Nobody on the defense is getting fired?

Great post!
Jarren’s mishaps gifted VT in first half. No offensive movement lost us GT and Duke, UF and UNC was missed opportunities on all phases but not solely on “defense”. FIU is inexcusable but all those loses aren’t solely on defense. They gave us plenty opportunities to win each

Last edited:
Advertisement
Don't understand what you are trying to say here?
Obviously there was an issue with the defense if manny had to get involved.
Why is it unreasonable to ask manny to address the issues on defense as well??
While overshadowed by the offensive issues...the defense had concerning issues as well.

Agree, the defense does have some issues. Having said that, the defense is largely Manny's with some obvious input from Barry and company.

Earlier in the year, posters were complaining when some of those questions started popping up. They asked for a more hands on approach and he got more involved. To what degree, only they can say.

So those wanting wholesale firings are basically asking Diaz to scrap what is largely his defense. We aren't on the staff, I would say and guess they don't feel that they can't improve upon what they've already done. Making changes as they go in scheme and philosophy.

I'm sure, from Manny Diaz's seat...he sees it like this --

Even during a 6-7 season...with how bad its been...

I've got a Top 12 defense in the country in yards per game and yards per play.
I've got a Top 20 pass defense, Top 30 in pass yards per attempt...(hence why you are or have seen rumblings w/ Banda and Rumph)
I've got a Top 20 rush defense, Top 12 in rush yards per attempt.
I've got a Top 25 scoring defense.
I've got a Top 5 defense in sacks and tackles for loss.
I've got a Top 40 defense in turnovers created in 2019, but the most turnovers in college football since he's taken over (again, one of the reasons you see rumblings w/ Banda and Rumph)
I've got a Top 40 defense on Opponent 3rd Down Conversion
I've got a defense in the Top 25 in all Opponent Long Plays stats.

He's not going to rock the boat too much here. Maybe you'll see one move. Maybe get a recruiter in there. Maybe tighten up on certain aspects of the defense, but while the season was horrendous, the defense is fine, just needs to tighten up here and there.

The offense was so appalling, from his perspective, if he can find someone to fix the offense and get improvement out of the unit, he has to be thinking he's caking next year.

I don't agree with him, but as the head coach, I'm sure he doesn't think he's that far away from a pretty good team. Since he's been there, the offense has been the slacking unit and has hindered any and all progress under Richt and currently him (via Enos). I think he's got more problems than just the offense, but the offense is so bad, the rest of the problems take a backseat to that, including the cultural issues with the program. Probably one the reasons they wanted Alonzo Highsmith around...not for some big power play position, but to be an authority figure to help right the culture as "Manny's right hand man" or whatever they wanted to f'n call it.

Again, I don't agree with it, but I'm guessing from Manny's perspective, he's not far off from a respectable place with the University and if he can just get a few things right (first, the offense...second, the culture issues) then he'll be alright and he can tweak the defense later or if it becomes an easy switch.

It is what it is.

Jarren’s mishaps gifted VT in first half. No offensive movement lost us GT and Duke, UF and UNC was missed opportunities on all phases but not solely on “defense”. FIU is excusable but all those loses aren’t solely on defense. They gave us plenty opportunities to win each

Nobody has said at all that they were "solely" on the "defense".
Thats a strawman argument.
What we are saying its that it was issues on BOTH offense and defense.
So manny needs to address that as well...but so far he refuses to acknowledge any issues wity the defense.

Agree, the defense does have some issues. Having said that, the defense is largely Manny's with some obvious input from Barry and company.

Earlier in the year, posters were complaining when some of those questions started popping up. They asked for a more hands on approach and he got more involved. To what degree, only they can say.

So those wanting wholesale firings are basically asking Diaz to scrap what is largely his defense. We aren't on the staff, I would say and guess they don't feel that they can't improve upon what they've already done. Making changes as they go in scheme and philosophy.

Ok...but what I think something else could be going on here that we should acknowledge.
Mannys is refusing to acknowledge ANY issues with his defense. At least publicly. He is the HC and fvck if its "his" defense. If it needs to be fixed it needs to be fixed. So far all he has done is posture as if fixing the offense is all this team needs. THATS NOT TRUE. The defense was responsible as well in a lot of the loses.
Maybe the problem here is that its "his" defense and he can't look at it objectively.

Advertisement
Let’s be honest with ourselves, we only want changes on that side of the ball for recruiting purposes. You think Coach O wanted his D staff fired for letting Vandy and Ole Miss to score more than 30? There’s other examples also for good teams allowing bad teams score. Trust me I want change on that side too but not because our defense was “horrible”. We can clearly upgrade for recruiting purposes (Patke, Rumph and Baker) but call a spade a spade people.

Knights, UM is 13-13 the last 2 seasons. We don't have the talent to beat OSU, Clem, Ala, LSU... but there's enough talent here to beat GT, Duke, FIU, UNC, LA Tech, and VTech. I totally, get the frustration with the offense but every unit of the football team underachieved. Changes need to be made because we're not good enough to win. UM failed on Offense, Defense and Special Teams. That is the ultimate indictment of failure on the sidelines. Every game UM had multiple weeks to prepare for they lost. What does that tell you? That doesn't tell me changes need to be made because of recruiting, it tells me the most important priority they have ( preparing the kids to win games ) they're terrible at. That's about coaching!

Knights, UM is 13-13 the last 2 seasons. We don't have the talent to beat OSU, Clem, Ala, LSU... but there's enough talent here to beat GT, Duke, FIU, UNC, LA Tech, and VTech. I totally, get the frustration with the offense but every unit of the football team underachieved. Changes need to be made because we're not good enough to win. UM failed on Offense, Defense and Special Teams. That is the ultimate indictment of failure on the sidelines. Every game UM had multiple weeks to prepare for they lost. What does that tell you? That doesn't tell me changes need to be made because of recruiting, it tells me the most important priority they have ( preparing the kids to win games ) they're terrible at. That's about coaching!
My point was asking for changes on defense not on offense. The past couple posts before mine only singled out the defense needing to change. I was just saying that was mostly for recruiting purposes. I agree as a whole the past two seasons have been massively disappointing and change is needed

Advertisement
Back