NFL U Free Agent Updates

Tommy Streeter Waived

firstcoastnews.com
May/11/15, 10:52 PM

JACKSONVILLE, Fla. --- The Jacksonville Jaguars have made several moves following rookie minicamp that will impact the team's depth chart heading into OTAs.

On Monday, the team waived wide receiver Tommy Streeter , tight end Marcel Jensen, safety Jeremy Deering and kicker Derek Dimke.

The team also signed Western Michigan defensive tackle Richard Ash, Akron defensive end Cap Capi, Portland State wide receiver/return man Kasey Closs, UNC-Charlotte free safety Desmond Cooper and Northern Iowa offensive lineman Jack Rummells, according to the Jaguars.

Streeter is the likely the biggest name among the cuts. He is a former sixth round pick of the Baltimore Ravens and won a Super Bowl with the team in 2012.

The 6-foot-5 215-pound receiver has blistering speed to go with that frame as he ran a 4.37 second 40-yard dash, but injury and lack of development has kept him from making any impact in the NFL. Originally drafted in the 6th round of the 2012 NFL Draft by the Baltimore Ravens with their 198th pick, the Ravens had to place Streeter on injured reserve due to foot injury in August of 2012. A full year later, Streeter just couldn't get his act together and the Ravens waived him.

He bounced around the league a bit as a practice squad member with the Bills, Buccaneers and Dolphins before making his way to the Jacksonville Jaguars' practice squad. For the first time in his professional career, he made it to the active roster after the Jags cut wide receiver Mike Brown. However, even the wide receiver depleted Jaguars had no place for Streeter on their team and waved him Monday. Despite playing in the league for three seasons, Streeter has only appeared in two games and has yet to catch an NFL pass. Both of those appearances were made last season with the Jaguars.

Here's hoping that Tommy can catch on with a team and can turn that speed and size combination into more than just enticing potential.

Streeter should have stayed at Miami at least one more year.

Advertisement
I think Fentress can make it as a Special Teams guy

babyjane-cackle-o.gif

11372563_464898160339573_2022379447_n.jpg
Eagles sign offensive lineman Jared Wheeler
Jun/15/15

The Eagles released guard Evan Mathis last week, leaving themselves with both an empty roster spot and an empty place in their offensive line group.

They filled those spots on Monday. The Eagles announced that they have signed offensive lineman Jared Wheeler to a one-year contract after working him out earlier in the day.

Wheeler was signed as undrafted free agent out of Miami last year by the Seahawks and bounced from Seattle to Carolina and Buffalo during his first NFL season. Wheeler never saw any regular season action in any of the stops, however, and he’s an unlikely candidate to wind up in the lineup or replace the production Mathis provided for the Eagles over the years.

The Eagles may still be in the market for a player who could offer more of a chance to do those things, although such players are probably only arriving at this point in the offseason via a trade or after they’re released by their current club.

20_TouchdownTommy_news.jpg
Dolphins sign receiver Tommy Streeter
Jun/08/15

Former Miami Hurricanes wide receiver Tommy Streeter is getting another shot in Miami.

The Dolphins signed Streeter today, a league source tells PFT.

Streeter was a sixth-round pick of the Ravens in 2006 but suffered a foot injury in the preseason and never played in Baltimore. He has also bounced around the league with the Bills, Buccaneers and Jaguars

Advertisement
050815_spt_dolphins_rookies_18_1.JPG
Former University of Miami basketball player Joe Thomas (78) jokes with rookie Kendall Montgomery at Miami Dolphins rookie camp in Davie, Florida on May 8, 2015. (Allen Eyestone / The Palm Beach Post)

Two ex-Canes look to make leap from hoops to football with Dolphins
4:59 p.m. Friday, May 8, 2015

DAVIE — Two Miami Hurricanes basketball players are hoping to follow in the giant footsteps of Jimmy Graham — tight end Raphael Akpejiori and defensive end Joe Thomas.

Akpejiori and Thomas were among the 26 tryout players on the field Friday for the first day of Dolphins rookie camp. Akpejiori towered over everyone at 6-foot-9, 241 pounds and Thomas (6-7, 245) was the tallest defensive lineman. Neither has much football experience, but neither did Graham when he was drafted by New Orleans in 2010 and went on to make All-Pro.

Former University of Miami basketball player Joe Thomas (78) jokes with rookie Kendall Montgomery at Miami Dolphins rookie camp in Davie, Florida on May 8, 2015. (Allen Eyestone / The Palm Beach Post)

“(Graham is) the first guy everybody from Miami talks to when we’re trying to make that switch,” said the Nigerian-born Akpejiori, who started 10 of 85 games for the UM basketball team from 2010-14. “Everybody comes back and works out through the summer and we all worked out together. He said to just be a beast, be good and do everything you can to help your organization … He said it’s a different ballgame than basketball and just be aggressive, listen to the coaches and stay in the playbook.”

Last fall, Akpejiori did some work with the Hurricanes football team but confirmed he was ineligible for undisclosed reasons.

The Dolphins first noticed Akpejiori and Thomas at the Hurricanes’ pro day.

“There’s been a history as we all know of guys making the transition from basketball to pro football,” coach Joe Philbin said. “So it’s kind of one step at a time. We know they’re good athletes and we want to gain exposure to them here and see how they potentially could fit.”

050815_spt_dolphins_rookies_19.JPG
Former University of Miami basketball player Joe Thomas (right) can't make a catch as he is defended by Maurice Falls (56) at Miami Dolphins rookie camp

Last edited:
635688583737150145-GPG-Packers-OTAs00474.jpg

Ladarius Gunter Getting First Team Reps

“That group in particular,” Whitt said, “has sort of separated themselves from the group of eight young guys. Now, one of those three got to separate themselves from those three guys, which who that’ll be, I don’t know. They all have talent.

“(Damarious Randall) is probably the most talented of those three, but (Quinten Rollins) has great instincts. He’s probably the most instinctual, and (Gunter) probably has the most technique right now, but they all have a long ways to go.”

Gunter played two pretty nondescript seasons at Miami, where his career totals were 55 tackles and three interceptions. While he has the size (6-2, 202) that no other cornerback on the Packers roster has, Gunter was hurt by a dreadfully slow (for a cornerback) 4.69 40 time at the combine.

I guess our DB coach can't be that bad after all.

View attachment 30699
Eagles sign offensive lineman Jared Wheeler
Jun/15/15

The Eagles released guard Evan Mathis last week, leaving themselves with both an empty roster spot and an empty place in their offensive line group.

They filled those spots on Monday. The Eagles announced that they have signed offensive lineman Jared Wheeler to a one-year contract after working him out earlier in the day.

Wheeler was signed as undrafted free agent out of Miami last year by the Seahawks and bounced from Seattle to Carolina and Buffalo during his first NFL season. Wheeler never saw any regular season action in any of the stops, however, and he’s an unlikely candidate to wind up in the lineup or replace the production Mathis provided for the Eagles over the years.

The Eagles may still be in the market for a player who could offer more of a chance to do those things, although such players are probably only arriving at this point in the offseason via a trade or after they’re released by their current club.

So Philly gets ex-UM outstanding OL Coach Jeff Stoutland, and now two of his linemen are brought in as FAs, Jared Wheeler, and Malcolm Bunche. One has to give both of them a great chance to stick around at least to the practice squad, barring injuries; getting that solid foot in the door, and next year could be the charm.

Advertisement
New team same problems...

Seantrel Henderson's spring slide lands him on Bills' bubble

Jul/20/15 11:02 PM Filed in: Seantrel Henderson
Continuing a month-long series analyzing players who are on the Buffalo Bills' roster bubble and where they potentially fit in 2015:

Name: Seantrel Henderson
Position: Offensive tackle
2014 stats: 16 games (16 starts)
Chance of making 53-man roster: 75 percent

Why he should make it: Along with veteran guard Chris Williams, Henderson saw his stock drop the most of any Bills player this spring. He went from a 16-game starter at right tackle under coach Doug Marrone to rotating second-team reps with undrafted rookie Tyson Chandler during June's minicamp, the most recent time players were on the practice field. Still, his slide most likely won't be enough to keep him off the 53-man roster. The Bills don't have tremendous depth along their offensive line and have a long-term need at offensive tackle because Cordy Glenn is set to become a free agent next spring. Even if Henderson doesn't reclaim his starting right tackle job from Cyrus Kouandjio, he's worth keeping around at a position that very much remains in flux for the Bills, especially with last week's arrest of offensive line coach Aaron Kromer.

Why he shouldn't make it: The red flags through the spring were glaring for Henderson, who missed an OTA practice for non-injury reasons -- he was later spotted outside the locker room -- and also missed the first mandatory minicamp for travel issues. From all appearances, he didn't get off on the right foot with Kromer, although it's unclear if Kromer will even be coaching Henderson again this season. The one scenario that would keep Henderson off the 53-man roster is if coach Rex Ryan feels strongly about keeping 34-year-old veteran Wayne Hunter as his swing tackle. Ryan has a long history with Hunter that he doesn't have with Henderson and as a former seventh-round pick, Henderson is still very much expendable on the 53-man roster. The Bills keeping three offensive tackles -- Glenn, Kouandjio and Hunter -- is a possibility that can't be discounted at this point.

Ohh boy don't let anyone see that about Seantrel. He was a huge disappointment while here and people loved using him last yr as exhibit A to this staffs shortcomings. Not that there aren't ten others, but no one likes their bubble bursted..lol

View attachment 30703

Ladarius Gunter Getting First Team Reps

“That group in particular,” Whitt said, “has sort of separated themselves from the group of eight young guys. Now, one of those three got to separate themselves from those three guys, which who that’ll be, I don’t know. They all have talent.

“(Damarious Randall) is probably the most talented of those three, but (Quinten Rollins) has great instincts. He’s probably the most instinctual, and (Gunter) probably has the most technique right now, but they all have a long ways to go.”

Gunter played two pretty nondescript seasons at Miami, where his career totals were 55 tackles and three interceptions. While he has the size (6-2, 202) that no other cornerback on the Packers roster has, Gunter was hurt by a dreadfully slow (for a cornerback) 4.69 40 time at the combine.

I guess our DB coach can't be that bad after all.

They forgot to teach our secondary the technique where you turn your head and look for the ball.

Advertisement
8049297.jpg

Falcons Release Harland Gunn, Signed Quickly After

Aug/02/15
The Falcons signed one offensive lineman and released another, the team announced Saturday. The team signed offensive lineman Pierce Burton and released guard Harland Gunn. Gunn was subsequently signed by the Patriots.

St. Louis Rams NFL Football Front Page

Aug 10, 2015 | 09:21 am
Forston glad to be back in NFL with Rams
Nate LatschNate Latsch
GridironGateway.com

ST. LOUIS — Out of the NFL for almost a year, Marcus Forston thought his football career was over when the Rams called him last Thursday and offered him a chance to work out.

“I was at work,” Forston said. “I was doing security. It was crazy because they wanted to bring me in that same night. So I got off work, hadn’t eaten all day at work. Went home. Packed a quick bag. Rushed to the airport. Got on the plane. Got here at like 11:30 at night.
Everything’s closed. Middle of the night. I’m dehydrated. I cramped. I’m like, ‘Nah, this can’t happen to me, man.’ So I cramped up. Woke up in the morning. We had a full day with the physicals and everything. Came here and worked out and they wanted to sign me. So it was a major blessing.”

The 25-year-old Forston is a 6-foot-3, 312-pound defensive tackle who played at the University of Miami. He showed some promise as a sophomore with the Hurricanes in 2010, but missed most of his junior season with an injury and then went undrafted after enrolling early for the 2012 Draft.

Signed with the New England Patriots as a free agent, Forston appeared in one game during the 2012 season and then three games in 2013 but was released during training camp a year ago. He did not land a job anywhere on a practice squad and, after competing at the inaugural NFL Veterans Combine in Arizona this spring, didn’t hear from any teams until the Rams called last week.

“I thought it was over,” Forston said. “I thought it was over, man. I started filling out applications for PD (police departments). I had two job offers — Atlanta PD and back home, Miami Gardens. So I was going through the process for them. I passed all my physicals. Physical agility. Conditioning part. I passed the interview part. Probably any day now they are going to call me for the polygraph and the psych (tests), so I’m going to have to tell them I have another opportunity.”

Forston had moved on to life after football.

He has a wife and a baby he needed to support. He was ready to put his degree in criminology to use out in the real world. He was doing that with a job in security and, he pointed out, moving up the ranks quickly. The day before the Rams called, he was offered a promotion at work.

With that opportunity, as well as the two offers to become a policeman, Forston said he had a lot of blessings coming his way.

Forston explained that he hadn’t been training for a football career anymore, but he joined a CrossFit gym about four weeks ago that helped him get in shape.

“I was like 325 (pounds),” Forston said. “I was like, man, I’m too big, police don’t want me too big. I dropped weight and when I got here I was 312. I was like, ah, man, that’s perfect. So it was good. CrossFit did me well.”
Now he’s got to make a quick adjustment back to football.

Forston said he hasn’t put on pads since his release from the Patriots last August. He’ll need some time to get his legs under him, but he’s going to give everything he has to make the most of his opportunity.

He’s been given another chance at a football career he thought was over.

“It’s all up to me at the end of the day,” Forston said. “If I do what I need to do and work hard and put out good film, everything should be good. But at the end of the day I don’t have the final say so. I just have to put out some good film and play good in preseason and everything should go well.”

Forston didn’t hesitate when he got the call from the Rams, which he said was the first team to show interest in him since the veterans combine. He called his boss and said someone would have to fill in for him the next day. His boss, Forston said, has been great to him and helped him out a lot.

“She told me whenever I need a job, I need anything from her, any references, to give her a call,” Forston said. “But we’re not hoping for that. We don’t want to go back there.”

Advertisement
proCanes.com ‏@proCanes 1h1 hour ago
AWESOME NEWS: #Giants and a 3rd #proCane to their roster joining Ereck Flowers and Jon Beason by signing S Brandon Meriweather
CMkQ3QTXAAAc8qW.jpg

Brandon Meriweather reunites with Jon Beason

Aug/16/15 11:58 PM Filed in: Brandon Meriweather | Jon Beason
JonBeasonGiantsEAST RUTHERFORD, N.J. – Jon Beason and Brandon Meriweather enjoyed the NFL’s version of a family reunion today at Giants’ training camp.

The linebacker and safety were teammates for four seasons at the University of Miami (2003-06). They share a birthday, Jan. 14. The two players were selected 24th (Meriweather) and 25th in the 2007 NFL Draft.

And now they’ve reunited. The Giants today signed Meriweather, a nine-year veteran and two-time Pro Bowler, to shore up the back of their defense, which has been depleted by injuries.

“Once a Cane (Miami Hurricane), always a Cane,” Beason said after practice. “So to me, it’s about putting the band back together. We played all four years together, he was All-American, he was the quarterback of our defense and got everybody lined up. Extremely intelligent player, could be coaching one day. Understands fronts, run fits, coverage, entry angles, how to break on the ball. That’s how you get big hits, taking the proper steps and anticipation. He’s going to help us tremendously, a veteran, another voice back there, and I think it’s going to make our secondary a lot better.”

“That’s my brother,” Meriweather said. “It’s like going to a family reunion. It’s like getting back with your brother. In his and my case, getting back with my little brother.”

Meriweather was the New England Patriots’ first-round draft choice in 2007. Beason was chosen moments later by the Carolina Panthers.

“We had an ongoing bet who was going to go first, and he one-upped me,” Beason said. “It was all good.”

“I beat him, he knows that,” Meriweather said. “I actually thought he was going to go first, but yeah, I beat him.”

Meriweather spent four seasons with the Patriots and has also played for Chicago and Washington. He was a Pro Bowler in 2009-10. So was Beason, who was traded here on Oct. 4, 2013.

Of course, the Giants are far less interested in their friendship than they are in how well Meriweather can play. With Nat Berhe (calf), Landon Collins (knee) and Mykkele Thompson (Achilles tendon, out for the season) sidelined, they need help at safety.

“I’m excited, man,” Meriweather said. “Anytime you can come to a great organization, you’ve always got to be excited and ready to help.

“I’m going to go in and I’m going to put my all into it. I’m going to get with coach every day until I get it the way I knew every other defense.”

Asked if he is still the player who was selected to two Pro Bowls, Meriweather said, “I know I am.”

Meriweather was thrown into the fire in the full-pads practice, taking far more reps than he anticipated.

“They actually threw me in and I didn’t know I was going to get that many reps at all,” he said. “I thought I was going to do some running around, but not that.

“It’s always good to learn on the fly. It’s always good just to learn, just throw them in and let them sink or swim. That’s the way you learn.”

Last edited:

Continuing a month-long series analyzing players who are on the Buffalo Bills' roster bubble and where they potentially fit in 2015:

Why he should make it: Along with veteran guard Chris Williams, Henderson saw his stock drop the most of any Bills player this spring. He went from a 16-game starter at right tackle under coach Doug Marrone to rotating second-team reps with undrafted rookie Tyson Chandler during June's minicamp, the most recent time players were on the practice field. Still, his slide most likely won't be enough to keep him off the 53-man roster. The Bills don't have tremendous depth along their offensive line and have a long-term need at offensive tackle because Cordy Glenn is set to become a free agent next spring. Even if Henderson doesn't reclaim his starting right tackle job from Cyrus Kouandjio, he's worth keeping around at a position that very much remains in flux for the Bills, especially with last week's arrest of offensive line coach Aaron Kromer.

Why he shouldn't make it: The red flags through the spring were glaring for Henderson, who missed an OTA practice for non-injury reasons -- he was later spotted outside the locker room -- and also missed the first mandatory minicamp for travel issues. From all appearances, he didn't get off on the right foot with Kromer, although it's unclear if Kromer will even be coaching Henderson again this season. The one scenario that would keep Henderson off the 53-man roster is if coach Rex Ryan feels strongly about keeping 34-year-old veteran Wayne Hunter as his swing tackle. Ryan has a long history with Hunter that he doesn't have with Henderson and as a former seventh-round pick, Henderson is still very much expendable on the 53-man roster. The Bills keeping three offensive tackles -- Glenn, Kouandjio and Hunter -- is a possibility that can't be discounted at this point.
That's one player's lazy *** I've never blamed golden for. Dude had/has so much potential but he just doesn't care. Ain't much you can do with a kid like that.

That's one player's lazy *** I've never blamed golden for. Dude had/has so much potential but he just doesn't care. Ain't much you can do with a kid like that.

Dude was a lazy *** before Al and after Al. It's just who he is

Advertisement
Back