No Beckham Stadium...

...reports NBC local news. A new private location may happen, but the Miami one is nixed. Didn't want to deal with the City of Miami approval process. ...which probably included greasing the palms of several local politicians.

Beckham Finds New, Privately Owned Site For Stadium

David Beckham has found a site for his soccer stadium, and it isn’t next to Marlins Park.

Instead, Beckham partner Tim Leiweke told CNBC yesterday that “I think we have found a site” that is “probably different than what people think we’re doing.” He said that the group would know within days if they have a deal.

Dade schools Superintendent Alberto Carvalho told the Herald that he didn’t know where Beckham’s new site is, but it is privately owned.

If true, it's funny how they were able to find land in Dade County suitable for an entire stadium build and at a cost enticing enough to abandon any potential govt. assistance. Amazing what can be done when people apparently have the will to do so. I'm not even saying that we have the same financial resources currently available as they do but they sure seemed to be able to locate a parcel of land that works for a stadium in what has to be a desirable location pretty quick. Isn't that always the first excuse we hear- But WHERE would you build it? As if there is absolutely no land remaining in Dade County.
d

To be fair, we'd be looking for a parcel of land at least twice the size of anything beckham and co will look for on their own, and our stadium would need easy access for 40-50k, instead of 15-20k.

Not saying it can't be done, but it's not an analogous situation at all.

Beckham was talking 25k capacity venue in the last update when they were still pursuing the Marlins Park site. Now if he downsizes on this new parcel that's one thing but if it's still a 25k seat deal then you're inching much closer to what would be needed for a 40k seat venue.

Advertisement
...reports NBC local news. A new private location may happen, but the Miami one is nixed. Didn't want to deal with the City of Miami approval process. ...which probably included greasing the palms of several local politicians.

David Beckham has found a site for his soccer stadium, and it isn’t next to Marlins Park.

Instead, Beckham partner Tim Leiweke told CNBC yesterday that “I think we have found a site” that is “probably different than what people think we’re doing.” He said that the group would know within days if they have a deal.

Dade schools Superintendent Alberto Carvalho told the Herald that he didn’t know where Beckham’s new site is, but it is privately owned.

If true, it's funny how they were able to find land in Dade County suitable for an entire stadium build and at a cost enticing enough to abandon any potential govt. assistance. Amazing what can be done when people apparently have the will to do so. I'm not even saying that we have the same financial resources currently available as they do but they sure seemed to be able to locate a parcel of land that works for a stadium in what has to be a desirable location pretty quick. Isn't that always the first excuse we hear- But WHERE would you build it? As if there is absolutely no land remaining in Dade County.
d

To be fair, we'd be looking for a parcel of land at least twice the size of anything beckham and co will look for on their own, and our stadium would need easy access for 40-50k, instead of 15-20k.

Beckham was talking 25k capacity venue in the last update when they were still pursuing the Marlins Park site. Now if he downsizes on this new parcel that's one thing but if it's still a 25k seat deal then you're inching much closer to what would be needed for a 40k seat venue.

iIRC, they were saying 20-25k, with 25k being the max, while they were still in talks with UM, who was pushing for the upper limit (and beyond). I don't know that beckham ever specified he wanted 25k, just that that was the outer limit of what they would consider.

d

iIRC, they were saying 20-25k, with 25k being the max, while they were still in talks with UM, who was pushing for the upper limit (and beyond). I don't know that beckham ever specified he wanted 25k, just that that was the outer limit of what they would consider.

Who knows? The reporting on this has been almost as all over the place as the actual dealings. Here's something from late October where they were even saying 30k capacity.

Report: David Beckham, City of Miami close to MLS stadium deal | Canes Watch

d

Who knows? The reporting on this has been almost as all over the place as the actual dealings. Here's something from late October where they were even saying 30k capacity.

Point is that, either way, we're talking about a substantially bigger piece of property, for substantially more people. Whether it's 33% larger or 50% larger...it would still cost substantially more and require better egress and ingress routes to handle the larger crowds.

Remember boys and girls, we already had a piece of property large enough to build our own stadium.

Advertisement
d

Point is that, either way, we're talking about a substantially bigger piece of property, for substantially more people. Whether it's 33% larger or 50% larger...it would still cost substantially more and require better egress and ingress routes to handle the larger crowds.

We can pick this back up when Beckham releases the location of his mystery parcel of land. I don't necessarily disagree with you that it could be apples and oranges if he skews toward the lower capacity figures. If he approaches the 30k mark though then it seems to be more about the surrounding infrastructure as an addl 5-7k seats on each side of a venue really wouldn't require much addl space. Nonetheless, let's see where he was able to grab land so quickly and promise no delays in finalizing the actual purchase of that land.

actually almost feel bad for beckham that he has to deal with our local politicians (until I realize the dude has everything any man could ever want).

Advertisement

actually almost feel bad for beckham that he has to deal with our local politicians (until I realize the dude has everything any man could ever want).

Exactly. It's like almost sympathizing with Brady because Goodell isn't on the up and up. Wait a second here, I'm not going to ever feel sorry for you!

Advertisement
Back