No Character

Coaching has been a major issue. But I still say if you're defending the players, you never played the game. When you sign it becomes your program - your house - your legacy.

When you take the field, your team’s collective effort and execution is what decides the game. If you take plays off like 4th and 17 or don’t cover a fake punt, you aren’t executing.

Players don't take a field to be embarrassed by sub-par teams. Those are teams on the schedule you look to beat the dog **** out of and pad stats; like CANES Teams used to. If A GT happens more than once in a season, you have a huge problem on your hands.

That kind of talk the OP reports from veterans, says everything you need to know. The staff failed at instituting accountability, the Seniors who've been in the program from the start, have no leadership skills (Sad that 1st year Cane, KJ showed more leadership with his play then you saw from the entire D). So, they’re already making excuses for losing.

This is an unprecedented low in Miami Football, the players bear equal responsibility for it. Players play, losers lose.
Lol

Advertisement
If this is true our players are soft as ****. Dont seem motivated? How about your draft stock? Your money!! Your pride!! No one should have to motivate you to secure your future.

Agree. Even if you feel the coaching isn't great, the players control 100% of their effort.

If they want to look like fools on national TV, fine. But that shows zero pride/heart and only make themselves look like entitled fair weather athletes.....and if the NFL is what they seek, it's a poor @ss look for future employers.

You do realize the second half of your statement is just dumb AF right? You’re saying it’s ok to be little soft mental bishes just cause of the staff? It’s this kind of thinking that permeates through the S FL culture that ensures well never return to glory days. You and the people who think like that gives the kids built in excuses for any kind of adversity.

Keep trumpeting dumb *** lines like this and we’ll stay broken as a culture with regards to our team. You and the rest of the nitwits who say **** like this are just dumb.

1. If the kids don't believe in the coaches and can see that the coaches lack direction and can't even decide on who to put at QB, OL, etc, you really expect them to be all in for this type of bowl game?

2. You can blame S.Florida all you want but our weak minded, transfer ready QB is from Georgia. So is Mr "I need a break to be with my girlfriend." 3rd string QB. Our headcase of a WR is from Illinois. There is plenty of weak minded people not from South Florida on this team.

Manny and gang of goofs are the built in excuse. You don't win in spite of coaching. Manny and his clowns would lose 2 games with 2001 Canes and you really expect these guys to be ready to go for today's game. The culture isn't broken because of the kids. How can you blame kids who have been here for 3 years for 15 YEARS for the same attitudes?

Advertisement
This team is never motivated. They always think they're Bama and should roll people. Then they end up with a 1 pt win or a loss. Happens most games most years.

Yup.

I said it walking out of the UF game. For some reason, the kids who come through this program think they’re WAY better than they really are. A loss or two, and they go completely in the tank. Staff doesn’t even matter. These kids walk by the NC trophies in the Hecht and think those apply to them in the least bit. It’s insane. And it’s been going on for 15 years.

It’s 100% the coaching. You are so beyond naive. This happens with every SINGLE regime going back to Randy when the term was “country club players”.

The coach’s job is to motivate his players. If he cant do that, he sucks at his job.

Stop blaming the 18-22 year old amateurs when the four million dollar coach is the problem.

I was an 18-22 year old college player, so stop making sweeping wand excuses that its only coaching - maybe you weren't around for the glory years when other groups of 18-22 year olds with different Canes Coaches, showed leadership on the field, executed, and played disciplined ball and won. Miami is stuck on recruiting Miami talent which is flawed by the time everybody else cherry picks it. Same problems different coaches. And yes we had some horrible coaches.

I know its a crappy bowl game, but the players should be motivated to go out and try to get a win. Why would you want to have a loosing record.

I have said this all along, you can’t just blame the coaches for this season. The lack of effort and energy from the players is part of the reason we stink.

Sounds like we will see something similar to the Fiesta Bowl vs Arizona in early 1990s ('93 season) where the team showed up disinterested and were promptly dispatched.

That game...was earth shattering...for a Miami team. That was our worst defeat since the 1986 Sugar Bowl (1985 season) loss to Tennessee...35-7.

Now we would kill to have a team/staff/admin capable of getting Miami to the Fiesta Bowl.

Advertisement
I was an 18-22 year old college player, so stop making sweeping wand excuses that its only coaching - maybe you weren't around for the glory years when other groups of 18-22 year olds with different Canes Coaches, showed leadership on the field, executed, and played disciplined ball and won. Miami is stuck on recruiting Miami talent which is flawed by the time everybody else cherry picks it. Same problems different coaches. And yes we had some horrible coaches.

Exactly, it's both.

Players control their effort and pride. Coaches control their scheme and motivational tactics. They also control who plays and doesn't, so if players aren't giving effort, coaches shouldn't give reps.

Three of those four coaches either had or went on to win superbowl rings as head coaches or coordinators. The one who DIDNT oversaw the beginning of a decline in player focus (Dennis). Thanks for making my point.

“A UM player said some of the veterans on the team don’t seem terribly interested or motivated to play this Independence Bowl game. And that should be a big concern because Louisiana Tech should be highly motivated. That’s one reason why playing some of the hungry freshmen would seem to be a good idea.

The player said the offense struggled against the scout team defense during parts of practice last week – I wasn’t given an update on this week’s practices in Shreveport – and Tate Martell’s performance remained erratic.

This game is important in the sense that a loss would mean a 6-7 finish and make it more difficult to lure recruits or grad transfers with Miami’s remaining half-dozen-or-so scholarships”

SIAP

Slurpers Kool-Aid drinkers...start the spin machine. I'm sure Andrew (Moderator) will have something to say while I'm being put in a black book of bad CIS posters. I want Miami to smoke La Tech...just dont see it happening.
I thought Culture was the buzz word.

I do have issues with this staff, HOWEVER, It's is beyond my comprehension how any player can not have enough self pride to go out, and give everything they have regardless of the opponent.
I think we recruited too many Tarzans that play like Jane.

Advertisement
Should the players be motivated to play any game? Sure!!

However, it’s hard to blame any of the players with this staff leading the charge
Players should be self motivated, to an extent.

They should want to win this game as this season has been a ******* embarrassment. To hear players are checking out tells me everything I need to know about this group of players.

This thread is the epitome of LOSER FANS who are worried about a meaningless bowl game where multiple players are sitting out.

But i guarantee you that there are YOUNG players very motivated to get into the game to show what they can do against live competition.

But putting your hopes on a win? Stupid!

It's scrimmage ya dummies!

Advertisement
Lets just review for the moron “miami bro” folks.

Howard (SB ring as coordinator and NFL HC), JJ (2 rings as HC), Butch (SB ring as coordinator and NFL HC), Dennis (NFL HC).

Larry Coker (never a HC before, never coached Power 5 again), Randy Shannon (never a HC before, never a HC again, ****** DC elsewhere), Al Golden (Temple HC before, never a HC again, position coach), Mark Richt (out of football), Manny Diaz (doesnt even need to be discussed).

HMMMMMMM, what could be the issue at UM? is it the magic player virus? Hmmmm is it the “south florida divas”? What could it be?!?!?

Coaching has been a major issue. But I still say if you're defending the players, you never played the game. When you sign it becomes your program - your house - your legacy.

When you take the field, your team’s collective effort and execution is what decides the game. If you take plays off like 4th and 17 or don’t cover a fake punt, you aren’t executing.

Players don't take a field to be embarrassed by sub-par teams. Those are teams on the schedule you look to beat the dog **** out of and pad stats; like CANES Teams used to. If A GT happens more than once in a season, you have a huge problem on your hands.

That kind of talk the OP reports from veterans, says everything you need to know. The staff failed at instituting accountability, the Seniors who've been in the program from the start, have no leadership skills (Sad that 1st year Cane, KJ showed more leadership with his play then you saw from the entire D). So, they’re already making excuses for losing.

This is an unprecedented low in Miami Football, the players bear equal responsibility for it. Players play, losers lose.

Holding the players responsible as a whole is a flawed way of thinking. I’m sure there are single players who hate losing and hold themselves accountable, but in a team sport, culture and coaching matter most. A couple guys can’t win a game when others don’t do their job. Mob mentality always wins out. Eventually the group not caring wears on those individuals, which leads to taking plays off etc.

You can have an equal number of winners and losers, and the losers will win out every time. You need a vast majority of winners to change the mentality of the losers. In our case we have about 90% losers, and that's not even taking into account talent level. Having a winners mentality means nothing if you can’t get on the field over the losers. Being a loser is a disease that takes much longer to get rid of than it does to catch.

Advertisement
Back