NO STARS...ONLY FILM.

Dude. You are sold on Manny winning a 6th title for us? I made a joke about this a day ago. Look, great. You are an optimistic fan. Fantastic. I've just lived this movie multiple times for nearly two decades now and forgive me if I need some evidence on someone being good at their job before getting excited.
Facts

Some people want to see it and are hesitant and thats understandable.

Advertisement
I'm only joking bro. The Ed Reed response is the usual answer people give when you bring up the stars comment. I am 100% with you. Just being sarcastic, but its hard to tell over the internet.
This **** always loses context. All good brother. I feel the easiest way to deal with most is just dont read it anymore. Lol

I will be very happy. What are you going to say when, the much more likely scenario happens? When we get crushed in bowl games, OOC games, and cross division games by teams loaded with 4 and 5 stars?

I will concede defeat, and will no longer post on this forum. Can you also provide a similar assurance? I believe if you actually possessed a thorough understanding of this program's history, you wouldn't be as elitist towards recruiting as you currently are. Being an upstart/microwave dynasty means that MIA was forced to follow an unconventional/different path towards becoming dominant in comparison to other programs or blue-bloods. I'm not trying to suggest talent doesn't matter, but that coaching matters more. Much more in fact. It's the reason why a team like Syracuse, which ranks in the 50's & 60's in recruiting, almost ends up beating Clemson 2 yrs in a row. Or why a team like Wash St. ends up being on the cusp of the CFB playoffs..

I will be very happy. What are you going to say when, the much more likely scenario happens? When we get crushed in bowl games, OOC games, and cross division games by teams loaded with 4 and 5 stars?
Stars wont matter then they will say it was scheme and technique. Always an excuse when everyone with half a brain knows stars matter. The coaches who usually say this means they give up trying to get those types of players cause they cant get them. They usually say this because part of the fan base is upset and they read it and know it.

Stars wont matter then they will say it was scheme and technique. Always an excuse when everyone with half a brain knows stars matter. The coaches who usually say this means they give up trying to get those types of players cause they cant get them. They usually say this because part of the fan base is upset and they read it and know it.

If you actually understood this program's history..like thoroughly UNDERSTOOD it, then you wouldn't talk about recruiting rankings/stars & bags..the way that you constantly do on this forum. We are DIFFERENT, point blank period. You can't compare MIA to other programs or blue-bloods

Advertisement
If you actually understood this program's history..like thoroughly UNDERSTOOD it, then you wouldn't talk about recruiting rankings/stars & bags..the way that you constantly do on this forum. We are DIFFERENT, point blank period. You can't compare MIA to other programs or blue-bloods
Lmao.

We will win when we get the right talent and coach it up properly. The new world of social media, camps, video tape and recruiting services mean the right talent is less hidden than it used to be. That’s a fact, amd no amount of talking about 1985 will change it. It doesn’t mean we should chase stars. That’s not at all the case. It does mean that directionally, they are revealing of how we are recruiting.

You are trying to reason backwards from a conclusion. You don’t know why he got adjusted, and I don’t. You surmise it’s a conspiracy. Maybe so. But you also are reading the reports you want to read, and approaching it all like a fan of UM.
A conspiracy is a bit farther than I'd go lol but the timing of it all was too convenient as it's not even an evaluation period and Redding, who balled out at The Opening, somehow had a ratings drop ? Not being a homer at all, that's objectively strange and likely wouldn't happen if Redding were a Bama commit.

A conspiracy is a bit farther than I'd go lol but the timing of it all was too convenient as it's not even an evaluation period and Redding, who balled out at The Opening, somehow had a ratings drop ? Not being a homer at all, that's objectively strange and likely wouldn't happen if Redding were a Bama commit.
Considering Alabama has produced Cooper, Ridley and Jeudy recently, I’d say it makes logical sense that their WR evals are given more credit than ours.

Its a different time, things dont stay the same dog. We are different but those hidden gems are gone guys like ray Lewis or Ed Reed aint going unknow. U really think an Ed Reed will attend camps and have Tulane and UM offers? No way in **** its rare a hall of famer goes under the radar especially a Louisiana DB.

Advertisement
Considering Alabama has produced Cooper, Ridley and Jeudy recently, I’d say it makes logical sense that their WR evals are given more credit than ours.
They have proven there WR evals are savage, and the way they recruit certain WRs. When they put the full court press u know the chances of that kid being special are high. They went after Ahmmon hard and when he played here with bad QB play he was still a monster even in a weak offense. Fans here (not you) have to remember and consider how hard there going after guys, there are guys there willing to lose but there are guys they go all out for.

Lmao.

We will win when we get the right talent and coach it up properly. The new world of social media, camps, video tape and recruiting services mean the right talent is less hidden than it used to be. That’s a fact, amd no amount of talking about 1985 will change it. It doesn’t mean we should chase stars. That’s not at all the case. It does mean that directionally, they are revealing of how we are recruiting.
It amazes me people still think like this **** is 1985 lol, crazy fuqin fans. If technology stood the same we wont be having this convo on this board anjd we be winning titles like crazy.

Only a few teams in the country are "loaded with 4 and 5 stars." Honestly, right now I'd be happy just to beat the teams loaded with 2 and 3 stars like Duke, BC, Virginia, and Wisconsin. Win the games we're supposed to, instead of going on losing streaks against middling teams. If Manny does that, he's better than the previous 4 bums.

Very true. Agree 100%.

Advertisement
I will concede defeat, and will no longer post on this forum. Can you also provide a similar assurance? I believe if you actually possessed a thorough understanding of this program's history, you wouldn't be as elitist towards recruiting as you currently are. Being an upstart/microwave dynasty means that MIA was forced to follow an unconventional/different path towards becoming dominant in comparison to other programs or blue-bloods. I'm not trying to suggest talent doesn't matter, but that coaching matters more. Much more in fact. It's the reason why a team like Syracuse, which ranks in the 50's & 60's in recruiting, almost ends up beating Clemson 2 yrs in a row. Or why a team like Wash St. ends up being on the cusp of the CFB playoffs..

I fully understand this programs history. However, those days are long gone. The days of recruiting services sucking is way behind us.

Do you think Notre Dame tells their coaching staff. "George Gipp never even had HS film! No need to watch HS film to win NCs". "Knute Rockne never had a top 10 class according to 247. That is the path we should continue to follow".

Great example! Since Syracuse got very lucky one year and Clemson schit the bed one game. We should recruit like them. Awesome logic. Wash ST. was not making the playoffs. Even if they won the Pac 12 they were getting left out. Wash St. did well because they play in the worst conference in the nation. They played nothing but bums last year and they still lost to the only 2 actually talented teams in the conf. Wash and USC.

No, I will not provide similar assurance because I actually want Manny to succeed. If he wins a 6th I would be very happy, but he is not going to do it with a bunch of 3 stars. If he wins an NC it is going to be with blue chips.

Are you serious? The last time we heard that was richt. Than golden,shannon etc... EVERY ****** COACH SAYS THAT! I guess that's ur indicator on why we offer so many 2 & 3 stars. He apparently sees things no one else does by that logic. Good lord

Real talk, I think several of our 3 star recruits will be 4 stars, honestly. But, I’m still not comfortable w a class that’s led by 3 stars.

Sometimes these recruiting services over evaluate, but for the most part, the recruiting services & those who are invited to the Major all star games (UAAA & USAAA) have it right. Teams w high blue chip ratios, wins; that’s a fact.

Last edited:
They have proven there WR evals are savage, and the way they recruit certain WRs. When they put the full court press u know the chances of that kid being special are high. They went after Ahmmon hard and when he played here with bad QB play he was still a monster even in a weak offense. Fans here (not you) have to remember and consider how hard there going after guys, there are guys there willing to lose but there are guys they go all out for.
Correct. But it’s not just that some guys they go after hard and some less hard. There are a lot of kids that claim an Alabama offer who they maybe sniffed once or twice. They send out lots of ‘offers.’ Early, too! On this board people bemoan that we don’t seem to send as many early offers as they do. But let’s acknowledge that those aren’t real offers. They aren’t taking kids like that at all. The kids who they really want, they mostly get. And the ones they chase and lose, it’s usually clear. Richards was a kid they wanted, like you mention. Hillery was not, at all.

Advertisement
You guys really jump through hoops to justify what goes on with this program...and, you do it for every.single.coach.

I'm all for giving Manny his time. He'll get it. You don't need to pound the table in support the entire time.

All I know...is if you're going to be "the smartest guy in the room" your evaluations better be on point...football is littered with corncobs that think they got the special sauce and most of them flop. The "smartest guys" that succeed (say, Chip Kelly or Mike Leach) usually have a system and a player type that they can snipe and punch above their weight. idk if Manny Diaz is that guy on the defensive side, but I guess we'll see.

How often have we heard, “I’ll trust the staff on this one.”

Listen, I do think Manny will be different (really hopeful). His game talk is better than the last 4 coaches we’ve had here. However, he’s got to realize that we’re all for the intellectual type players, but at the D1 level, intellect has to be meshed w athleticism.

Sometimes flaws in schemes can be hidden by great players, and sometimes coaches force schemes that don’t fit personnel. We’ve seen a glimpse at the type of D he wants to run, which is y I was on board w a Cave, Mathis, and the raw abilities of Height (if he’s coached up)...but then I question an offer to Flagg....for this scheme.

I dunno; I’m just waiting for the season to begin, b/c I feel some of these guys we have on board might not make it if we’re still in contact w bigger fish that may just bite s a successful season.

Correct. But it’s not just that some guys they go after hard and some less hard. There are a lot of kids that claim an Alabama offer who they maybe sniffed once or twice. They send out lots of ‘offers.’ Early, too! On this board people bemoan that we don’t seem to send as many early offers as they do. But let’s acknowledge that those aren’t real offers. They aren’t taking kids like that at all. The kids who they really want, they mostly get. And the ones they chase and lose, it’s usually clear. Richards was a kid they wanted, like you mention. Hillery was not, at all.
FACTS

Advertisement
Back