NFL Draft Money

TC7D

2000 Cane
With all the talk about Njoku, Kaaya, Yearby and the other players leaving / considering leaving early, I thought it would be good to share some actual data to support the argument that it is in Kaaya and Njoku's best interest to come back if not given a top 2 round grade. The below article sheds some light on the salary info by round. My view is that both currently are fairly high risk to get in the guaranteed money area (top 2nd rounds) and could likely improve their stock next year.

Regardless, it's helpful to see how fast those salaries fall off.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.businessinsider.com/nfl-draft-contract-values-2016-4?client=safari

Advertisement
our program takes a huge step forward with them returning and a beastly recruiting class which I believe we will get and they will get tons of play next year to greatly increase their draft status.

Said it before and I'll say it again.

Kaaya came into the season rated in the top 2 of a lot of mock drafts. Clearly, he has not played to live up to that standard. I think year and finally getting used to this offense will really help him.

Njoku: If Kaaya stays, then it should be a no-brainer for him to stay. He has another monster season and He's a top 20 pick.

Njoku should go pro. He's had a great year and needs to capitalize on it now. It can be dangerous to assume that you're always going to have a better year next year.

Advertisement
Have to get Njouka back - are WRs are really really weak after stacy leaves

I respectfully disagree. Ahmon is very good, Dayall is good, Berios has shined in spots, Mullins should know the playbook and be able to contribute by next season, Cager, etc. We're fine with WR's, it's our TE corps that will take a hit if David leaves.

It doesn't seem that likely that any of these guys will see the first round next year, so from a money standpoint does it matter? Kaaya has a shot, and maybe Njoku, but does anyone take TEs in the first round?

With all the talk about Njoku, Kaaya, Yearby and the other players leaving / considering leaving early, I thought it would be good to share some actual data to support the argument that it is in Kaaya and Njoku's best interest to come back if not given a top 2 round grade. The below article sheds some light on the salary info by round. My view is that both currently are fairly high risk to get in the guaranteed money area (top 2nd rounds) and could likely improve their stock next year.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.businessinsider.com/nfl-draft-contract-values-2016-4?client=safari

But these guys will tell you that it's smart for Yearby to leave because he might get practice squad money.

But these guys will tell you that it's smart for Yearby to leave because he might get practice squad money.

What is the scenario where the undersized RB who won't grow anymore and won't be starting next year to greatly improve his production over this year, markedly improves his draft status?

Advertisement
What is the scenario where the undersized RB who won't grow anymore and won't be starting next year to greatly improve his production over this year, markedly improves his draft status?

There isn't one, which is why you maybe shouldn't put all your eggs in the NFL basket. Leaving early to hopefully hang on as a practice squad player for a year isn't sound career advice.

There isn't one, which is why you maybe shouldn't put all your eggs in the NFL basket. Leaving early to hopefully hang on as a practice squad player for a year isn't sound career advice.

If you agree he isn't going to improve his stock, and unless you think he's going to or should decline the opportunity to play in the NFL after 2017, why should he wait to kick around on practice squads for a few years? Why risk an injury that prevents even that? Why give a year to UM for free when you can get paid $450k for it somewhere else?

Are you saying it would make more sense for him financially to come back for a year, get his degree in sports administration and then parlay that into one of the numerous jobs that pay more than $450k/yr., the first year out of college? If he bounces around the league for only two, three, or four years making half a million dollars per year or more would there be something that'd prevent him from finishing his degree up at UM or another school? After getting his degree at twenty-five, would he then be too old for one of those jobs that wanted to hire him when he was twenty-one?

If you agree he isn't going to improve his stock, and unless you think he's going to or should decline the opportunity to play in the NFL after 2017, why should he wait to kick around on practice squads for a few years? Why risk an injury that prevents even that? Why give a year to UM for free when you can get paid $450k for it somewhere else?

Are you saying it would make more sense for him financially to come back for a year, get his degree in sports administration and then parlay that into one of the numerous jobs that pay more than $450k/yr., the first year out of college? If he bounces around the league for only two, three, or four years making half a million dollars per year or more would there be something that'd prevent him from finishing his degree up at UM or another school? After getting his degree at twenty-five, would he then be too old for one of those jobs that wanted to hire him when he was twenty-one?

Wait, wut? Practice squad guys don't get $450,000 per year. They get like $7,000 a week and those guys are cut daily.

$450,000. SMH.

$450 grand is the minimum salary if you make the actual 53 man roster. Practice squad players don't make near that much. Some practice squad guys (usually quarterbacks with a few years experience) will make over $10 grand a week for the 17 week NFL season. Most make between $5K and $8K a week. So if Yearby was to manage to make a team's practice squad and make it through the season, (lots of practice squad guys get dumped after a few weeks) he'd be looking at around $100k before taxes and agent fees. Really good money for someone right out of school but it's hardly a long term deal. Most fringe NFL players are lucky to stick around more than a year. Also, the practice squad paychecks aren't contractually guaranteed. If your team decides it would rather use one if it's practice squad spots on someone else, they can cut you and not pay you another penny.

Advertisement
Wait, wut? Practice squad guys don't get $450,000 per year. They get like $7,000 a week and those guys are cut daily.

$450,000. SMH.

You're right. Although the $6,900/wk. is also a minimum. My assumption was that he'd either be drafted or make the roster as a UDFA. My point remains, if you're as ready as you'll ever be for an NFL career, and if you don't try it this year you're going to try it in 2017 what is the argument for waiting?

$450,000. SMH.

You're right. Although the $6,900/wk. is also a minimum. My assumption was that he'd either be drafted or make the roster as a UDFA. My point remains, if you're as ready as you'll ever be for an NFL career, and if you don't try it this year you're going to try it in 2017 what is the argument for waiting?

Maybe it's my white privilege talking, but I think you get the degree now. It's easy to say that you can always go back and finish the degree, but most guys don't do it because they go right back to being a full time student with no income.

The main point should be that he can always come back to UM and earn his degree for free. I haven't heard any limitations to that deal. So, if he's not going to improve his draft stock next year, and thinks he has a chance to stick around some practice squads or even make a team, why not take that shot? His downside is coming back to UM later on and earning the same degree he'd earn if he stayed for next year. Additionally, we have no idea where he stands with credits.

Advertisement
The main point should be that he can always come back to UM and earn his degree for free. I haven't heard any limitations to that deal. So, if he's not going to improve his draft stock next year, and thinks he has a chance to stick around some practice squads or even make a team, why not take that shot? His downside is coming back to UM later on and earning the same degree he'd earn if he stayed for next year. Additionally, we have no idea where he stands with credits.

People are saying he has a family so needs to go. Well if he doesn't make it then it becomes even harder to make room for school the older those kids get. Also he no longer gets any perks from being on the team. No more free room, free food, etc. Also if he leaves early is he going to just give it a year or is he going to try and push it out for a few years and only focus on being in football shape in case some team happens to call?

If he leaves then I hope he makes it, but it seems like a really big boom or bust gamble.

Research shows that most guys don't take advantage of that. Like Pantera said, he won't have the tutors or the scheduling priority or the free room and board or any of the perks he has now. So if the NFL thing turns out to be a few months of practice squad checks, how is he going to be able to support the family as a full time student at UM?

Good post... I laugh when I see people on boards saying about players "they need to go get paid".. I'm not sure what these people think 100K and a 3K signing bonus gets you when you play on a practice squad. This is terrible money.. Yes its good if you play for 10 years but if you have a chance to get drafted high and make real money you need to stay. All those guys that left early in Goldens first year most are not playing any more. Miller and Vernon would have left anyway but the rest are doing nothing. None of these guys are "getting paid"... someone needs to teach them what paying bills looks like and raising a family. 100K for two years gets you nothing.

These are the same naysayers that doubt how good the team is when we beat marginal teams. Same naysayers when we beat quality teams. Reset pushers when we get exposed by dominate teams. Same **** people who say we will lose the rest of the season games.

At some point in your life you have to step out on faith. This young man came to the U when Duke Johnson was here. Most RB's rated as high as him avoided that type of competition and chose another school. He competed with Johnson who went down as the U's all time rusher and commanded playing time as a freshman. I have no doubt that he has the talent, heart and determination to make it in the NFL. Yawl have to understand that the adult decision that he has to make comes much sooner than most college graduates. He's on the clock.

He actually will come out of this thing in better shape for the long-term success than most RB's entering the draft including Cook. Yearby never took that beating and therefore is in much better condition for long-term success. You can look at most RB's that this U has put out there; U built to last. And Yearby must be in a good place with God because he stepped out on faith; competed, earned playing time, became a starter, rushed for over a 1,000 yrds, have a good shot at making a NFL team even as some of U have said he's the fourth best RB on a 8-4 team with a starting RB that can't seem to keep his balance to safe his own life.

At the end of the day, whatever money he get's be it $5 or $5 million it will be that much more than he already has.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back