Nike Football's The Opening Orlando 2017 One on Ones

Demetrius Mayes from the west and Xavier Thomas are MUST GETS for this staff on the DL as well

Xavier Thomas isn't coming so he isn't a must get. He's not going anywhere but clemson or South Carolina

Don't care. He's in Florida at IMG I think we can still reach him. Coach Kul snagged a kid from Sacramento California, so I think anything is possible with that dude. Unless the staff wants nothing to do with him then I stand corrected.
He's not coming don't get your hopes up

Advertisement
That Siedelman Dude looked really good on the OL. Sam Baker, William Barnes , and clevelend dude looked good also.
John Campbell wasn't impressive at all imo. Looked like he got beat just about every time. Xavier Thomas looked good on the Dl.

and RBs did well at first but for the most part LBs dominated.

Demetrius Mayes from the west and Xavier Thomas are MUST GETS for this staff on the DL as well

Xavier Thomas isn't coming so he isn't a must get. He's not going anywhere but clemson or South Carolina

Don't care. He's in Florida at IMG I think we can still reach him. Coach Kul snagged a kid from Sacramento California, so I think anything is possible with that dude. Unless the staff wants nothing to do with him then I stand corrected.
He's not coming don't get your hopes up

I'm pretty sure the dude said himself he's staying home and it's between Clemson and South Carolina

Advertisement
OL/DL Takeaways:

William Barnes - the best OL in those clips. beat 5 star Xavier Thomas in 2 reps as well as Nolan smith. My bet is that he gets a bump soon. Looks strong and had quick feet

Nolan Smith - looked real good. Dominated Evan Neal

Dennis Briggs - loved that we offered him, has the frame to be a stud DT. Looked quick, strong and aggressive with his hands. Blew up 4 star John Campbell multiple times

Cleveland Reed - looked real good when on the inside

Evan Neal - Really good on some reps and then really bad on others, looks like unpolished as of now, but strong base

John Campbell - lost every rep from what I saw. Struggled with speed and power. Gators can have him lol

Eric Seidelman looked solid

WR/DB:

Pope performed as expected

First time seeing Moore run routes, want him in this class regardless of who is left on the board. Definite take over Schwartz IMO if it comes down to it.

Hightower and Thompson looked very similar, I'll give a slight edge to Hightower although both need to work on getting in/out of routes; projects that should be redshirted.

Would like to see more on Wiggins, wasn't sold either way from those clips.

Bottom line, get Moore in this class with Pope, Wiggins, and one of Hightower/Thompson.

Hightower doesn't do it for me. Sloppy runner, slow first step, not agile.

Wiggins is better

Advertisement
Must try to get Dunlap Jr, Barnes, and Seidelman on the OL. Have no idea why Seidelman is NR, b/c he stonewalled everyone. He's a little short for the position, but feet, hand placement, technique, follow through, strength at base were all there.

WR's-must get Pope, Hightower, Moore, to go w Wiggins. I don't pay too much attention to all the moves b/c in reality, most of the moves after 4 secs are not "football moves." They become back yard football moves. A QB has about 4 secs to decipher and throw. Plus you have LBs, Zone Coverages, bracket coverage, etc to negate all of those wasted moves. So I look at what does that WR do in the first 4 secs, and Pope and Moore stood out the most in creating crazy separation, while Hightower stood out using his body and hands to dominate anyone on him. Get those 4 and lock up the class (unless X Will wants in, you make room for him)

DBs, wasn't impressed by many, but that Brendan Radley-Hiles kid was solid. Strong press coverage, good recovery. Just looked him up and Rivals has him as the # 6 DB in the nation, and I see why. He got beat a couple of times but in reality, in a real game he wouldn't have gotten beat. He's the only one that caught my eye on that side of the ball...oh and of course Mr Tyreke Johnson. Hopefully D Smith helps us getting him.

Lingard is a bully. He doesn't have wasted movements. He got up on LBs in a flash and had this been contact, I would assume he would've ran through them b/c of that burst and size he has. I would like to see just a little more wiggle on his movement. That's the difference between a 6 yard gain and 16 yard gain in CFB. One LB that stood out to me on one play was a 19 kid, Hunter Rozio. He showed perfect form and diagnosed the RB decision b4 the decision was made. He's NR either, but I'm sure that'll change in time.

Just my two cents; Love seeing these films...thanks OP.

Hightower doesn't look like the quickest but can't argue with the results

Moore is absolutely uncoverable.

Advertisement
Not really that impressed with hightowers speed or quickness in those clips. Same with Wiggins.

Mostly hate these "drills" or competitions, but the things I look for during them Elijah Moore has in spades. Jeff Thomas stuff. It's the definition of stacking chips when you start recruiting a guy like Moore behind Thomas.

Advertisement
Mostly hate these "drills" or competitions, but the things I look for during them Elijah Moore has in spades. Jeff Thomas stuff. It's the definition of stacking chips when you start recruiting a guy like Moore behind Thomas.

Liked moore. Loved pope.

His hands and his eye hand, along with separation, are special.

Still think we shouldn't have gotten Harley. Would rather have had Njoku, Thomas, and Dallas at WR in last class and Pope, Hightower, Williams, Wiggins, and Moore this class. Moore seems better than Harley to me.

DB's overall looked terrible.

Mark Pope - Best WR over last two cycles. Better than Jerry Jeudy and Devonta Smith. Must get. Starts day ONE wherever he goes.

Elijah Moore - Wasn't sold on him but I'm a fan now. Technician. Perfect slot WR. Definite take.

Josh Moore - Physical freak. Top 5 WR.

Brian Hightower - Not as fluid as I would like to see. Wasted movement. Won't play early.

Warren Thompson - About the same as Hightower.

Justin McGriff - Interesting TE prospect from Cad Weldon;s HS.

Pope, Moore and Wiggins appear to be locks for this class.

One more of Hightower, Thompson, Austin or Harris please.

Great post, Al!

Agree with you on all points. Same things I saw. It's good to have these type of problems again at the U. You can NEVER have too much talent.

Sounds like we are slow rolling him.

I say stop f**king around and lock him down.

Is it me or are Hightower and Thompson less than impressive?

I'm just not a fan of big lumbering WR's with slow feet.

Neither of those kids are anywhere near as good as Trevon Grimes.

Same **** I've been saying for a while now. But as usual, people fell in love with stars and rankings without seeing film or just don't know how to evaluate talent.

Elijah is elite. Hightower and Thomson are physical specimens, but unless they can run like Andre, Julio, Megatron, Demariyus, etc., (which they can't), then give me the guy that can outjuke and outrun you and run precise routes all day. At the end of the day, the name of the game at WR is getting separation.

Advertisement
Back