NJIT vs Miami

I agree with you that last year (and the previous year) we both succeeded with very little depth. And I don't necessary disagree with you that this year's group has more potential... but we are playing with fire on this run of success hoping that we don't have a significant injury or two. Considering our recent success as a program I would have hoped we could build a little more depth through the portal, to not result in one significant injury completing derailing the season (which has been a constant threat the last 2 years, and continues to be a threat this year).

There’s nobody who we could have brought in who would have been willing come in as a depth piece but also be able to fill a spot better than our current reserves.

Sure it would have been great if we could have brought in a starting caliber player to be a 6th or 7th man… but that simply did not exist.

Although we may have two guys currently on the roster who could fit that description by late winter.

Advertisement
There’s nobody who we could have brought in who would have been willing come in as a depth piece but also be able to fill a spot better than our current reserves.

Sure it would have been great if we could have brought in a starting caliber player to be a 6th or 7th man… but that simply did not exist.

Although we may have two guys currently on the roster who could fit that description by late winter.

I have to imagine this is the reason we missed on a guy like Cam Spencer. Larranaga was not willing to hand him a starting place over Bensley who appears to be shooting the 3 just as well as Cam might be able to.

Larranaga did about as well as we possibly could have getting guys like Nwoko and George who will be very, very solid rotational players by January. In the mean time, we also have experienced players in Casey and Watson coming in who will also only get better as the season goes on.

Bilas is an idiot. Maybe that’s too harsh but he consistently spews awful, awful takes.
I wouldn’t get too caught up on what the national pundits say about the Miami program, because they're usually wrong. We keep winning and they'll have no choice but to come around.
I mean the size thing is totally wrong obviously, but lack of proven depth is a legit concern with this team, there is not a single player on the bench who really has contributed meaningfully.
You make a valid point on our team’s depth issue. However, be as it may I’d venture to say there are 2-3 players on our bench who’d probably start on many other P5 programs, including some in the ACC.

As far as our size, we’re not a big team inside. We may be long on the perimeter but we’ve only got 1 guy over 6’9” and a legit big, who also happens to be a true freshmen.

Advertisement
That’s why he’s no longer on the roster. L told him the truth that he didn’t want to hear.

On a different note, Watson has some serious tools. He showed some toughness tonight too. If he can keep the intensity but calm down and play within himself I think he can be a really good one.
Watson needs minutes.

I have to imagine this is the reason we missed on a guy like Cam Spencer. Larranaga was not willing to hand him a starting place over Bensley who appears to be shooting the 3 just as well as Cam might be able to.

Larranaga did about as well as we possibly could have getting guys like Nwoko and George who will be very, very solid rotational players by January. In the mean time, we also have experienced players in Casey and Watson coming in who will also only get better as the season goes on.
Plus, Benz is really popular with his teammates and his intensity and effort is unmatched. Larranaga and his staff do an excellent job spotting kids who fit well within our system and have the right chemistry. Cleveland is a perfect example. Our system was made for this kid to excel.

It's kinda weird, those two. Cleveland is more athletic, but Miller was more versatile. You'd think the more athletic one would also be the more versatile one.
Well, Cleveland is better than the 2021/2022 Miller edition. Cleveland will be better on the glass than the 2022/2023 Miller edition. He doesn't have to give us 15 per game, but I'd suspect he'll be around 13.

Watson needs minutes.

I’m a huge Watson fan - and I think so is Coach. The issue is Watson isn’t good enough right now to be a primary scoring option on this team, so Coach needs Watson to embrace defense and rebounding and play within the system offensively… but I think Watson struggled a little to embrace that last year.

I loved his hustle last night and I think if he can just settle down and channel his inner Keyshawn George on the offensive side (work hard off the ball, make the next pass, etc) he will be an impact player.

Advertisement
I’m a huge Watson fan - and I think so is Coach. The issue is Watson isn’t good enough right now to be a primary scoring option on this team, so Coach needs Watson to embrace defense and rebounding and play within the system offensively… but I think Watson struggled a little to embrace that last year.

I loved his hustle last night and I think if he can just settle down and channel his inner Keyshawn George on the offensive side (work hard off the ball, make the next pass, etc) he will be an impact player.
Well, that gets him on the floor. If not, then he will get limited minutes. I liked what I saw out of Robinson and he'll take Watson's minutes. Robinson hustled in his 6 minutes. 2 boards, 1 steal and 1 blocked shot.

I think it will be more situational this year. I think we have more options this year and we will see even better ball movement as the season progresses. If Norchad can put the ball on the floor against better teams, that creates a whole new universe of options.

For the scenario of down 2 with under 10 seconds my guess is Wooga… but more time than that and I think (hope) there’s less iso and hero ball and more ball movement to create a final shot/drive.
Wong was the guy last year. Mainly because he was really the only one who had the handle to get the ball to the rack with any consistency, in a situation where the opposition was gonna close out quickly.

Bensley had a good handle and could get it inside but ... then what? He either turned it over, or ate leather on an attempted layup. We'll see if Wooga has enough handle not to get the ball knocked away or tied up if he goes hard to the rim in a critical situation. Pack has possibilities but ... is he strong enough body-wise to maneuver against a packed in D, while being manhandled?

Well, Cleveland is better than the 2021/2022 Miller edition. Cleveland will be better on the glass than the 2022/2023 Miller edition. He doesn't have to give us 15 per game, but I'd suspect he'll be around 13.
Hope you didn’t take my comment as a slight on Cleveland. I think Matt has the potential to end up being better than any Miller edition. Tall order but it’s possible. Matt being less versatile does not mean he won’t be more productive.

Advertisement

Watson has to keep developing. His physical attributes show NBA potential but his offensive game needs work. Needs to buy in on the defensive end to earn PT. Different position but very similar to what we saw from Joseph last 2 years

Wong was the guy last year. Mainly because he was really the only one who had the handle to get the ball to the rack with any consistency, in a situation where the opposition was gonna close out quickly.

Bensley had a good handle and could get it inside but ... then what? He either turned it over, or ate leather on an attempted layup. We'll see if Wooga has enough handle not to get the ball knocked away or tied up if he goes hard to the rim in a critical situation. Pack has possibilities but ... is he strong enough body-wise to maneuver against a packed in D, while being manhandled?
This is exactly the point I was tryna make, you said it better than me.. All the pieces are there but who is gonna be that guy you can just clear out and know they will make a good decision and make the defense pay no matter what..

This video does a decent breakdown of sequence where Wong struggled in the game had 6 points up to this point but Coach L went to him when it counted with season on line down 10 points.. Obviously there are many ways to win but it will be fun to see who is gonna be that guy this year

Advertisement
More athletic but not as skilled right now. Miller could create shots from almost anywhere on the court.
Cleveland is a very good defender and great in the open court
Plus Miller had goto moves for certain situations that he could depend on, allowed him to thrive on big or small defenders

Advertisement
Back