NIL and Federal Regulations

Advertisement
Leave my bag man alone and regulate legit businessmen.

A legit business with an actual product to promote that can make money for the guy promoting it as well as the business itself.

Yeah! let’s regulate that. But let’s not regulate illegal payments, snitching on other schools not in the sec, threatening recruits with their careers if they don’t commit, etc. etc.
let’s not touch any of that. Let’s not touch any of the money being handed out to local high school coaches, seven on seven coaches, all the cars being bought, yeah let’s not regulate any of that,

Let’s regulate Sosa going on Twitter saying how awesome his product is and how it will benefit the consumer who has it.

NIL collectives (crowd sourcing) we’re awesome when the vols landed Nico and tamu paying for the entire 2 deep in the trenches.

We make some noise and sosa goes on Twitter and it’s burn the whole thing down!!!

Advertisement
“I know what will solve this…the government!”

- No one ever
"I'm from the government, and I'm here to help"
christmas vacation GIF

Last edited:
Remember when people thought NIL deals were just going to “open the flood gates for bag schools”? I told everyone then and I’m telling you now, those gates have been opened for decades. NIL opened the floodgates for everyone else who wasn’t allowed to drop bags. A lot of the prominent bag droppers can’t keep up. So now they’re begging the government to change the rules back. The SEC is leading the pack because outside the Texas schools and probably Arkansas, they don’t have the ammunition to keep pace financially. Alabama doesn’t have this secret war chest that they’ve been holding back on for all these years.

And yes, players attending schools in bigger metro areas will have more NIL opportunities than ones attending schools in middle of nowhere college towns.
Yep, we give a recruit $10 and it's the death penalty. SEC running wild with bags with no consequences for years. That's why I'll never call Saban the goat. He's had the best team money can buy for a decade now.

Advertisement
Vandy isnt in a recruiting hotbed like Miami.
but Vandy has:
- Nashville business
- Billionaire backers

A school doesnt have to be in a talent hotbed to be competitive. Also, demographic trends are catching South Florida.

So assuming they can muster the votes or concern, they will draft legislation that has to comply with the SC decision and we are back at the same place. Absolute incompetence of the highest level.
yes and no. The Supreme Court decided that people have a right to profit off NIL.
Any effort to limit that at the state or federal level will be challenged in court as unconstitutional.
I hope these lawmakers don’t take the bait on this because the Supreme Court will make them look bad once they strike down the law.

Remember when people thought NIL deals were just going to “open the flood gates for bag schools”? I told everyone then and I’m telling you now, those gates have been opened for decades. NIL opened the floodgates for everyone else who wasn’t allowed to drop bags. A lot of the prominent bag droppers can’t keep up. So now they’re begging the government to change the rules back. The SEC is leading the pack because outside the Texas schools and probably Arkansas, they don’t have the ammunition to keep pace financially. Alabama doesn’t have this secret war chest that they’ve been holding back on for all these years.

And yes, players attending schools in bigger metro areas will have more NIL opportunities than ones attending schools in middle of nowhere college towns.

Yeah there's no way even a BAMA could keep pace (for very long) with a big corporation. Even with their deep booster pockets, there are no major marketing opportunities in Tuscaloosa.

yes and no. The Supreme Court decided that people have a right to profit off NIL.
Any effort to limit that at the state or federal level will be challenged in court as unconstitutional.
I hope these lawmakers don’t take the bait on this because the Supreme Court will make them look bad once they strike down the law.
Right... I should have said they can pass what they want, but it will be challenged and stuck in the courts for years and ultimately can't limit or go against that decision.

Advertisement
The hate from seeing these student athletes being compensated is real. It’s eating them up from the inside. You hearing phrases like ‘arms race’ attached to these kids, but when coaches are signing these INSANE AND OUT OF CONTROL CONTRACTS that’s okay.

Put a cap on coaches salaries or STFU! IMO

Right... I should have said they can pass what they want, but it will be challenged and stuck in the courts for years and ultimately can't limit or go against that decision.
Yep. And your point is correct that this will be stuck in the courts for years because it will ultimately be appealed to the Supreme Court by the losing side.

I heard an attorney make a great point yesterday about how stupid the NCAA lawyers are. Which we should always remember.
Had the NCAA not appealed their challenge to Cali’s NIL law, which is what NIL was even in court, then the federal decision would only have applied to Cali schools as it was California state law. But by appealing the decision to the Supreme Court, once that decision was handed down it became the law of the land and was not confined to a single state.
Imagine those same ******* lawyers dealing with this.

Yeah there's no way even a BAMA could keep pace (for very long) with a big corporation. Even with their deep booster pockets, there are no major marketing opportunities in Tuscaloosa.
I mean, it's not like they're broke. They're still getting dudes. It's just that people thought they had this huge bag fund and they were holding back for all these years (for no reason) and that once NIL regulation passed, they were going to unleash the full power of their bags. Nah man. They haven't been holding back all these years. Their cash ceiling is just lower than a bunch of other schools now so all of the sudden the integrity of the game means so much to them. Leased chargers and a duffle bag with $20 grand isn't good enough anymore.

Advertisement

Actually, this did not happen quite that way.

The Alston case involved a limitation on payment for education-related benefits. The case opened the door to schools giving more money under the financial aid packages, and doing things like the "academic achievement" monetary awards.

But Alston did NOT address NIL, though the court signalled that it could happen as well.

The NCAA then VOLUNTARILY adopted the minimal NIL rules that they did. NIL has not been challenged yet.

If the NCAA is smart, they will design the "new rules" to surgically attack boosters, as they have decades worth of rule-making and enforcement that has gone after booster activity.

That way, even if the NCAA gets sued...(a) it will take years to get back to the Supreme Court, and (b) the NCAA can say "no, we aren't prohibiting NIL, ****, we even voluntarily passed an NIL rule, but we had to pass this SEPARATE rule to curb booster abuse".

Look, I hate the NCAA. I think the NCAA is a bunch of buffoons. But they MIGHT have a legal leg to stand on by allowing NIL chronologically BEFORE they crack down on boosters involved in NIL.

"Hey, Chief Justice, this is our thousandth anti-booster-abuse rule. We love NIL, we permit NIL. This is not an NIL case, this is a booster-abuse case."

Last edited:
Yep. And your point is correct that this will be stuck in the courts for years because it will ultimately be appealed to the Supreme Court by the losing side.

I heard an attorney make a great point yesterday about how stupid the NCAA lawyers are. Which we should always remember.
Had the NCAA not appealed their challenge to Cali’s NIL law, which is what NIL was even in court, then the federal decision would only have applied to Cali schools as it was California state law. But by appealing the decision to the Supreme Court, once that decision was handed down it became the law of the land and was not confined to a single state.
Imagine those same ******* lawyers dealing with this.
Cover 3 joked about them needing to increase their billable hours lol 😂

These SEC guys want go back, if at all possible, to some semblance of the previous order of things.

It’s not going to happen, but if they got what they wanted, people like Ruiz would go away, and they would go back to dominating college football with their illegal bags under the table.

You literally have a criminal organization petitioning Congress so that they can resume their criminal activities.

The SEC is nothing more than a criminal organization, subject to RICO statutes, for encouraging tax evasion.

If they keep poking around like this, there may be some dirty laundry that eventually gets aired.

Advertisement
Back