NIL and Federal Regulations

Hoyacane1620

All American
Premium

“College leaders are gearing up to issue a warning to hundreds of wealthy boosters who are using name, image and likeness (NIL) ventures to involve themselves in recruiting,” SI's Ross Dellenger wrote Wednesday. “University administrators, part of a task force to review NIL, are finalizing additional guidelines that are expected to clarify that boosters and booster-led collectives are prohibited from involvement in recruiting, multiple sources tell Sports Illustrated.

“The guidelines will provide more guidance to member schools on what many administrators say are NIL-disguised ‘pay for play’ deals orchestrated by donors to induce prospects, recruit players off other college teams and retain their own athletes.”

Dellenger also cited a source saying things are getting “out of hand” regarding NIL and the transfer portal in college athletics. NIL collectives have become a staple of the new landscape in collegiate athletics, and the sense is boosters are getting too involved with recruiting. In fact, some argue they shouldn’t be involved in recruiting at all.

Advertisement
If I'm a businessman - with buttloads of money - I shouldn't be prohibited with contacting anyone I wish for possible marketing purposes. "Come to MY city, you already have a marketing value - and it will be beneficial to both of us. You're going to get a lot of love locally, and your name will assist in my marketing."

Now if it happens that this person is also a potential recruit - that's between the University and student. The NIL is between the athlete and ME. Two separate things.

They can't prohibit lawful, mutually beneficial business arrangements.

But they CAN prohibit fund raising to bribe student athletes to attend a specific school.

That's unlawful.

“College leaders are gearing up to issue a warning to hundreds of wealthy boosters who are using name, image and likeness (NIL) ventures to involve themselves in recruiting,” SI's Ross Dellenger wrote Wednesday. “University administrators, part of a task force to review NIL, are finalizing additional guidelines that are expected to clarify that boosters and booster-led collectives are prohibited from involvement in recruiting, multiple sources tell Sports Illustrated.

“The guidelines will provide more guidance to member schools on what many administrators say are NIL-disguised ‘pay for play’ deals orchestrated by donors to induce prospects, recruit players off other college teams and retain their own athletes.”

Dellenger also cited a source saying things are getting “out of hand” regarding NIL and the transfer portal in college athletics. NIL collectives have become a staple of the new landscape in collegiate athletics, and the sense is boosters are getting too involved with recruiting. In fact, some argue they shouldn’t be involved in recruiting at all.

Surprised by Pac 12, not surprised at all by SEC.

SEC fears, terrified probably, of long term NIL consequences. They just don't have the local/regional demos for it.

Advertisement
“I know what will solve this…the government!”

- No one ever
Futurama Squinting GIF

This bunch of thumb sucking morons who collectively drug their feet on player compensation for a hundred years and waited until AFTER the highest court in the land body checked them into the boards so hard they spent two years in a coma are now gonna try and put the toothpaste back in the tube by PETITIONING CONGRESS?

The Office What GIF

Advertisement
Surprised by Pac 12, not surprised at all by SEC.

SEC fears, terrified probably, of long term NIL consequences. They just don't have the local/regional demos for it.
The SEC going to Congress on this is probably the 2nd best recruiting gift we're ever going to get. All I would say to a recruit "They're afraid of what we can do with a level or better playing field" . And I would be 100% correct. The SEC bag game was basically crowd sourcing. Now, they have to go up against an actual business with replenishing funds yearly. They wouldn't be able to keep up. Then what happens to their TV contracts? They are smart to try to get ahead of this, but it's probably too late. These kids are going to know UM has LW rather UM uses it to induce recruits or not.

If you’re to put regulations on the NIL then the government should do the same to College Football. Can’t have it both ways.

Advertisement
The SEC going to Congress on this is probably the 2nd best recruiting gift we're ever going to get. All I would say to a recruit "They're afraid of what we can do with a level or better playing field" . And I would be 100% correct. The SEC bag game was basically crowd sourcing. Now, they have to go up against an actual business with replenishing funds yearly. They wouldn't be able to keep up. Then what happens to their TV contracts? They are smart to try to get ahead of this, but it's probably too late. These kids are going to know UM has LW rather UM uses it to induce recruits or not.
I'm not saying this will happen, but don't be surprised if one of USC, UCLA, SMU, TCU, and/or Houston rise to power over the next decade.

Possibly a Rutgers or Maryland as well.

Texas and TAMU are likely headed to juggernaught status (although we can't discount people's ability to ***** things up).

My UNC friends are telling me the TarHeels are giving a vibe right now of not joining the NIL arms race.

I also believe there isn't enough economic activity in Alabama for both Auburn and Bama to remain NIL elite.

Time will tell.....

Last edited:
So assuming they can muster the votes or concern, they will draft legislation that has to comply with the SC decision and we are back at the same place. Absolute incompetence of the highest level.

Remember when people thought NIL deals were just going to “open the flood gates for bag schools”? I told everyone then and I’m telling you now, those gates have been opened for decades. NIL opened the floodgates for everyone else who wasn’t allowed to drop bags. A lot of the prominent bag droppers can’t keep up. So now they’re begging the government to change the rules back. The SEC is leading the pack because outside the Texas schools and probably Arkansas, they don’t have the ammunition to keep pace financially. Alabama doesn’t have this secret war chest that they’ve been holding back on for all these years.

And yes, players attending schools in bigger metro areas will have more NIL opportunities than ones attending schools in middle of nowhere college towns.

Advertisement
Remember when people thought NIL deals were just going to “open the flood gates for bag schools”? I told everyone then and I’m telling you now, those gates have been opened for decades. NIL opened the floodgates for everyone else who wasn’t allowed to drop bags. A lot of the prominent bag droppers can’t keep up. So now they’re begging the government to change the rules back. The SEC is leading the pack because outside the Texas schools and probably Arkansas, they don’t have the ammunition to keep pace financially. Alabama doesn’t have this secret war chest that they’ve been holding back on for all these years.

And yes, players attending schools in bigger metro areas will have more NIL opportunities than ones attending schools in middle of nowhere college towns.
I would argue TN is the biggest threat from the SEC.

Advertisement
Back