then I understand a rapid termination. But if it's "he might improve, he might not", then there is an added cost to a rapid termination, as some players would then be getting accustomed to their THIRD head coach and might choose to transfer out.

Third, separate from the roster-churn and other associated risks with burning through head coaches, there is also the financial aspect of doing so. Hiring Taggart cost money (buying him out of his Oregon contract). Firing Taggart cost money (paying him out of his F$U contract). Hiring Norvell cost money (buying him out of his Memphis contract). Just from a financial standpoint, you try to go further than "less than 2 years" with a coach, just on the payout side, in addition to deferring the buyout side for the newest-hired head coach.

And, in retrospect, how bad could it possibly have been to have kept Taggart for 2020? Maybe we couldn't predict COVID, but it certainly doesn't seem like Prison Mike Norvell has transformed F$U over the past two years. Do we really think that Taggart would have gone 3-6 in 2020? And do we really think that Prison Mike Norvell would have been "off the market" at the end of 2020 if Taggart HAD gone 3-6?

I don't know that Willie would have had F$U in the post-season in 2020 or 2021, but I do know that Prison Mike did NOT. And if F$U had retained Willie, and fired him after 2020 or 2021, I think they still could have gotten Prison Mike...or possibly even someone better than Prison Mike...
Logically this all makes sense, but you know if that were us, nobody wants to hear about the wisdom of keeping Taggart. Guy didn't win enough fast enough, and that's all fans care about. That said, I'd be ****ed if I were Taggart.

Advertisement
Back