Nick Saban Press Conference This AM

LatinCane

Sophomore
Was asked about Harbaugh being hired and the reported salary ($8 million).

He said the most important thing is what kind of value does that hire make to the university. If you create value to the university then there is a relative amount based on that value. Said that administrators have a better gauge of that value.

What kind of value does Miami think Golden brings to the university? Now that the value has substantially decreased and will continue to decrease if nothing changes, then where is the value? Is it saving money on the unnecessary extension at this point? Will the money saved by not letting him go outweigh the money produced in ticket sales, UM marketing revenue, concessions, Hurricane Club donations?

Also, can anyone think of an extension that was granted based on loyalty and not on performance recently? Maybe Frank Beamer at VT. I am having a hard time thinking of anyone else.

Advertisement
Saban loves that Mich/harbaugh deal. Those bama hicks are gonna give him $8.2M. Meanwhile, as the market for decent HC's is spiking, our clueless admin kept AG thinking it would save a few dollars.

Was asked about Harbaugh being hired and the reported salary ($8 million).

Also, can anyone think of an extension that was granted based on loyalty and not on performance recently? Maybe Frank Beamer at VT. I am having a hard time thinking of anyone else.

Bowden? But I am not sure if that is considered recent anymore.

Advertisement
There are five elite head coaches and then everyone else....

Nick Saban
Urban Meyer
Gus Malzahn
Jimbo Fisher
Jim Harbaugh

Harabaugh Salary Is only $5M.... however he has COMPLETE control over Football operations (simliar to Golden).

Took Less money so it could go to his Staff....

JC

The UM administration doesn't really care, as long as they keep getting those ACC checks. They have been whoring out the football program since the eighties, to build up the school. Until that changes we are who we are going to be for the foreseeable future.

Advertisement
The biggest loss will come in the form of brand damagement. Used to be saying "The U" meant something, now its laughed off. The main objective of any company is to protect the brand. The Admin staff and upper ups may want to promote Miami as an academic entity but lets not kid ourselves the football program created the brand. I live up north so i may be wrong but when i think of the top medical programs or academic schools, Miami does not cross my mind. the football program gives the entire school a voice and creates a face for it. The dis-integration of the program is going to have bigger consequences than football

Advertisement
The biggest loss will come in the form of brand damagement. Used to be saying "The U" meant something, now its laughed off. The main objective of any company is to protect the brand. The Admin staff and upper ups may want to promote Miami as an academic entity but lets not kid ourselves the football program created the brand. I live up north so i may be wrong but when i think of the top medical programs or academic schools, Miami does not cross my mind. the football program gives the entire school a voice and creates a face for it. The dis-integration of the program is going to have bigger consequences than football

Up North elitist dissin' my degrees from UM.

I'm sure an MD from the joke of a med school that is at FSU is a lot more valuable because of WInston and their National Championship.

Advertisement
The budget of University of Michigan Athletics department is about $132 millions dollars annually and 80 percent of it is gone to football team.

I heard something interesting in Miami this weekend. One of UM's lawyers told me that a few people in the Administration actually think that an investment in football is a waste of resources based on the belief (rationalization) that collegiate football will be obsolete within 20 years, either due to injury concerns/lawsuits and/or the demise of amateurism. I don't buy that high level decisions are being made on this premise, though nothing with this Admin would surprise me. I'd be interested to hear from DMoney and others if they have ever heard the same thing.

Advertisement
Back