Njoku wants out of Cleveland

Advertisement
Good kid. I think he’s a perfect fit for Green Bay. I only hope he stays healthy. It’s tough playing from the doctors office. Second contracts are huge. Third contracts change families for generations. 🤞

"On June 15, 2017, the Cleveland Browns signed Njoku to a fully guaranteed, four-year, $9.52 million contract which included a signing bonus of $5.06 million."

You have one year left on a four-year guaranteed deal that was agreed upon. What happened to guys sticking to their word and playing out their contract, opposed to diva-like, "I want out of here immediately" behavior?
You do know that teams can cut players no matter how many years are left on their contracts and not pay them a dime of the remaining money? The day every team starts actually honoring every contract, I’ll agree with your statement

Advertisement
"On June 15, 2017, the Cleveland Browns signed Njoku to a fully guaranteed, four-year, $9.52 million contract which included a signing bonus of $5.06 million."

You have one year left on a four-year guaranteed deal that was agreed upon. What happened to guys sticking to their word and playing out their contract, opposed to diva-like, "I want out of here immediately" behavior?
I think you were more expressing a sentiment through a rhetorical question. Preemptive breaches of contract happen in every industry where contracts exist as a vehicle of employment.

So you’re only a fan of schools making millions off kids back who earn nothing to play that’s game

That's dumb as ****.

I'm so sick of this rubbish being repeated it isn't even funny.

You know what they get, a college degree. A degree they likely would never attain without relaxed admissions which in turn means they would be stuck at accept anyone CC or fly by night online courses at best. They get fed, housed, clothed, medical treatment, have fun on and off campus, all for playing a game we would love to play.

The best part, they leave without the burden of student loans. They have far better job prospects, providing they took their studies seriously, than if an athletic scholarship wasn't available.

Yes, some schools make a pretty penny. That is in turn dumped back into the school, rewarding future generations of students who will enjoy the process like they did. A lot of schools don't have been break even, more than those that do.

There is no correlation between the pros and college. The number of those who go onto professional sports making great money is a drop in the bucket compared to those who don't.

Last edited:
That's dumb as ****.

You know what they get, a college degree. A degree they likely would never attain without relaxed admissions which in turn means they would be stuck at accept anyone CC or fly by night online courses at best. They get fed, housed, clothed, medical treatment, have fun on and off campus, all for playing a game we would love to play.

The best part, they leave without the burden of student loans. They have far better job prospects, providing they took their studies seriously, than if an athletic scholarship wasn't available.

Yes, some schools make a pretty penny. That is in turn dumped back into the school, rewarding future generations of students who will enjoy the process like they did. A lot of schools don't have been break even, more than those that do.

There is no correlation between the pros and college. The number of those who go onto professional sports making great money is a drop in the bucket compared to those who don't.

Gross over-simplifications.

The NCAA is a non-profit. Emmert makes $3 million per year. The NFL is a non-profit. Goodell makes $35 million per year. Those two guys didn't build anything. People aren't going to games to watch those guys.

We can try to hype up the value of the scholarship, and we can talk about the size of player contract, while ignoring the fact that college players suffer career-ending injuries and that the NFL has the worst combination of non-guaranteed contracts and highest injury incidence rate.

Yes, people are given college scholarships based on potential, whether that is academic potential or athletic potential. But when I got an academic scholarship, I didn't have to split my time with untold hours of non-academic activities the way that athletes do. Yes, there are reduced entrance requirements, but there are still academic requirements that must be met. Athletes are not just handed a degree, and in some ways, there success is made more difficult because they have to go to classes with students who have stronger academic credentials than they do.

And stop acting like schools "dump back into the school". That money stays in athletics. And, sure, most schools would have a greater chance of "breaking even" if the NCAA would adopt a salary cap for coaches and ADs, but that's not going to happen. And don't yap about "coaching salaries being funded by shoe contracts", because that wouldn't even exist if not for the players.

Ultimately, the point is not that student-athletes get scholarships, it is the ongoing hypocrisy of EVERYONE BUT the players making a ton of money while there are hundreds of pages of NCAA rules that force the players to live a life of poverty.

And the NFL is just as bad, acting as if they cannot afford to guarantee contracts or pay more money for salaries while the league makes massive money every year and where even the LEAST valuable franchise (the Bills) is worth TWO BILLION.

Advertisement
Yes, both the NCAA and NFL are non-profit entities, but someone has to set rules and regulations at any level, so I'm not sure what your point is here. Whether it's little league, travel, or whatever there's a non-profit setting a standard to allow for play. Has anyone ever suggested that anyone is there at any sporting event to see a league official?

Emmert makes $6.50 per student athlete. Goddell makes $17,600 per NFL player. Huge difference there.

Try and hype a college scholarship, what? Just graduating opens doors that are closed for someone who didn't graduate. Most employers just want to know you graduated. A lot of our student athletes majors are a joke (besides getting in the door) and of little practical value in their field of study in the real world, that's on them though. T

Injuries happen in real life as well. Most aren't debilitating and those injured often are allowed to finish their degree for free.

I was a scholarship athlete as well. I wouldn't say my path was more difficult at all. I would also say the mandatory study halls with tutors there were critical for a lot of my teammates getting through school. Without them being pushed, I doubt many would have stayed academically eligible, some didn't still. This is also time that most college students would be using to do what they're doing in the mandatory study hall, study. So it isn't like they're losing time other students would have to do whatever the heck they like.

Sure, there are other things you're forced to attend, but again I feel like that's not necessarily a bad thing. Keeps you on point, out of trouble, etc. You still have free time in any event.

Yes, athletic money is earmarked for athletics. That doesn't include all merchandise sales and general donations that tend to go up when a team is good. The university owns that logo.

None of it would exist without the athletes. Then again, the athletes would be sitting at home wondering what they're going to do with their life while working some minimum wage job. Some may do better than that, but most wouldn't.

As for living a life of poverty, welcome to student life for a ton of college students. At least the athletes get quality food and aren't stuck with an endless supply if Ramen as their largest food group. The average student is struggling more than the average athlete for sure. Some are working a job or two to afford housing, coat of tutition, and all the normal things people use.

I felt fortunate to have a scholarship. Now it just seems like nothing is ever good enough for people anymore. What were your prospects in life if not for your scholarship?

Advertisement
Yes, both the NCAA and NFL are non-profit entities, but someone has to set rules and regulations at any level, so I'm not sure what your point is here. Whether it's little league, travel, or whatever there's a non-profit setting a standard to allow for play. Has anyone ever suggested that anyone is there at any sporting event to see a league official?

Emmert makes $6.50 per student athlete. Goddell makes $17,600 per NFL player. Huge difference there.

Try and hype a college scholarship, what? Just graduating opens doors that are closed for someone who didn't graduate. Most employers just want to know you graduated. A lot of our student athletes majors are a joke (besides getting in the door) and of little practical value in their field of study in the real world, that's on them though. T

Injuries happen in real life as well. Most aren't debilitating and those injured often are allowed to finish their degree for free.

I was a scholarship athlete as well. I wouldn't say my path was more difficult at all. I would also say the mandatory study halls with tutors there were critical for a lot of my teammates getting through school. Without them being pushed, I doubt many would have stayed academically eligible, some didn't still. This is also time that most college students would be using to do what they're doing in the mandatory study hall, study. So it isn't like they're losing time other students would have to do whatever the heck they like.

Sure, there are other things you're forced to attend, but again I feel like that's not necessarily a bad thing. Keeps you on point, out of trouble, etc. You still have free time in any event.

Yes, athletic money is earmarked for athletics. That doesn't include all merchandise sales and general donations that tend to go up when a team is good. The university owns that logo.

None of it would exist without the athletes. Then again, the athletes would be sitting at home wondering what they're going to do with their life while working some minimum wage job. Some may do better than that, but most wouldn't.

As for living a life of poverty, welcome to student life for a ton of college students. At least the athletes get quality food and aren't stuck with an endless supply if Ramen as their largest food group. The average student is struggling more than the average athlete for sure. Some are working a job or two to afford housing, coat of tutition, and all the normal things people use.

I felt fortunate to have a scholarship. Now it just seems like nothing is ever good enough for people anymore. What were your prospects in life if not for your scholarship?

I honestly don't understand the line of "well unlike regular students they have to balance the sports aspect"

Well no **** and unlike the regular student they aren't leaving school with 200k+ debt so doing a little football for about 4-5 months should be worth the 200k saved on top of the study hall tutors, on top of having first pick of classes, etc.

I was fortunate to have a full athletic scholarship and would never trade it to be a "regular student" because the positives heavily outweigh the negatives.

Arizona would be another good spot for Njoku. Murray is an upgrade to Mayfield and I don’t think they have a decent TE.

That’s your opinion. The original comment didn’t compare South Florida and Cleveland, you created that.
I’ve lived in Cleveland (the place actually mentioned) for 41 years and I know the culture and sentiment of most Clevelanders from first hand experience. I’ve been to South Florida 11 times and wouldn’t want to live there, but I do enjoy visiting and vacationing. After a week or two I have no regrets or issues with coming home.
I actually loved Downtown Cleveland when I visited a few years back. I got some angry comments while wearing some Dodger gear, but it was all in fun. Plus I was wearing that gear during the MLB playoffs when Cleveland played the Yankees lmao.

Advertisement
I actually loved Downtown Cleveland when I visited a few years back. I got some angry comments while wearing some Dodger gear, but it was all in fun. Plus I was wearing that gear during the MLB playoffs when Cleveland played the Yankees lmao.
Downtown Cleveland is cool... the 99% of the rest of Cleveland?

Attachments

• giphy.gif
    giphy.gif
    784.1 KB · Views: 0
That's dumb as ****.

you’re apart of the problem

Advertisement
Back