NFL Draft NFL Combine Thread

Advertisement
Cook n Hester are unreal with that...dont care if they ran 4.6's...their acceleration is next level n unmatched.

James doesnt have that....he does have better route running ability n hands though

Not at their same level in the Pros. But I felt the same way about Duke. Hope the new staff with the Fins re-signs and features him.

Big winners from that I've seen so far...(I've only see DL/OL)

All of these guys are no duh players...but those are the ones that (IMO) really win at the combine...when top talents with top production test at the top, you can usually rest easy you've got a player. The safer a player, the more they won the offseason, IMO.

Aidan Hutchinson...hit the big key marker, the 3-Cone. Force Player. Tested like Joey Bosa with bend.
Jordan Davis and Travon Walker...solidified helium draft stock. Davis tested like the greatest athletic freak of all time. For Walker, hit the key 3-Cone. Tested like Myles Garrett, but doesnt play like him. Draft Twitter saying he could be Rashaun Gary. Maybe. He'll be a guy everyone thinks is a Top 10 type of pick, but people will vary wildly on what they think he'll be in the NFL.

I think the OL class was getting elevated because of the need by the Jaguars...and while Jacksonville may go OL...I thought the EDGE and DL talent is the cut above talent in this year's draft at the top. I think Evan Neal really needs to test like an athletic freak (possible) to compete with these freaks on the front four. I don't think the highest OL in attendance (Cross, Ekwanu) tested particularly well, but I did like Ekwonu on tape.

A deeper cut, but Travis Jones from UConn probably going to collect a few paychecks in the NFL. Big guy, athletic, and has produced as an interior guy against some of the best competition he's faced (sacks v. the likes of UCF, Purdue, Cincy, etc.). Supposedly blew everybody up at the Senior Bowl practices.

On the OL...
Zion Johnson...game tape now matched by a key marker with a sub 4.48 shuttle. Best guard in the draft. Second best iOL. Will start many games in the NFL.
Kellen Diesch from Arizona State...was a projected Day 2 guy, probably still is, but hit a sub 4.48 shuttle. Will start many games in the NFL.
Bernhard Raimann...4.49 shuttle...set an alert for his pro day to see if he gets to the number. Will start many games in the NFL.

Last edited:
Advertisement

All of these guys are no duh players...but those are the ones that (IMO) really win at the combine...when top talents with top production test at the top, you can usually rest easy you've got a player. The safer a player, the more they won the offseason, IMO.

Aidan Hutchinson...hit the big key marker, the 3-Cone. Force Player. Tested like Joey Bosa with bend.
Jordan Davis and Travon Walker...solidified helium draft stock. Davis tested like the greatest athletic freak of all time. For Walker, hit the key 3-Cone. Tested like Myles Garrett, but doesnt play like him. Draft Twitter saying he could be Rashaun Gary. Maybe. He'll be a guy everyone thinks is a Top 10 type of pick, but people will vary wildly on what they think he'll be in the NFL.

I think the OL class was getting elevated because of the need by the Jaguars...and while Jacksonville may go OL...I thought the EDGE and DL talent is the cut above talent in this year's draft at the top. I think Evan Neal really needs to test like an athletic freak (possible) to compete with these freaks on the front four. I don't think the highest OL in attendance (Cross, Ekwanu) tested particularly well, but I did like Ekwonu on tape.

On the OL...
Zion Johnson...game tape now matched by a key marker with a sub 4.48 shuttle. Best guard in the draft. Second best iOL. Will start many games in the NFL.
Kellen Diesch from Arizona State...was a projected Day 2 guy, probably still is, but hit a sub 4.48 shuttle. Will start many games in the NFL.
Bernhard Raimann...4.49 shuttle...set an alert for his pro day to see if he gets to the number. Will start many games in the NFL.

Have any of our invites shown anything?

On the OL...
What is considered a good 3 cone or shuttle and how does it translate to the pros?

What is considered a good 3 cone or shuttle and how does it translate to the pros?
For OL, the 20 shuttle shows balance, flexibility, and acceleration. There is a long list of success stories in every round with OL that have a sub 4.48 in that test.

For DL, the 3-Cone is a good measure of bend and change of direction. 6.89 and under is a good number, especially when the player has other explosion tests. A guy back in the day on footballsfuture took a deep dive on this metric many years ago and its been one used to help identify some guys at the top that will be worth the draft pick as well as identify sleepers in the mid-late rounds.

Advertisement
Speed means different things for different positions. The forty matters because it measures how fast you “can be” under optimal conditions and in comparison to your peers under those same conditions. The actual game is a different set of conditions, however.

DBs can “lower” or “raise” their speed by how quickly they read and react to the play as it develops. Same with LBs, defense in general, its all about the efficiency of your reaction within the confines of the play. And even there it really matters within a window of about a half second, so fast we often compare it to “instincts”. Now, a 5.4 guy can’t suddenly become a 4.5 guy, but it’s why we all see dudes who “play faster/slower”.

On offense it’s more how quickly you get fast, how well you see/find the hole, and how decisively your body responds to that information. You have to be elusive and fast, because teams will find a way to mitigate your speed if you aren’t also elusive. Often times the play comes down to the same half second window. For some guys it’s like a force power, they feel the opportunity almost as it’s happening — or they’re such a good student they know the opportunity will likely be where it ultimately is before it materializes. That’s why so many blazers are not the best WR/RB, because the game is not a track meet. Or guys who aren’t sub 4.5 can get open like crazy.

Your 40 time is valuable information and therefore matters. It can establish whether or not the player has a chance to compete athletically on the level of his peers. It can also give you an idea if the player has a unique advantage should his speed translate to the rule set of the game. Pound for pound though, I think we’d all take the star system as more predictive than 40 times.

(Also these UGA guys’ times are bonkers)

Advertisement
Advertisement
He’s not a track athlete, you can tell he’s trying to run as fast as possible & not just taking off.

4.52 is very good time for him considering he had a bad start & he’s not a natural speed demon.

Ahmad Gardner has a lot of Chris McAlister to his game.
At that height and with his hips and just feel for the game 4.52 plenty good.

Advertisement
Back