NFL Black Monday/Firings

If he doesn't get hired this cycle ...

Running that high-powered, Mahomes-led offense, gotta wonder why he hasn't been hired. Does he interview poorly? Make too many demands?
I think a lot of owners and people in general think his success is more about Mahomes and less about him plus it's Andy Reid's offense.

I do think he deserves an opportunity as he has learned under Reid for quite a while beginning as Reid's RB coach for my Philadelphia Eagles.

Advertisement
Flores had his flaws, but he inherited one of the worse rosters in NFL history, and made them respectable.

BIG misses at the QB position (probably would've been better off just riding with Fitz) and just some head scratching Assistant Coaching decisions, but he didn't deserve to get fired imo.

Ross has to be all in on Harbaugh, if he hasn't already secured a deal or agreement.

I'm just shocked they're keeping Grier if they fired Flores.

The QB thing was huge. There had to be some behind the scenes things in play - maybe part of that power struggle. The way Flo treated Tua for 2 years told me all i needed to know about his feelings. Regardless of his feelings, he can't treat his young franchise QB like that. You are doing no favors killing the kid's confidence and acceptance as the future QB.

The assistant coaching hires were an enormous fail. It was a revolving door of guys, many unqualified. That falls on him. There's obviously more to it but he is not without fault. I expected both guys to be gone bc Grier has botched a LOT more than Flo, but if it was only 1 guy, i would have expected Grier to be gone with Flo getting 1 more shot.

I'd love to know more about those behind the scene things.

Advertisement
Well Im still on the Flores bandwagon. I dont think he is the problem. Grier is the big problem and the one who game Flores the squad he has to work with.

I agree that Flores still needs to work out some things with his staff. He is a young coach. The defense looked really good the 2nd half of the year. So Im not sure where you can point too on that side of the staff and say he really screwed up or needs to deliver pink slips. Im all for upgrading anywhere, but I think some continuity on defense has been earned. I said in another thread that the OL coach Jeanpierre (cant remember his name) needs to go.

He's a good defensive coach - i won't argue that part. Guys play hard for him - won't deny that either. His defense was fun to watch and really stepped up at times, but it was definitely not all world. They gave up an average of 31.4 points in their 8 losses. It was a boom or bust D, leading the NFL in QB hits and 5th in sacks (2nd highest blitz rate) but 21st in yards per carry, 20st in 3rd down conversion %, and 21st in yards after catch. Again, fun to watch but very boom/bust, especially against good teams.

The defense looked good the 2nd half bc the QBs they played were garbage, outside Lamar. The rest of the names were Wilson, Flacco, Taylor, Book, Glennon, Newton/Walker and Mac&Cheese.

But you heard the rumors about working with him, then saw the revolving door staffs (and players). It's not a surprise he took the fall if he was in fact difficult with communication and working together. After the Tua bs, the who's calling plays stuff and the overall Belichick-like aversion to responding to anything, i'm not surprised. The surprise is keeping Grier. That guy is a mess at the helm. If i was giving one of those 1 more year, it was Flo.

Chicago Bears rumors I am hearing (strictly casual street talk, so take it for what it's worth... which is nothing) is that they are giving Tom Herman a look and they also like Jim Harbaugh.

Herman already is on Bears staff in an Analyst role... which likely already only hurt him professionally considering the play calling Nagy has done
Harbaugh is a former Bear with prior success in the NFL

Personally ... I don't like either and don't feel the people they likely hire will amount to much anyway. Bears have always been cheap... they need to sell the team to someone who wants to win.

Advertisement
He still Lamar Jackson he's inaccurate af. Great runner one of the best ever but u have to be able to be accurate alot. Alot of WRs and guys ain't running hard when they think u running all the time.....and it's tiring af scrambling and running alot LJ got to be winded when he's driving the ball. As a Giants fan I wanted LJ but thought to myself will he win games? Yes but will he handicap your franchise with a huge contract and then u can't get anyone else. I would take being competitive though....he's exciting too.
Our Giants are a disgrace to the NFL

What's wrong with His Michigan work? The guy has won more games than both of His predecessors combined.
This is the thing that gets me nervous about Mario to be honest. Harbaugh had such massive expectations on him that it’s been nearly impossible to meet them. Feels like we are setting Mario up for something similar.

Advertisement
Advertisement
I heard a rumor that Belichick may bolt New England after the season. Especially if they lose to the Bills again.

I know he still has a soft spot in his heart for the Giants after watching the Two Bills ESPN 30 for 30.

Season 3 Smiling GIF by The Simpsons

Advertisement
Back