Nijel Pack Submits Name for NBA Draft

Not what I expected the off-season to be like.
When you have really good players and a deep NCAA Tourney run, this routinely happens. Blue Blood program fan bases are used to it. The better a player performs in the national spotlight, the higher the chances of his entering the NBA draft are. We can't have it both ways. Fingers crossed.

Advertisement
I'm much less worried about Omier leaving than I am about Pack. Unlike Omier, Pack may not have had the type of year -- individually -- that he may have planned for. Team had great success, but his numbers may not have been what he was hoping for. That being said, he doesn't come across as a selfish guy to me, so it's very possible that he's not worried about his numbers right now. Football board is saying our NIL money hasn't run dry. That would be the only other reason that I could see him leaving. Like Omier, I don't think Pack gets the NBA grade he's wishing for. Hopefully, it's just another case of a player testing the waters.
Pack had stretches of games where he struggled to get his shot off. He's a catch and shoot guard, not a creator of his own offense. Even in that famous game where he hit 5 or 6 three's in the last six-seven minutes of the game, he had hardly scored a point all game up to that point.

Omier is much more NBA-ready in terms of body but ... is there a place in the three ball-happy NBA for a 6'7 interior player with no proven outside shot. Wes Unseld made the NBA HoF with a game like Omier's but, that was back in the 70s and 80s.

As to the football board saying our NIL $$ is not running dry, I'm not sure that's true. Even if it isn't running dry, there's every chance it's not what it used to be.

Pack had stretches of games where he struggled to get his shot off. He's a catch and shoot guard, not a creator of his own offense. Even in that famous game where he hit 5 or 6 three's in the last six-seven minutes of the game, he had hardly scored a point all game up to that point.

Omier is much more NBA-ready in terms of body but ... is there a place in the three ball-happy NBA for a 6'7 interior player with no proven outside shot. Wes Unseld made the NBA HoF with a game like Omier's but, that was back in the 70s and 80s.

As to the football board saying our NIL $$ is not running dry, I'm not sure that's true. Even if it isn't running dry, there's every chance it's not what it used to be.

Basketball NIL budget is bigger than last year. But the market has exploded and outpaced our growth. Also, the splash we made last year was a big spend on a single player. We were behind all of the blue bloods on total NIL spend even last year.

Advertisement
I guess we’re just a Women’s Basketball school now…

And if the same posters ask about NIL being dry over and over again does that make it true?

@AtlAtty - with all the lawyers on the board, I think there may need to be a set of objections and responses… that way you can slap them down with a judge-like “Asked and Answered” type formality.

I guess we’re just a Women’s Basketball school now…

And if the same posters ask about NIL being dry over and over again does that make it true?

@AtlAtty - with all the lawyers on the board, I think there may need to be a set of objections and responses… that way you can slap them down with a judge-like “Asked and Answered” type formality.
As someone else said here, our NIL coffers may still be healthy but ... we no longer have the same percentage of that playing field to ourselves as we did a year ago. Most everybody else has caught up and/or surpassed us. Alumni collectives at huge state schools are vast compared to a smallish, private institution like UM.

Advertisement
As someone else said here, our NIL coffers may still be healthy but ... we no longer have the same percentage of that playing field to ourselves as we did a year ago. Most everybody else has caught up and/or surpassed us. Alumni collectives at huge state schools are vast compared to a smallish, private institution like UM.

Very fair. I’m not on the inside of our NIL, but we need to adapt and sustain competitively…and we may be… I don’t think we’ll know the answer we are looking for…

We never had that advantage. It was just an excuse by the media and opposing fans. **** Kentucky had 1 guy on an NIL deal worth more than our whole NIL budget.

We had 1 high dollar NIL transfer in Pack, and even with him the competition wasnt the blue blood, top NIL schools.

What's different this year is now even mid-majors can pay six figures thru NIL collectives. It's not just "huge state schools" it's even A-10 type of schools.

We never had that advantage. It was just an excuse by the media and opposing fans. **** Kentucky had 1 guy on an NIL deal worth more than our whole NIL budget.

We had 1 high dollar NIL transfer in Pack, and even with him the competition wasnt the blue blood, top NIL schools.

What's different this year is now even mid-majors can pay six figures thru NIL collectives. It's not just "huge state schools" it's even A-10 type of schools.
Agree that it was an illlusion that we had some huge monetary advantage a year ago. What we did have was that implementing NIL caught many schools a bit flat-footed. Thanks to Ruiz (and others?), we did seem to have our ducks in order sooner than many schools did at this point a year ago.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back