NFL Draft: The Effects on Recruiting

Ugh - that hurts. What stands out to me (besides development) is:

6 of the 26 (23%) transferred. Transfers will happen, but gotta get that % down
We had two coaching transitions - which always hurts recruiting that year
"The Cloud" is downplayed now for some reason. It definitely hamstrung us for 2-3 years

Still - gotta do better
If you add up the transfers with the guys that just didn't finish here (your Sam Bruce's if you will; even AQ Muhammad if we are trying to keep the discourse honest)...the number of non-finishers here seems abnormally high, especially for your highest rated enrollees.

Also, lots of early NFL draft declarees.

Very few four year players on that list...and I know in a perfect world your top recruits aren't long for this world as 4-5 year players, but its not exactly ended well for most of those guys, especially if they bounced early. Yeah, Artie Burns and Duke Johnson have made some money and have had careers, but we're talking about Mark Walton in another thread, Joseph Yearby, Jeff Thomas...BREVIN. God ****. Just a list of investments with poor returns.

Advertisement
First and foremost, you can't run in the Derby with a mule. Then after you get that thoroughbred, you better have Baffert on the sideline.

It is mostly about development. We passed on Elijah Moore and Anthony Schwartz but if we took them... no way they are drafted where they were.

i think we are in better hands now but time will tell

It's not all recruiting, it's not all development- unfortunately they do correlate and affect each other.

Another aspect that has hurt us is players leaving early. Everyone's respective ceiling is different, and for fringe draftable guys, that last year is huge. I am optimistic that Harley, Blades, Ivey, Hall, Donaldson, and Scaife all become more desirable by staying for 2021 and developing with this version of the staff.

Highly unlikely they become day 2 picks or better, but getting our UDFA guys to become draft picks is another step in the right direction.

We don’t get the elite of the elite kids and the top tier ones we do get, plateau here. There isn’t a single problem to point to, it’s everything. The entire athletic program is broken. That’s why no major sports programs are any good.

Advertisement
Tyrique will be a day 1/2 pick. Why? Because he’s a freak of nature. That’s recruiting. You wanna cry about development? Point to quartback and OL. Defensively it’s the freaks who get drafted. Same for wideout and running back

Harbaugh since 2015: 49-22 (1-4 in bowl games, 2 NY6 appearances)

Miami since 2015: 48-28 (1-5 in bowl games, 1 NY6 appearance)

Let’s not cast stones. And the reason Harbaugh hasn’t been fired is b/c he’s been the most successful coach since the Lloyd Carr era, winning 10+ games multiple times. However, after the 2-4 season, I believe they changed the language to make it a more palatable buy out if he screws up again.
Agreed but lets not forget the salary that Harbaugh is paid. Right or wrong, exorbitant salaries create exorbitant expectations.

It's not really about casting stones though. How many coaches have worked at Miami since Harbaugh started at M? Golden got fired, then Scott, then Richt, and now Diaz is on the hot seat. Dude is getting paid more per year than all our fired coaches combined and has only won one more game? Could you imagine what the Michigan version of CIS must be like? If they even have any slurps, I bet they're drawn and quartered daily.

I always found it so amusing that our fans have to gall to talk about other coaches needing to be fired......All the while accepting, justifying, praying and hoping against hope for improvement here.

We've had good recruiting & extremely weak schedules for years now .....and yet we call MD's fair performances reason for hope.I

Let's clean up our own yard before we complain about the neighbor's mess.

I have much more reason to believe Harbaugh' will improve before Diaz gets a clue

Advertisement
Harbaugh's been great at recruiting Defense - and god awful at recruiting Offense

He's only recruited 1 QB/RB/WR taken in the first 3 rounds - and that was Nico Collins who just got drafted.

Facts. Which is really weird; but U’re absolutely correct.

I always found it so amusing that our fans have to gall to talk about other coaches needing to be fired......All the while accepting, justifying, praying and hoping against hope for improvement here.

We've had good recruiting & extremely weak schedules for years now .....and yet we call MD's fair performances reason for hope.I

Let's clean up our own yard before we complain about the neighbor's mess.

I have much more reason to believe Harbaugh' will improve before Diaz gets a clue

This bro; this is what infuriates me. We’re so quick to point the finger at others, all the while slur......ummmm, justify & defend the mediocrity here. This is y I remind posters, “hey, look at our chit!”

We basically are what our recruiting says we are. All those schools are consistently 1-10 in recruiting while we are usually 10-20.

Advertisement
While the the bold is certainly a piece of the pie...we've got to develop the players we DO get.

Players rated over .9500 on 247 from 2018 to 2010.

Lorenzo Lingard-injuries
Brevin Jordan-hit/injuries
Nesta Silvera-This is one that can show player development
Mark Pope-soft/in his own way
Jarren Williams-in his own way
Al Blades-This is one that can show player development
Jeff Thomas-hit/headcase
Navaughn Donaldson-has been in his own way but still a solid player
DJ Johnson-overrated..didn't cut it at Oregon either
Sam Bruce-headcase
Mark Walton-hit/headcase
Chad Thomas-Not interested in being a full time football player

Joseph Yearby-overrated. Athletically limited
Kc McDermott-overrated. Athleically limited
Trevor Darling-This is one that questions player development
AQ Muhammad-NCAA/was in his own way
Stacy Coley-soft

Kevin Olsen-headcase
Artie Burns-hit
Duke Johnson-hit

Tracy Howard-overrated. Athletically limited
Jelani Hamilton-soft
Tyriq McCord-poor scheme fit
Anthony Chickillo-poor scheme fit
Seantrel Henderson-was in his own way

Storm Johnson-was in his own way

Over the past decade, we've had 9 players drafted from our "top (highly regarded) prospects". One first round pick...three Day 2 guys...five Day 5 guys. Not sure where they are on depth charts right now, but I don't think any are starting in the NFL right now.

So, yes, I agree...we definitely need to win battles...we also need to do something with what we do have.
Overall, I think poor evaluations are more to blame then lack of player development..injuries are part of the game

this was blaring in the 37 Florida drafts and all we had was rousseau, next year our top draft picks will be the transfers again, we are getting killed in recruiting

Which is another reason y I’ve been an opponent of us scouring the portal & being OK w/ it. The portal is supposed to be a band aid, not a substitute for f’ing up w/ recruiting.

Advertisement
yeah ... amari cooper's success opened the flood gate for them ... we may have a chance at DE, TE, but we have to develop guys far better

DE, yes....We need Mallory to change the sour taste that Brevin draft status left. We also need BJ to produce at the next level to remind everyone we’re TEU....Walford, Njoku, and Herndon have been massive disappointments & have tarnished our rep, low key. U got mofos calling Bama & ND “TEU.” Smh.

Last edited:
It's not really about casting stones though. How many coaches have worked at Miami since Harbaugh started at M? Golden got fired, then Scott, then Richt, and now Diaz is on the hot seat. Dude is getting paid more per year than all our fired coaches combined and has only won one more game? Could you imagine what the Michigan version of CIS must be like? If they even have any slurps, I bet they're drawn and quartered daily.

Oh they ****ed & sorely disappointed bro. Lol. Ppl think we’re bad, & forget Michigan fans stormed the AD’s home calling for Hoke’s head. I would argue that if Michigan don’t go at least 10 games this season, it’ll be very combustible.

Besides the fact that we identify the wrong ones I think the ones we like alot we can't get. Hey we heard a coach on this staff anonymously say schools are cheating and there isn't a thing they can do about it. I just think there is this myth on here that if we win they will come or if we won enough it would change things. I think one year of winning wouldn't get kids to turn down 200k stacks.

Advertisement
Back