NILs for Baseball

Canesfreak

The Sponsor
Our law firm just did a NIL with Blake Cyr, not huge, but meaningful because these are college baseball players and every little bit helps. His agent, Willie Bosque, is a former Cane player (didn't play much due to a bad shoulder injury). Great guy who told me Miami's NIL game is horrible. He has a player at Wake, and he said the starters almost all have NIL agreements (none large, all small mom and pop businesses, etc.). Miami had a total of 6 players last year with NIL agreements, and I'm not sure any (aside from Cyr) have agreements going into 2024. Moral of the story is, buck up guys. It's not hard and it means alot to these kids.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Our law firm just did a NIL with Blake Cyr, not huge, but meaningful because these are college baseball players and every little bit helps. His agent, Willie Bosque, is a former Cane player (didn't play much due to a bad shoulder injury). Great guy who told me Miami's NIL game is horrible. He has a player at Wake, and he said the starters almost all have NIL agreements (none large, all small mom and pop businesses, etc.). Miami had a total of 6 players last year with NIL agreements, and I'm not sure any (aside from Cyr) have agreements going into 2024. Moral of the story is, buck up guys. It's not hard and it means alot to these kids.
Makes me feel even better about the J.D. hire.
Sorry curious……Are NIL opportunities something that’s a teams job to work on obtaining or is it a player/agent thing ?

Sorry curious……Are NIL opportunities something that’s a teams job to work on obtaining or is it a player/agent thing ?
NOOO. UM cannot be involved at all. They cannot facilitate it or be involved. Once the agreement is reached, the NIL agreement/terms are reviewed by compliance as are any edits that the student-athlete posts in social media. If they attend events for the sponsor, they cannot wear any UM stuff. Again, even small amounts matter to these kids.

I contacted Cyr through Javi, who reached out to YoYo, who got me his #. Then he directed me to his agent. .

90% of the country will have minimal NIL’s beyond bball and football. And even the ones who do another chunk of them it will not be over the top. Lsu and a few other schools are spending on some top tier guys but beyond that they are keeping guys happy.

But locking in a few NIL deals to keep players happy who are here would be good and maybe the occasional larger offer to sway a HS draft pick who is on the fence. It really isn’t an over the top dollar figure. And I’d expect much like other sports the numbers to come more and more back to earth over the years.

Advertisement
90% of the country will have minimal NIL’s beyond bball and football. And even the ones who do another chunk of them it will not be over the top. Lsu and a few other schools are spending on some top tier guys but beyond that they are keeping guys happy.

But locking in a few NIL deals to keep players happy who are here would be good and maybe the occasional larger offer to sway a HS draft pick who is on the fence. It really isn’t an over the top dollar figure. And I’d expect much like other sports the numbers to come more and more back to earth over the years.
100%. A few grand a year for these kids means the world. And Cyr was hearing from UF, South Carolina, etc. No bidding war - he loves Miami. I wanted to do this because kids like him deserve a little love.

****, so makes our situation even harder to swallow. Sounds like it wouldnt even take much to get baseball into top nil program in the country. Yet here we are.

****, so makes our situation even harder to swallow. Sounds like it wouldnt even take much to get baseball into top nil program in the country. Yet here we are.
The thing is, people don't realize (1) how easy it is and (2) how little people need to give to make a difference. This isn't football where top players are taking down 6 figures. From what I learned from the agent, most of these kids aren't even getting low 5 digits, and that is even in the SEC. I'm going to try and reach out to the Big Cheese, AllCanes, Gerard Loisel Marine Biology Camp, etc. Instead of throwing so much money for advertising with WVUM, take a few bucks and do small NILs with the players. The collective is going to get there - they are - but they aren't there yet, as the focus is on football and to a lesser extent basketball.

Advertisement

Wait, wait, wait, I thought @Pitcher in the Rye convinced us that every UM baseball player had an NIL deal on Opendorse, and that @canesstevealum08 had lied to us about Gino not allowing NIL deals as a part of recruitment...

Soooo...looks like @canesstevealum08 was right...and @Pitcher in the Rye was wrong...as usual...

@Canesfreak

What can we do help?

Depends on the situation.

If you have a local business like @Canesfreak does, then pick a player and do an NIL deal with him.

As far as taking "collective" action that is targeted to smaller dollar amounts than are paid to football/basketball players, I think a few people have been discussing whether a smaller organization could bundle smaller donations and apply the money more productively to baseball.

I'm not sure that the current UM collective(s) have focused on the needs of baseball. And/or whether our coaching staff has been amenable to such support.

And in the meantime, lobby your state congresspersons, state senators, and/or the governor himself to have anothe special session to amend the Florida NIL law to match what Texas allows. Oh, and tell your local politicians that you are a Florida or Florida State grad, they are more likely to listen.

As @Canesfreak points out, offering NIL deals in Florida requires a bit more dancing and coordination.

Depends on the situation.

If you have a local business like @Canesfreak does, then pick a player and do an NIL deal with him.

As far as taking "collective" action that is targeted to smaller dollar amounts than are paid to football/basketball players, I think a few people have been discussing whether a smaller organization could bundle smaller donations and apply the money more productively to baseball.

I'm not sure that the current UM collective(s) have focused on the needs of baseball. And/or whether our coaching staff has been amenable to such support.

And in the meantime, lobby your state congresspersons, state senators, and/or the governor himself to have anothe special session to amend the Florida NIL law to match what Texas allows. Oh, and tell your local politicians that you are a Florida or Florida State grad, they are more likely to listen.

As @Canesfreak points out, offering NIL deals in Florida requires a bit more dancing and coordination.
I have the template and will be happy to help draft the agreement pro bono for anyone who is interested. I have the one I used for Brashard and Cyr. Just DM me.

Advertisement
Wait, wait, wait, I thought @Pitcher in the Rye convinced us that every UM baseball player had an NIL deal on Opendorse, and that @canesstevealum08 had lied to us about Gino not allowing NIL deals as a part of recruitment...

Soooo...looks like @canesstevealum08 was right...and @Pitcher in the Rye was wrong...as usual...
Err not quite. It's amazing that UM allowed you to graduate law school. Quite the indictment of the school if it produces shysters like yourself. All Steven said was the Gino forbade NIL deals. I disabused you and him of that notion by pointing out not just Opendorse but Life Wallet deals existed. It doesn't matter one iota if there was one deal or 35, if they were for a song or a monster Barstool Sports-Tommy Tanks deal. I also explained that NIL deals are a function of market forces: that is a NIL sponsor has to be willing to enter into an agreement either for marketing benefits or just altruism. They're not just given out like sunflower seeds to every player.

What's really funny is that you've tried to convince the board you're some campus NIL maven- leading fresh-faced recruits around campus spinning tales of NIL riches to them. You didn't even know those baseball NIL deals existed and you didn't know the HC couldn't broker those deals. Fraud alert. The only one getting led around campus was you by that germaphobe Frenk with a dog collar and a gag ball in your mouth.

I know how much you're fragile ego is tied to this board- hence declaring victory when facts and figures have already put you on life support,- so I'll be merciful and administer the coup de grace to our favorite pettifogger.

In 365 days:
12 draft picks
6 commits drafted
3 MLB free agent signings
16th ranked draft class in '23
1 defeated mythomaniac

But..but...the 11.7 scholarships, brah.....

Err not quite. It's amazing that UM allowed you to graduate law school. Quite the indictment of the school if it produces shysters like yourself. All Steven said was the Gino forbade NIL deals. I disabused you and him of that notion by pointing out not just Opendorse but Life Wallet deals existed. It doesn't matter one iota if there was one deal or 35, if they were for a song or a monster Barstool Sports-Tommy Tanks deal. I also explained that NIL deals are a function of market forces: that is a NIL sponsor has to be willing to enter into an agreement either for marketing benefits or just altruism. They're not just given out like sunflower seeds to every player.

What's really funny is that you've tried to convince the board you're some campus NIL maven- leading fresh-faced recruits around campus spinning tales of NIL riches to them. You didn't even know those baseball NIL deals existed and you didn't know the HC couldn't broker those deals. Fraud alert. The only one getting led around campus was you by that germaphobe Frenk with a dog collar and a gag ball in your mouth.

I know how much you're fragile ego is tied to this board- hence declaring victory when facts and figures have already put you on life support,- so I'll be merciful and administer the coup de grace to our favorite pettifogger.

In 365 days:
12 draft picks
6 commits drafted
1 defeated mythomaniac

@PIPO

I think we have a showdown… on the baseball board….

@PIPO

I think we have a showdown… on the baseball board….

Spying Peeping Tom GIF by 20th Century Fox Home Entertainment

Advertisement

In 365 days:
12 draft picks
6 commits drafted
1 defeated mythomaniac

Wow Excited GIF by Steve Harvey TV

Even though it involves TOC, whom has honorary Showdown status without having to post one …. Yesssss….. I will since it’s on the baseball board….

EDA785B3-C5B9-4551-AE19-1A4E282EEA6A.gif

see if you can’t drum up one for Cuvet…hopefully he hits 15-18 jacks this year and we will prob have to hold onto him if that happens and we have a so-so record.

Advertisement
Back