NO STARS...ONLY FILM.

Advertisement
You guys really jump through hoops to justify what goes on with this program...and, you do it for every.single.coach.

I'm all for giving Manny his time. He'll get it. You don't need to pound the table in support the entire time.

All I know...is if you're going to be "the smartest guy in the room" your evaluations better be on point...football is littered with corncobs that think they got the special sauce and most of them flop. The "smartest guys" that succeed (say, Chip Kelly or Mike Leach) usually have a system and a player type that they can snipe and punch above their weight. idk if Manny Diaz is that guy on the defensive side, but I guess we'll see.

but did you know Ed Reed was a 2 star?!?!
Actually I'm very aware. Butch was a different breed. He ACTUALLY did live like that. The rest of them just talking. We get a list from each of the sites for a certain number. That's why theres so many **** evaluations probably cause those dudes dont know ****

🌠🌠🌠🌠 manny Diaz says he and his staff are not depending on highlighted films or stars,
They're going to watch every recruit on there board.
I mean wow! When the last time we heard that? If this ain't old school recruting than I have no ideal. Manny for governor go
CANES!!!🍊🏈

Not to **** in your Cheerios, but that's a meaningless comment from Manny, or any coach for that matter. Coaches make or break their living on how well they evaluate 3 🌟 players. There's not nearly as many 4 and 5 🌟 recruits to begin with, and outside of a few programs, most are in play for very few per cycle. So, yeah, evaluation of the general population is the essence of recruiting.

Advertisement
but did you know Ed Reed was a 2 star?!?!

The question you should ask yourself is..what are you going to do/say when Manny wins the 6th NC in program history with predominantly 3 & 4 star players. Are you still going to bless this forum with your tried & true sarcasm..that never grows old?? I'm seriously concerned whether you'll run out of material, but knowing you, I'm sure you'll come up with something else

Actually I'm very aware. Butch was a different breed. He ACTUALLY did live like that. The rest of them just talking. We get a list from each of the sites for a certain number. That's why theres so many **** evaluations probably cause those dudes dont know ****

I'm only joking bro. The Ed Reed response is the usual answer people give when you bring up the stars comment. I am 100% with you. Just being sarcastic, but its hard to tell over the internet.

The question you should ask yourself is..what are you going to do/say when Manny wins the 6th NC in program history with predominantly 3 & 4 star players. Are you still going to bless this forum with your tried & true sarcasm..that never grows old?? I'm seriously concerned whether you'll run out of material, but knowing you, I'm sure you'll come up with something else

I will be very happy. What are you going to say when, the much more likely scenario happens? When we get crushed in bowl games, OOC games, and cross division games by teams loaded with 4 and 5 stars?

Yes I understand a lot of coaches say that, but, you also have to remember that almost
All our players get a lower bid just because
Of who we are. Brevin Jordan was a beast
Top T.E.. coming out only a four star why because we got him early and he cut off
All schools. But no excuses it's just I've been keeping up with the star system and we have
More 3 stars or low 4 stars playing in the NFL than anyone so numbers dont lie, I'm
Just saying.
Bingo. People can follow the blue chip ratio to assess our talent but they have to account for the blatant Miami recruiting industry bias that exists. No way in **** mammarelli, q.williams, and roberts are 3 star players but since they are currently our recruiting doesn't look nearly as impressive on paper.

Advertisement
Bingo. People can follow the blue chip ratio to assess our talent but they have to account for the blatant Miami recruiting industry bias that exists. No way in **** mammarelli, q.williams, and roberts are 3 star players but since they are currently our recruiting doesn't look nearly as impressive on paper.
This alleged miami recruiting bias may just be a delusion of our fans. Nothing about Miami’s performance the past 17 years suggests our guys should be more highly rated.

The real bias in the rating services is towards programs that win. Coker’s classes were overrated because they still thought we were relevant as a program. After all the mediocrity, they finally caught on.

For the most part, the Director of Player Personnel puts together a list of players for each position (let’s say 50 players or so), then gives it to each position coach.

From there, the position coaches watch the players on film. The point is to prioritize who to see in person and stack their boards on talent.

The top targets then get all games they can get from the schools and positional coaches put together a travel plan and pass along kids they want to offer to the coordinators.

While on the road, positional coaches bug the crap out of high school coaches for who is good and who to watch etc. Sometimes these guys will add to their board someone they see on the road.

Then they start the process of learning everything they can about the kid. Who are the important people in their circles (decision makers or influencers).

Every program is a little different on when they give a commutable offer, but most everywhere has a round table discussion where a coach better have conviction in front of the HC or he will get eaten up in those meetings in front of everyone. Often times the HC doesn’t even have a true objection, he just wants to see how hard his position coach will fight for his evaluation.

Many of our fans don’t quite understand just how important the support staff is in recruiting and that there is a reason one of the first things Coach Diaz did was hire Andy Vaughn to handle that role.

It is quite important.

This alleged miami recruiting bias may just be a delusion of our fans. Nothing about Miami’s performance the past 17 years suggests our guys should be more highly rated.

The real bias in the rating services is towards programs that win. Coker’s classes were overrated because they still thought we were relevant as a program. After all the mediocrity, they finally caught on.
Michael Redding, who looked great at The Opening in Dallas, immediately had his ranking drop post commitment. What plausible explanation exists for this ? I'll save you the reply cuz there simply isn't one.

For the few on here who seem to know exactly how and why Manny and this staff are doing things, while intimating they are somehow failing, show me the defensive busts on this roster.

Pretty much the entire defensive coaching staff remains and they've been evalauting and offering kids for the last four years. I guarantee you the Saturday afternoon ballers far outnumber the duds.

Until they don't how can you come on here and think you sound like anything other than a star gazing wannabe.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Michael Redding, who looked great at The Opening in Dallas, immediately had his ranking drop post commitment. What plausible explanation exists for this ? I'll save you the reply cuz there simply isn't one.
You are trying to reason backwards from a conclusion. You don’t know why he got adjusted, and I don’t. You surmise it’s a conspiracy. Maybe so. But you also are reading the reports you want to read, and approaching it all like a fan of UM.

It would probably be easier to keep a running list of the coaches that say, "I go by the star system" than it would to list the coaches that say they don't go by the star system.

Is it? How many coaches openly admit to going by the star system?

I dont think any coach would admit they recruit off the star/magazine lists, even if they did...
For the most part, the Director of Player Personnel puts together a list of players for each position (let’s say 50 players or so), then gives it to each position coach.

From there, the position coaches watch the players on film. The point is to prioritize who to see in person and stack their boards on talent.

The top targets then get all games they can get from the schools and positional coaches put together a travel plan and pass along kids they want to offer to the coordinators.

While on the road, positional coaches bug the crap out of high school coaches for who is good and who to watch etc. Sometimes these guys will add to their board someone they see on the road.

Then they start the process of learning everything they can about the kid. Who are the important people in their circles (decision makers or influencers).

Every program is a little different on when they give a commutable offer, but most everywhere has a round table discussion where a coach better have conviction in front of the HC or he will get eaten up in those meetings in front of everyone. Often times the HC doesn’t even have a true objection, he just wants to see how hard his position coach will fight for his evaluation.

Many of our fans don’t quite understand just how important the support staff is in recruiting and that there is a reason one of the first things Coach Diaz did was hire Andy Vaughn to handle that role.

It is quite important.

Roffers bringing heat like late 70s Rich Gossage...

Last edited:
Advertisement

Dude. You are sold on Manny winning a 6th title for us? I made a joke about this a day ago. Look, great. You are an optimistic fan. Fantastic. I've just lived this movie multiple times for nearly two decades now and forgive me if I need some evidence on someone being good at their job before getting excited.

I will be very happy. What are you going to say when, the much more likely scenario happens? When we get crushed in bowl games, OOC games, and cross division games by teams loaded with 4 and 5 stars?

Only a few teams in the country are "loaded with 4 and 5 stars." Honestly, right now I'd be happy just to beat the teams loaded with 2 and 3 stars like Duke, BC, Virginia, and Wisconsin. Win the games we're supposed to, instead of going on losing streaks against middling teams. If Manny does that, he's better than the previous 4 bums.

Advertisement
Back