NFL Draft Money

At the end of the day, whatever money he get's be it $5 or $5 million it will be that much more than he already has.

Wow. Great career advice. If you can get $5 today, take it and ignore the way that you can earn income for life. Take that five bucks NOW.

Advertisement
The problem here is that you more than likely never been an athlete in your life. And this is not a insult to you so don't take it that way. Therefore, when you, like most people, see these athletes leave to pursue a career in the professional ranks. Nine out of ten times you think that it is only money driven. Although money is a major benefit, however there are other major factors at play. So, depending on the sport and the position being played the clock starts much earlier than your average student that goes to the same university, graduates and applies for a job. For a RB in this case, he has been training for an opportunity like this since he was able to carry a football. When he finally got a chance to compete at the highest college level his job interviews started at the first practice. From that point on he was at risk of losing it all to injury and playing time. So in order to understand what is truly at stake here you have to look at this from a career in sports point of view and not your average 9 to 5 job point of view.

Let's deal with returning to school to complete his degree because of free room and board etc which he more than likely live off campus anyway but for kicks lets do it. Fact he is a Jr, so he will be completing his Jr year of college. At the most he will have about 20 credit hrs left. From his point of view, why risk injury returning when he will have to run the football through spring training, summer camp, fall camp and no guarantee of playing time? So when you put this in prospective, it's like being up $5 million at the craps table and someone is like go all in and roll again. He would have to be crazy as ****!!

Last edited:
I don't think people understand the difference between finishing his degree next season under a full-ride scholarship or coming back to finish later. Maybe UM is nice enough to let athletes who leave early come back and finish their degrees tuition free but that's only a small portion of what it's going to cost. While on athletic scholarship, Yearby gets free tuition, books, room and board, healthcare, food, tutoring and even clothing and shoes. For a young guy who's not wealthy all that can really add up. Staying at UM is not about improving his draft stock, it's purely for educational purposes. That way, if he doesn't catch on with an NFL team, he'll be able to go right to work somewhere instead of returning to school.

The problem here is that you more than likely never been an athlete in your life. And this is not a insult to you so don't take that way. Therefore, when you, like most people, see these athletes leave to pursue a career in the professional ranks. Nine out of ten times you think that it is only money driven. Although money is a major benefit, however there are other major factors at play. So, depending on the sport and the position being played the clock starts much earlier than your average student that goes to the same university, graduates and applies for a job. For a RB in this case, he has been training for an opportunity like this since he was able to carry a football. When he finally got a chance to compete at the highest college level his job interviews started at the first practice. From that point on he was at risk of losing it all to injury and playing time. So in order to understand what is truly at stake here you have to look at this from a career in sports point of view and not your average 9 to 5 job point of view.

Let's deal with returning to school to complete his degree because of free room and board etc which he more than likely live off campus anyway but for kicks lets do it. Fact he is a Jr, so he will be completing his Jr year of college. At the most he will have about 20 credit hrs left. From his point of view, why risk injury returning when he will have to run the football through spring training, summer camp, fall camp and no guarantee of playing time? So when you put this in prospective, it's like being up $5 million at the craps table and someone is like go all in and roll again. He would have to be crazy as ****!!

If we want to look at it from a sports point of view, being undrafted in your sport and hoping to catch on in their version of minimum wage - with no backup plan - isn't a wise choice.

For kicks, if Yearby is as bad as you say he is then you would have to admit this is his best opportunity to make it. The only way you think he can comeback to school for another year with no guarantee of playing time and still have a shot at the NFL; you would have to truly believes he's a lot better than you currently give him credit for. But at any rate, putting those 20 credit hrs off for the fall session is not a bad idea considering most of U think that he will not get drafted or make a team anyway. So he could very well be back on campus in time for the fall session. Now if I am right, at a minimum he will be an UDFA. With that money it's no different than you making less than $100,000 and not having a second job as your backup plan.

Advertisement
For kicks, if Yearby is as bad as you say he is then you would have to admit this is his best opportunity to make it. The only way you think he can comeback to school for another year with no guarantee of playing time and still have a shot at the NFL; you would have to truly believes he's a lot better than you currently give him credit for. But at any rate, putting those 20 credit hrs off for the fall session is not a bad idea considering most of U think that he will not get drafted or make a team anyway. So he could very well be back on campus in time for the fall session. Now if I am right, at a minimum he will be an UDFA. With that money it's no different than you making less than $100,000 and not having a second job as your backup plan.

FYI, you and I are also undrafted free agents. Doesn't mean we are going to get a paycheck just because we want one and we have a family.

The main point should be that he can always come back to UM and earn his degree for free. I haven't heard any limitations to that deal. So, if he's not going to improve his draft stock next year, and thinks he has a chance to stick around some practice squads or even make a team, why not take that shot? His downside is coming back to UM later on and earning the same degree he'd earn if he stayed for next year. Additionally, we have no idea where he stands with credits.

Research shows that most guys don't take advantage of that. Like Pantera said, he won't have the tutors or the scheduling priority or the free room and board or any of the perks he has now. So if the NFL thing turns out to be a few months of practice squad checks, how is he going to be able to support the family as a full time student at UM?
He'll have to struggle. Lots of people go to school full-time and work full-time. Whether or not he takes advantage of it will be up to his willingness to sacrifice for his family, obviously.

I suppose it's his cost-benefit. He believes in himself enough (as a player) that he rather take his shot now and, perhaps, fall back on the struggle situation later. Or, his family is in desperate need now? I don't know enough about his situation to say much more than I have. All I know is it's not a horrendous fallback to have access to his final year of a free college degree.

This young man got up off his *** everyday to finish HS. Then went on to college, got up every morning for weight training, morning practice, went to class, passed his classes to remain eligible, and played in games on Saturday's at the highest level. If he decides to pursue a professional career as a RB I don't think he thinks he's deserving of a paycheck because he has a family. You are dealing with a young man that maintained the professionalism that we wish most young athletes would have done while here at the U. He's proven that he will put in the work and not draw negative attention to himself and the program. Therefore, he has proven that any NFL team would be lucky to have a guy like that on the team. While at the U he played his role until he eventually earned the position never looking for a handout.

This young man got up off his *** everyday to finish HS. Then went on to college, got up every morning for weight training, morning practice, went to class, passed his classes to remain eligible, and played in games on Saturday's at the highest level. If he decides to pursue a professional career as a RB I don't think he thinks he's deserving of a paycheck because he has a family. You are dealing with a young man that maintained the professionalism that we wish most young athletes would have done while here at the U. He's proven that he will put in the work and not draw negative attention to himself and the program. Therefore, he has proven that any NFL team would be lucky to have a guy like that on the team. While at the U he played his role until he eventually earned the position never looking for a handout.

Great traits, no doubt. But if the NFL teams are all lucky to have someone like that, won't they scramble to get him (draft him) before someone else does?

Advertisement
Yearby isn't improving his NFL prospects by staying another year to backup Walton. He needs to go.

Nojokeu is NFL ready and will blow minds at the combine. He's gone.

Kaaya isn't going to improve his draft position much by coming back, but he doesn't need the money and wouldn't be a first day pick anyway if he leaves. He'll probably come back to start and go 8-4/9-3 against next year.

He actually will come out of this thing in better shape for the long-term success than most RB's entering the draft including Cook. Yearby never took that beating and therefore is in much better condition for long-term success.

Surely, you can't be serious. Dalvin's vision, elusiveness, and everything else that makes him a once a decade player has him a top 5 pick in the draft. His extra 300 carries over Yearby's are of no consequence if you're wagering who earns more and plays longer in the NFL. One of the most ridiculous statements made on the subject.

Great traits, no doubt. But if the NFL teams are all lucky to have someone like that, won't they scramble to get him (draft him) before someone else does?

Now you are reaching. You've lost everyone of your arguments including the entitlement. If you don't think NFL teams would be lucky to have him that's fine with me and I'm sure it's fine with him. Luckly, the NFL has a grading system and teams have a value system. Like every other prospect Yearby will go through each system and it will be whatever it will be at that point. By the start of the season every player will know where they stand veterans, draftees and UDFA. There will be players signed and cut from each group. However, I feel very confident in Yearby to get drafted and/or make a teams roster.

He actually will come out of this thing in better shape for the long-term success than most RB's entering the draft including Cook. Yearby never took that beating and therefore is in much better condition for long-term success.

Surely, you can't be serious. Dalvin's vision, elusiveness, and everything else that makes him a once a decade player has him a top 5 pick in the draft. His extra 300 carries over Yearby's are of no consequence if you're wagering who earns more and plays longer in the NFL. One of the most ridiculous statements made on the subject.

What was the longest career for a starting FSU NFL RB since Warrick Dunn's retirement? I don't know why yawl keep challenging me. You don't know shoit about football and nor the life span at the RB position.

Last edited:
Advertisement

Now you are reaching. You've lost everyone of your arguments including the entitlement. If you don't think NFL teams would be lucky to have him that's fine with me and I'm sure it's fine with him. Luckly, the NFL has a grading system and teams have a value system. Like every other prospect Yearby will go through each system and it will be whatever it will be at that point. By the start of the season every player will know where they stand veterans, draftees and UDFA. There will be players signed and cut from each group. However, I feel very confident in Yearby to get drafted and/or make a teams roster.

I've lost the arguments? I won't lose this argument until every UDFA who leaves early proves us all wrong by having a 5+ year NFL career. I will always be right on this because there are always kids who leave early who are homeless and jobless at 25 because they chased a paycheck that wasn't there.

Now that we agree that you lost your last three arguments. Let's deal with your new argument for every UDFA who leaves early and getting a 5 plus year deal or career. Well my phone is blowing up all of the sudden from prior Canes who say where the **** was this guys campaign when they were UDFA's? Like if you can fix that issue for "every" UDFA, **** I'm all for that. However, as I have listed in each of my arguments they were specifically regarding Yearby. I think it is a no brainier and if you have any gripes you should consult Mark Richt and Thomas Brown for their decision to operate the RB position like they did. Chances are had they truly stuck to a one two punch with Walton and Yearby or rolled with the hot back like they did the first few games the fanbase would have been OK with Yearby deciding to leave early. By not doing that the fanbase is split and I'm sure Yearby feels like he got a raw deal at the end of an otherwise promising and yet beloved UM career.

Advertisement
Miami junior RB Joseph Yearby is expected to declare for the 2017 NFL Draft.

Yearby's role drastically declined from 2015 to 2016, but he did produce a 1,000 yard season as a sophomore. He worked behind Mark Walton all year, and even Gus Edwards starting seeing opportunities down the stretch. Yearby is likely a third day prospect at best.

Source: Rotoworld

What was the longest career for a starting FSU NFL RB since Warrick Dunn's retirement? I don't know why yawl keep challenging me. You don't know shoit about football and nor the life span at the RB position.

And clearly neither do you if you think Yearby is in any better position for long-term success in the NFL than Cook, all due respect to Joe.

The NFL doesn't care about what a nice guy one is and whether or not they are lucky to have such a wonderful hard working person. They care about results and their investment.

Let's play your game though: Cook's 300 extra carries translate into 1 to 1.5 years of NFL carries for a starting RB, and let's be real here, NFL carries and college carries are not the same thing. Cook is likely to be a high first round draft while Yearby is likely a very late round pick or an UDFA.

Do you want to guess what the longevity of a 1st round drafted NFL RB vs. an UDFA, I will be it is longer than 1 to 1.5 years just based on the investment.

It has nothing to do with the fact one went to FSU and those carriers aren't going to lead to him breaking down early in his career.

Which speaking of the investment will also be substantially in Dalvin's favor to the tunes of $ million in guarantees alone.

You're making some argument that Yearby is somehow in a better position to last in the NFL when in reality he is actually in the hardest.

Advertisement
Back