Nobody on the defense is getting fired?

CountDookoo

Recruit
Despite surrendering a 4th quarter lead in 4 of the seven losses, despite allowing VT to drive 80 yards for a clinching TD late in the 4th qtr trailing by 1 point. Despite 4th and 17 to UNC, despite the humiliating loss to FIU on the grounds where this program set an NCAA record 58 straight home wins while surrendering 30 points to a team in the Sunbelt Conference.

"If we can just straighten out the offense." Despite giving up 27 points to Duke, who won 5 games this season. Here's my personal favorite. "The defense only gave up 7 points in regulation to GT." While omitting the fact that GT (who won 3 games) ran the football right down their throats during regulation and overtime.

Who on this site thinks Saban, Meyer, Swinney, or any championship coach would stand pat in the face of these glaring failures. "If we can just straighten the offense out." When Diaz summoned up the courage to make a change on his defensive staff, he opted to sacrifice Mike Rump but couldn't close that either.

Last edited:
Advertisement
I don't know if no one on the defensive side is getting the axe.
Is this definitive?

Advertisement
Despite surrendering a 4th quarter lead in 4 of the seven losses, despite allowing VT to drive 80 yards for a clinching TD late in the 4th qtr trailing by 1 point. Despite 4th and 17 to UNC, despite the humiliating loss to FIU on the grounds where this program set an NCAA record 58 straight home wins while surrendering 30 points to a team in the Sunbelt Conference.

"If we can just straighten out the offense." Despite giving up 27 points to Duke, who won 5 games this season. Here's my personal favorite. "The defense only gave up 7 points in regulation to GT." While omitting the fact that GT (who won 3 games) ran the football right down their throats during regulation and overtime.

Who on this site thinks Saban, Meyer, Swinney, or any championship coach would stand pat in the face of these glaring failures. "If we can just straighten the offense out." When Diaz summoned up the courage to make a change on his defensive staff, he opted to sacrifice Mike Rump but couldn't even close that either.
Now you are catching on.

I’m not too concerned about the D yet. Baker is young and over his head as well but his frosh year was waaaay better then Enos’. I think Baker has a lot of good qualities and seems like a great guy but just not ready for the University of Miami DC role but again that was Manny’s decision.
Our D has been good enough to really good under Manny so I’ll give credit where due. Manny is a career DC which is fine. I like him as a DC as long as he’s not driving the bus. Let him worry about the D not the program. It’s insufferable.

This really comes down to expectations. My UNDERSTANDING is Diaz says he wants to compete for national championships and at the least an ACC championship.

Based on what I saw in the playoffs, our defense would get shredded by those offenses so it’s pretty simple, the current staff isnt going to get us there staff wise (they’ve all been here for years). Combined, they simply don’t have what it takes as a whole regarding recruiting, quality control, and scheme. Yes the defense had decent stats but it feasted on a terrible schedule and was overshadowed by a putrid offense. You cannot watch Clemson and look someone straight in the eye and say this years defense would give you a chance to beat them.

So, stats or not this defense is not setup to compete at a high level so staff changes absolutely should be made this offseason to strengthen that unit farther.

Frankly, Rumph should have never been retained when Diaz was hired last year; he’d already earned a pink slip based on his near-record breakingly bad recruiting at Miami. He simply continued that this year... Currently, Rumph, Banda and Blake should probably all get walking papers. Hire a decent DB coach that can actually recruit and a real DC or at the very least an LB coach that can decently recruit.

Ultimately this defensive staff can’t do what Diaz says is his mission/goal, to not upgrade it this year simply because the offense was terrible says Diaz either doesn’t understand what is required to actually compete against teams like Clemson (sad considering he’s been here 5 years?) OR he’s full of **** when he says he wants to actually compete for ACC and national championships.

Either way if he doesn’t proactively tweak that side of the ball this offseason it’s just another example that Diaz isn’t the guy.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Are you really surprised he is not firing anyone on defense? Other than Rumph, they are all his buddies and proteges so they are never going anywhere!

It's his defense and you all were clamoring for him to get more involved, yet you wonder why he hasn't fired everyone? Is this real life?

Advertisement
staff changes on defensive side of the ball seem in order, issue is with CMD/Blake on thin ice finding talent to come coach will be tough. we will get a retread as OC and hope he can resurrect career Fedora?, Applewhite(beer drinking buddy).
Only way anything changes if its is forced by BOT.....

I’m not too concerned about the D yet. Baker is young and over his head as well but his frosh year was waaaay better then Enos’. I think Baker has a lot of good qualities and seems like a great guy but just not ready for the University of Miami DC role but again that was Manny’s decision.
Our D has been good enough to really good under Manny so I’ll give credit where due. Manny is a career DC which is fine. I like him as a DC as long as he’s not driving the bus. Let him worry about the D not the program. It’s insufferable.

That's all you had to say.

Its always the Offenses fault.....the d shuts down all these top ranked offenses......well except GT DUke F I U

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back