No coach can overcome a bad coordinator

LOL...smoke and mirrors.

Gave up 42 to a bad VT team.
Gave up 27 to a bad Louisville team
Gave up 28 to a bad GT team.

One great defensive performance? Virginia, though they weren't hanging 50 on anyone.

Holding Central Michigan to 12? A mediocre UNC team got 28. A poor FIU squad got 30.

While I'm sure the "overall defense" stat is accurate, somehow....I'm still having a hard time believing it.

All of that said.....OF COURSE a high octane offense, even putting up points TOO FAST is better than one that doesn't do **** except wear out their defense.

UM

Yeah, take that 13th overall ranking with a grain of salt. I kind of just used that to illustrate that our defense was miles and miles better than the offense. By no means did we have an elite, or even very good defense, especially situational defense (4th and 17 vs UNC).

Advertisement
Why exactly?
F418A581-3052-473D-8152-98DEA87732A2.gif

I agree with you, and disagree with the overall premise by the OP, but I don't think it's an issue of talent.
Certainly not raw talent. Even our QBs have really good talent. It's the discipline and lack of work ethic that is killing us. The lack of dedication to being the best. Williams, for example, was just happy being the starter. He didn't put in the work to be the best he could be, but was content being the tallest midget.

Now, what is the head coach going to do to make sure this attitude doesn't stick around? Williams leaving is a start. Especially if he was nudged out. It sends a strong signal that mediocrity in effort will not be tolerated. Problem is, it was already tolerated, and may be again if there's no one better behind you on the roster. How does a HC make **** sure this doesn't happen?

I'll never forget Enos chasing Williams down telling him he had to throw a **** Hail Mary. That's football 101, and Williams just couldn't grasp it. All the talent in the world, but not enough work put in to grasp common sense football. We don't need slackers in the most important room in the building, and that's what we've had. Diaz needs to lay down some hard laws, or history will repeat itself.

Almost everybody seemed to be projecting a Miami vs FAU Independence Bowl. The La Tech selection was a bit of a surprise.

Imagine if we had lost to both FIU and FAU in a span of 3 games. (With a Duke loss being in between the 2 games.) Jesus Christ.

Advertisement
Certainly not raw talent. Even our QBs have really good talent. It's the discipline and lack of work ethic that is killing us. The lack of dedication to being the best. Williams, for example, was just happy being the starter. He didn't put in the work to be the best he could be, but was content being the tallest midget.

Now, what is the head coach going to do to make sure this attitude doesn't stick around? Williams leaving is a start. Especially if he was nudged out. It sends a strong signal that mediocrity in effort will not be tolerated. Problem is, it was already tolerated, and may be again if there's no one better behind you on the roster. How does a HC make **** sure this doesn't happen?

I'll never forget Enos chasing Williams down telling him he had to throw a **** Hail Mary. That's football 101, and Williams just couldn't grasp it. All the talent in the world, but not enough work put in to grasp common sense football. We don't need slackers in the most important room in the building, and that's what we've had. Diaz needs to lay down some hard laws, or history will repeat itself.

watching Enos chasing and yelling at Williams was a sad sight to behold

See LSU.
Orgeron didn't become a good coach. he was a failure at USC and Ole Miss. LSU surrounded him with the best staff money could buy, and a good team in 2018 became a great team in 2019.
This post isn't a statement about Manny, but that staff makes a huge difference
The Joe Brady hire won them the championship. He took a good QB and put him in a great offense. He helped Joe Burrow reach his potential.

watching Enos chasing and yelling at Williams was a sad sight to behold
I trashed Enos all year, but that was quite sobering. I thought to myself, "**** Dan, I'm sorry. I didn't know Jarren came to school on the short bus."

Advertisement
See LSU.
Orgeron didn't become a good coach. he was a failure at USC and Ole Miss. LSU surrounded him with the best staff money could buy, and a good team in 2018 became a great team in 2019.
This post isn't a statement about Manny, but that staff makes a huge difference

Orgeron has shown signs of being able to lead young men under difficult circumstances.

X’s and O’s were his problem. Give him coordinators that take care of that, he will have his team focused and ready to play more often than not.

I agree to a certain degree that MOST coaches cant. But great coaches can make up for it with great management of the game. Time out knowing when to go for it on 4th down things like that. Manny doesn't have that. Also competant coaches usually have more than one person on offense who has called plays or atleast ready to assume the responsibility if needed. The only reason Enos wasn't fired sooner was because no one else on the staff could temporarily assume his duties. That's one aspect of that debocle that Manny wasn't beat up enough about. Your exactly right about the fact that it's time to stop making excuses for Manny

Advertisement
A head coach is only as good as his WORST coordinator...

If our offense played as well as our defense, this year would've been completely different.

Cant expect Diaz, or any head coach, to overcome a horrible offensive or defensive coordinator.

HC's put their coordinators in place to do their job.

Vice-Versa, if our offense was putting up 35+ a game but our defense sucked, it woudl've been the same story.

Manny deserves credit for addressing the biggest problems from last year: OC,QB,K. OL remains to be seen.

If our defense stays the same and our offense improves, like it should, we will have a MUCH better year.

Which coordinator was responsible for the cancerous locker room manny yaps about?

Jim McCelwain was a bad OC who Saban overcame.
McCelwain couldnt fix offense at Florida as a HC but still went to two SEC championships if I recall. Enos is not the reason we were so bad last year. He was definately a factor but I can't sit here and use Enos as a justification for the Georgia Tech loss. People were rightfully upset about FIU loss but FIU probably beats the Georgia Tech team. They were one of the worst teams in football last year.

McCelwain couldnt fix offense at Florida as a HC but still went to two SEC championships if I recall. Enos is not the reason we were so bad last year. He was definately a factor but I can't sit here and use Enos as a justification for the Georgia Tech loss. People were rightfully upset about FIU loss but FIU probably beats the Georgia Tech team. They were one of the worst teams in football last year.

McElwain was a terrible HC, and every Alabama fan knows he was a terrible OC as well.

But Saban still won 2 national titles with him.

Advertisement
McElwain was a terrible HC, and every Alabama fan knows he was a terrible OC as well.

But Saban still won 2 national titles with him.
I agree that he was a terrible OC. Never said he wasn't. You think Manny better?

Advertisement
Back