NJIT vs Miami

Advertisement
Yes he liked to go one on one too much and he would have too many off games where he'd go like 1-8 or 1-10 but his teammates picked up.

Now when Wong was on, he was on. I really felt that Miller was our best player last year but if Cleveland could come close to replicating what Jordan did then we are in business.
I interested to see who will be the creator type that can finish but also run the pick in roll and dish the ball to open shooters without getting smothered or losing their handle..

I interested to see who will be the creator type that can finish but also run the pick in roll and dish the ball to open shooters without getting smothered or losing their handle..
I noticed Pack was more aggressive getting to the bucket yesterday. He had some success doing that last year. I just like how deep this team could be.

Last year wasn’t the case. Beverly, Casey, and Walker provided very little. Joseph was basically the only guy off the bench providing something.

I noticed Pack was more aggressive getting to the bucket yesterday. He had some success doing that last year. I just like how deep this team could be.

Last year wasn’t the case. Beverly, Casey, and Walker provided very little. Joseph was basically the only guy off the bench providing something.
Much deeper, much improved length and athleticism also on the wings. I think that hurt big time in bigger games in tourney last couple years.. I actually liked what I saw out of Jakai too, I think if he got more PT he could help, he has good size and seemed to play at good speed with handle.. We are definitely deeper this year..

Advertisement
I think u need a eong type in certain games, when things get tight and u need a bucket, u can dump it off to him and let him go.. that happened in tourney a few times where we rode him multiple trips down.. gonna be determined who will be that guy..and who can get it done in teeth of a defense built to stop them..

If Wooga’s handle is up to it, he will definitely be that guy. With his pull up J - IF his handle is up to it - teams will have to sell out to double him and somebody will be open. Otherwise he has the length and athleticism to drive and finish or shoot over his defender.

If Wooga’s handle isn’t quite there, I suspect Pack will be the guy… but I’m hoping it’s Wooga because I’m still not sold on Pack’s ability to finish drives through the trees.

Edit: that being said, Wooga, Cleveland, and Omier all look like they can put the ball on the court and get to the rim. Hopefully we have fewer games decided on the last possession this year so we are a little less reliant on end game heroics… but obviously we will need some of that to contend.

Last edited:
ESPN is an actual joke at this point. These writers don't watch games.

Agreed. I read the Jay Bilas thing where he gave his rankings and had us at 21(!) and when I read his reasoning he wrote: “Miami might not have the depth and size of its first-ever Final Four squad,” I realized, oh, he doesn’t actually know anything about us. No depth and size of last year’s team? This team might be deeper and bigger than last year’s team, no?

It was nice to learn I could just rest whatever part of my brain that would try to actually pay attention to anything Jay Bilas had to say about us for a bit.

Agreed. I read the Jay Bilas thing where he gave his rankings and had us at 21(!) and when I read his reasoning he wrote: “Miami might not have the depth and size of its first-ever Final Four squad,” I realized, oh, he doesn’t actually know anything about us. No depth and size of last year’s team? This team might be deeper and bigger than last year’s team, no?

It was nice to learn I could just rest whatever part of my brain that would try to actually pay attention to anything Jay Bilas had to say about us for a bit.

Bilas is an idiot. Maybe that’s too harsh but he consistently spews awful, awful takes.

If Wooga’s handle is up to it, he will definitely be that guy. With his pull up J - IF his handle is up to it - teams will have to sell out to double him and somebody will be open. Otherwise he has the length and athleticism to drive and finish or shoot over his defender.

If Wooga’s handle isn’t quite there, I suspect Pack will be the guy… but I’m hoping it’s Wooga because I’m still not sold on Pack’s ability to finish drives through the trees.

Edit: that being said, Wooga, Cleveland, and Omier all look like they can put the ball on the court and get to the rim. Hopefully we have fewer games decided on the last possession this year so we are a little less reliant on end game heroics… but obviously we will need some of that to contend.
10 seconds to go in the game, we're down 2, who's gonna be the MAN this year? Last year, that guy was Wong.

Advertisement
Kinda nitpicky that a walk-on freshman wasn't into it on the bench enough but usually those guys have the most spirit. Maybe his girl just dumped him or something.
Agreed. Team looked so good last night that I had to nitpick about the negatives. However, it had to be pretty glaring for me to mention it. Young man has got to do better. I know for a fact Coach L and staff talks to the team about supporting each other and celebrating each other's successes. GO CANES!!

Can't stand hearing his brutal commentary. I dread listening to him when he does Miami games.
I mean the size thing is totally wrong obviously, but lack of proven depth is a legit concern with this team, there is not a single player on the bench who really has contributed meaningfully.

Advertisement
10 seconds to go in the game, we're down 2, who's gonna be the MAN this year? Last year, that guy was Wong.
I think it will be more situational this year. I think we have more options this year and we will see even better ball movement as the season progresses. If Norchad can put the ball on the floor against better teams, that creates a whole new universe of options.

For the scenario of down 2 with under 10 seconds my guess is Wooga… but more time than that and I think (hope) there’s less iso and hero ball and more ball movement to create a final shot/drive.

View attachment 264855View attachment 264854
1699381874781.png

I mean the size thing is totally wrong obviously, but lack of proven depth is a legit concern with this team, there is not a single player on the bench who really has contributed meaningfully.

We had literally no proven depth last year whatsoever. Bens showed the most promise, but neither Bev nor Walker were in the universe of proven. The rest were freshman.

These freshman are at a different level than last year, and I feel good about the sophomores making a nice step forward.

Sure we don’t have super seasoned depth, but few teams do and I sure like what we’ve got.

Advertisement
We had literally no proven depth last year whatsoever. Bens showed the most promise, but neither Bev nor Walker were in the universe of proven. The rest were freshman.

These freshman are at a different level than last year, and I feel good about the sophomores making a nice step forward.

Sure we don’t have super seasoned depth, but few teams do and I sure like what we’ve got.
I agree with you that last year (and the previous year) we both succeeded with very little depth. And I don't necessary disagree with you that this year's group has more potential... but we are playing with fire on this run of success hoping that we don't have a significant injury or two. Considering our recent success as a program I would have hoped we could build a little more depth through the portal, to not result in one significant injury completing derailing the season (which has been a constant threat the last 2 years, and continues to be a threat this year).

we can really run. If Omier is going to be out there taking dudes off the dribble and running fast breaks it’s going to be a helluva season

Our main guys off the bench are two sophs and two freshmen. And I feel so much better about them then I did with Walker and Beverly who were in the program for 4 years.

Advertisement
Back