Next year pre-season ranking of UM and effect of Mark Richt

always a lot of talk but you never add anything meaningful to the board. You just go around hoping coaches fail and claiming anyone who speaks reason is a "slurper" or "soft shouldered"

Stop projecting, you are the definition of soft shouldered. Anyone with half a brain knew golden was **** the 1st ******* season. All I heard from mopes like you were just wait, wait and see what he does. 2nd and 3rd season same **** bull****. You wouldn't know Cane football if it bit you in the **** ***.

Hoping for failure??? Again your projecting your soft shoulder fandom. We paid your hero 2.5 mil to crap the bad and he did.

We are paying Richt 4+ mil to hit a homerun. He understands what is ahead of him and he will do his best and I'll judge him on that. I "hope" he meets my and many our non-soft shouldered fans expectations.

I'm sure you will be looking for any opportunity to get on your knees and suck him off.

I'm here for Cane football, not looking to to make up excuses to keep the latest lame HC in power when he should be fired.

Advertisement
We have a soft schedule and enough talent to win. If we don't, that is on Richt.

Exactly. He has 8 months to get this turned around and it isn't like we have no talent. The minimum is 10 wins and playing in the ACC ship.

You're tripping. I'm not saying he can't get that many wins, but to say that's the expectation is kinda crazy. How long has it been since we won 10 games in a season? And y'all just expect him to change everything overnights? At least give the guy until next season before you start calling for championships. And we actually don't have as much talent as you think we do. We are barely more talented than other ACC teams, and it's with guys Golden recruited and fattened up to fit his scheme. What Jim Harbaugh did shouldn't be the expectation, it's the best case scenario.

NO, you're tripping. My expectations don't change just because we had 3 horrid hires. We are still the U. We had the talent to win 10 games this year with an average staff. We are upgrading beyond that. Take your soft shoulder BS and hit the road... We are going old school. None of this pansy *** crap anymore.

You're expectations don't change after over a decade of sucking and being in year 1 of a new HC, after our previous HC absolutely sucked. We had talented recruits under him. But he barely developed talent, taught them ****** schemes, implemented a loser mentality, and beefed them up. If you can't temper your expectations for 1 yr, you're just being ignorant

Richt has the right pedigree for the job, so why would my expectaations change? The ACC coastal is weak and we should be dominating it. Its not asking much to win it next year. You guys are so goldenized you haven't a ******* clue what is reasonable. Always looking for the next excuse...

We have done nothing to deserve to be ranked next year.

Bumping an old thread.

Twenty five posters up voted this quoted post although very early preseason ranking has NOTHING to do with doing anything to deserve anything. It is all about projection. It is about what you think will happen. I started this thread merely to reflect on the immediate effect of hiring a coach with a "statue". Someone with respect in the business and respect among his peers.

US Today:Projecting college football's top 25 teams for 2016

Dennis Dodd: Way too early College Football Power Rankings for 2016: Lots of SEC

Last edited:
Part of the problem is that the Canes won't get any Quality Points untll they beat FSU. Then they have to play ND in South Bend.

Tall order, that.

Advertisement
Part of the problem is that the Canes won't get any Quality Points untll they beat FSU. Then they have to play ND in South Bend.

Tall order, that.

We should win one of those games...i hope.

Even if we don't win either, we should fare well the rest of the schedule with maybe VT being our only test since unc lost Williams.

Finishing 10-2 or 9-3 at worst will have us ranked

Tall order, that.
without Ronnie Stanley though...I think that game is closer than people think

Bumping an old thread.

Twenty five posters up voted this quoted post although very early preseason ranking has NOTHING to do with doing anything to deserve anything. It is all about projection. It is about what you think will happen. I started this thread merely to reflect on the immediate effect of hiring a coach with a "statue". Someone with respect in the business and respect among his peers.

Dennis Dodd: Way too early College Football Power Rankings for 2016: Lots of SEC

I struggle to see your point. I said we haven't proved anything in recent years that would lead people to believe we should be a top 25 team.

For you to say that pre-season polls do not mostly correlate with program prestige is ridiculous. Look at all the SEC teams that were in the pre-season top 25 this past year because they are perceived as strong programs

I'm not saying that we don't deserve to be in the top 25; however, I think pre-season polls are pointless, and anyone who wastes their time analyzing them, needs to settle down.

Bumping an old thread.

I struggle to see your point. I said we haven't proved anything in recent years that would lead people to believe we should be a top 25 team.

For you to say that pre-season polls do not mostly correlate with program prestige is ridiculous. Look at all the SEC teams that were in the pre-season top 25 this past year because they are perceived as strong programs

I'm not saying that we don't deserve to be in the top 25; however, I think pre-season polls are pointless, and anyone who wastes their time analyzing them, needs to settle down.

You chose to struggle seeing my point while it being very simple. The point? Mark Richt added immediate respect to our program that I thought would result in the name "Miami" suddenly appearing in the top 25 preseason ranking. Whether those rankings relevant or not is beside the point. I actually clearly stated in my original post that they are meaningless. However my point still stands, which is, a lot of the preseason ranking has to do with how people respect the head coach and what he can do year after year. And what I expected when I started the thread already happening. Borrowing from the Palm Beach Post article:

Wrote Dodd:

No. 13 Miami: Mark Richt was the best hire of the silly season — Cane legacy, accomplished coach, recruiting chops. Richt inherits a quarterback (Brad Kaaya) who should light it up in his third season. Even better, Richt gets the core of the offensive line back.

Myerberg:

No. 21 Miami: The arrival of Mark Richt inspires hope that Miami will play up to its potential. That was an issue under Richt’s predecessor, Al Golden, but look for the former Georgia coach to find immediate success at his alma mater. It helps to have a quarterback,Brad Kaaya, who rivals Deshaun Watson for the title of the ACC’s best.

D’Angelo:

No. 23 Miami: One of more intriguing storylines of the year will be Mark Richt’s return to his alma mater and what that means for quarterback Brad Kaaya. Miami has talent, but doesn’t it always? Now it’s up to Richt to get the most out of that talent.

Mandel:

25. Miami: The ’Canes showed a pulse after Al Golden’s dismissal and should only get better under new coach Mark Richt. That starts with third-year QB Brad Kaaya, RB Joe Yearby and five returning O-line starters. The defense should be better up front but may struggle in the secondary.

Think of it this way: Would we have the slightest chance in **** to appear anywhere in the preseason ranking has Golden been retained for one more year, everything else the same?

Last edited:
Advertisement

Bumping an old thread.

You chose to struggle seeing my point while it being very simple. The point? Mark Richt added immediate respect to our program that I thought would result in the name "Miami" suddenly appearing in the top 25 preseason ranking. Whether those rankings relevant or not is beside the point. I actually clearly stated in my original post that they are meaningless. However my point still stands, which is, a lot of the preseason ranking has to do with how people respect the head coach and what he can do year after year. And what I expected when I started the thread already happening. Borrowing from the Palm Beach Post article:

Wrote Dodd:

No. 13 Miami: Mark Richt was the best hire of the silly season — Cane legacy, accomplished coach, recruiting chops. Richt inherits a quarterback (Brad Kaaya) who should light it up in his third season. Even better, Richt gets the core of the offensive line back.

Myerberg:

No. 21 Miami: The arrival of Mark Richt inspires hope that Miami will play up to its potential. That was an issue under Richt’s predecessor, Al Golden, but look for the former Georgia coach to find immediate success at his alma mater. It helps to have a quarterback,Brad Kaaya, who rivals Deshaun Watson for the title of the ACC’s best.

D’Angelo:

No. 23 Miami: One of more intriguing storylines of the year will be Mark Richt’s return to his alma mater and what that means for quarterback Brad Kaaya. Miami has talent, but doesn’t it always? Now it’s up to Richt to get the most out of that talent.

Mandel:

25. Miami: The ’Canes showed a pulse after Al Golden’s dismissal and should only get better under new coach Mark Richt. That starts with third-year QB Brad Kaaya, RB Joe Yearby and five returning O-line starters. The defense should be better up front but may struggle in the secondary.

Think of it this way: Would we have the slightest chance in **** to appear anywhere in the preseason ranking has Golden been retained for one more year, everything else the same?

I think we agree, and I don't even understand why were bickering haha.

My prediction for next season: ppl on this site have way too high of expectations after year 1. We don't win the ACC, slim chance of winning the Coastal.
I think Richt has a harder task undoing all of Goldens trash than we realize. He beefed everyone the **** up and taught then a *****y mentality. And every year they quit after they get eliminated from the ACC championship. Richt has to change everything about this team.
And yes I get Harbaugh did it, but that was extremely unlikely, Harbaugh is just an amazing coach, probably the best in the entire NCAA.

Think it takes 3-5 years to get Albortion's stink off of this team. We might win the ACC title in three years time, but having to play established powers like FSU and Clemson will make it tough.

Preseason ratings in college sports are awesome. I have to laugh at anyone who denounces them. They offer amazing clarity late in the regular season and during the postseason. I can't imagine betting college football or college basketball without those numbers.

Everything tends to drift back to the beginning. That's the beauty of those rankings. You are betting on the preseason evaluation of talent level and coaching, etc. while all the conventional wisdom dunces are fixated on irrelevant results. Once those two variables collide and the line has been adjusted in favor of the results and not the early assessment, it's remarkable how often the preseason numbers prevail.

As always, I'm looking for more often than not. Tough racket, this projection stuff. Anything that provides a 5-10% edge is pure gold. On sports forums like this there are always the loud types who don't care about more often that not. They somehow think it's brilliant to isolate the one or two or whatever counter examples in which the preseason numbers faltered. Then they shout that example and expect everyone to bow. Yep, they verified that nothing is 100% reliable. Well done. Maybe I'll write that down.

That type is laughed out of the room in settings I frequent, where the math is understood. But on sites like this somehow it's popular to spotlight the exceptions and pretend there is even a fleck of significance. It requires no talent or insight to find the exceptions. I don't care if third down screens succeed once in a while. I know the wide scope numbers. I don't care if a team with a lousy pass defense sneaks beyond the normal wall once in a while. I know the overall percentages.

Advertisement
Back