Next steps

I am cautiously optimistic about the WRs. We have seen enough there that we will be okay. Even without a true #1.

LBs and speed/size on DL is by far more concerning and I don't think we've really addressed either of those more glaring issues. I think the benefit of a good portal addition there helps this team more than a WR.

Advertisement
I see it hasn’t been mentioned but I’m curious to see how Romello develops as we get into the fall. Patient to see how he performs during camp.

I see it hasn’t been mentioned but I’m curious to see how Romello develops as we get into the fall. Patient to see how he performs during camp.
Always like him the most out of our 20 and 21 WR signees but by all account George has shown more thus far, and he isn't anything special. Had/have high hopes for Brinson.

I love Chaney - but Duke is too high a standard to expect. Especially coming off an ACL.

If Chaney can be Deejay Dallas we should be happy.
I specifically said a "healthy" Don, which would include a full recovery from his ACL. In my opinion, being the most complete since Duke is not being as good as Duke. His ceiling is higher than Deejay, IMO.

I’m just a fan offering an opinion, but this is how things look to me:

QB: A​
RB: B​
WR: C-​
TE: A+​
OL: C+​
DT: D​
DE: C-​
LB: D-​
S: A-​
Nickel: B+​
CB: B+​

Overall: C+

I'm not quite as concerned about WR as some, but thankfully, the impressive TE room can help offset some relative weaknesses there (I like George & X in particular, and I’m optimistic that at least one or two of Key, Breshard, Romelo, and Ladson will splash, but I can see needing some depth). 2 TE sets or using Skinner out wide can make a big difference. If necessary, there’s no reason someone like Malik Curtis can’t make the switch from DB to WR and add another capable set of hands to the depth chart (he caught the ball well in HS, and is a speedy talent - and would be in a better position to play than if he stayed at CB).

Adding an experienced LB and a big DT from the portal (plus maybe an OT, a second LB, and a fast WR), along with continued quality coaching, can potentially push us into B territory. Definitely good enough for a weak ACC (and especially the Coastal) but likely not good enough for the big boys.

As much as I’d love to put on some orange and green shades and make a run year one, that’s unrealistic. We are an 8-win team right now. With portal help and some coaching tweaks, we’ll be a 9-win squad - with a chance to contend for an ACC title and crack the top 15 to end the year. I’d be ecstatic with that result. The good news is: the future is very bright.

Speculation is what the pre-season is all about... but what do I know? I'm just happy we have a legit staff and the school seems to care about winning again!
Are you grading the team on the field at the spring game or the known team availability this fall (barring injuries)?

Advertisement
I specifically said a "healthy" Don, which would include a full recovery from his ACL. In my opinion, being the most complete since Duke is not being as good as Duke. His ceiling is higher than Deejay, IMO.

No I get all that, and I'm not saying you're wrong. I just cringe when I see Duke comparisons. I know you're not saying he's as good as Duke.

I guess it's what your definition of "complete" is. IMO - Chaney is faster than Deejay, but Deejay was bigger, better receiver, more versatile & productive, and more recent.

I probably have a higher opinion of Deejay Dallas than most. My hope for Chaney is he's Deejay with a little more speed. I'd take that all day.

I think people are overreacting a little to the WR issue. Sure, the group could use a speedy target. But it's not a bad WR group. Some of the people on this board are making it sound like this is the year we trotted out Khalil Jones and the punter (Brian Monroe) as our top 2 WR's. This group has talent.

They did not have a good spring game, but I still think a group of Restrepo, K Smith, George, Brinson (who was out), B Smith, Ladson, Redding/Worsham (I doubt both will stay), and Horton is a solid rotation. There's likely no superstar in that group, but we have some diverse weapons. I would love to add a speedy vertical WR, but I don't think the situation is as dire as some are making it out to be.
No, people aren’t overreacting. As I’ve posted multiple times the wr group has been very meh through camp. Very inconsistent , all of them. That’s concerning beens most looked elsewhere as bigger concerns with the roster. Wr all though not loaded I still expected a lot more. So did the coaches.

LoL, so essentially the same talent but this top college staff produces 1 more win off an extremely poorly coached (worst in P5) team that lost 3 conference games literally on the last series. Okay.

The defensive front was missing a bunch of guys who will be in the two deep (like half) this fall--Harvey, Moultrie, Harrison-Hunte and Agude. You can expect another DT and DE and two linebackers this fall from the portal.
Roberts too

Excuse Me Reaction GIF by One Chicago
DT is an issue we will just have to deal with until we recruit some legit DT's. Moten will be a necessary addition and if he can come in and give us some stout play in practice then I think he'll get playing time. None of this happens over night and time on our side.
I don't think Jake and LT are what I would call 'undersized'... not in a 4-3 at least. Lean? Sure, but undersized?

We will be scheme-dependent until we start growing 3-4 DE's on trees and start finding Bama-sized NT's... until then I expect us to probably play to what we have.
People haven't updated their brains for football played in the 2020s. Aaron Donald is by far the best dt on the planet and he goes 6'1" and weighs 280. I guess he's too undersized to be any good.

Advertisement
WR is absolutely a concern, but a MUCH bigger indicator on a W/L record is a defensive front 7.

IMO the folks in this thread trying to relate the WR performances to jockey with the number of wins we'll have are foolish. If we win 8 games, it won't be because the WR group held the rest of the team back.

We have MAJOR problems on the defensive front 7. So yes, it's worth talking about the entire roster and of course we're trying to fill multiple holes, but if I'm Mario, my first concern is improving the front 7 on defense. We're not gonna win a ******* thing if those kids get steamrolled all season, I don't care if you have 4 Andre Johnsons emerge during the summer.

I have a different take on our wide receivers. I think we spread the reps and the ball around a lot this spring to give every guy a reasonable shot. The top tier will be whittled down to 5-6 wrs who will see the early fall action. More reps with the smaller group will produce good results. Coupled with an apparent ability to at least adequately run the ball and get a first down when need a yard or two, I think we will put up a ton of points.

No, people aren’t overreacting. As I’ve posted multiple times the wr group has been very meh through camp. Very inconsistent , all of them. That’s concerning beens most looked elsewhere as bigger concerns with the roster. Wr all though not loaded I still expected a lot more. So did the coaches.
Thanks for the insight. I trust what you and @Liberty City El enough to raise my concern levels. I expected the 3 amigos to step up big time.

You would lump Restrepo in the inconsistent group as well?

Advertisement
Welcome to the year 2022. The best DTs in the world aren't 325# guys. They are 280-300 fast and strong.
Generally an even front defense will line their defensive tackles up at the 1 technique position (between the C and G) and 3 technique position between the G and T on the other side) Usually the 3 technique guy is your playmaker. The guy who gets into the backfield and shoots gaps like an Aaron Donald or Warren Sapp. The 1 technique guy needs to be stout. His main job is to not be moved off his spot. If he can command double teams, even better. He needs to keep both the C and the G occupied and not allow them to move to the second level and block the linebackers. The responsibilities change based on down and distance and personnel packages but every good gap shooting DT has a double team commanding partner who doesn't get any glory. Our issue on the defensive line right now is that we don't have anyone who's proven capable of playing the 1 tech spot. We've got a bunch of 3 tech guys and converted 3/4 DEs playing DT right now. We don't necessarily need that 350 lb NT that a lot of the classic odd front defenses use but we're going to need Jordan Miller or Jake Lichtenstein or someone to play that center/guard gap and he can't be a little guy who gets pushed around.

We need LBs ,DE, and OL and I think we are in good position going forward. We need atleast 2 LB.

It's not even so much that the WR core is BAD but you don't waste a QB like TVD with a WR core that has like 35 career catches as group.

We can add 2 portal WR as far as I'm concerned and if it causes us to lose a keyshawn smith to transfer its unfortunate but oh well

Advertisement
The ol dusty Ferrari sitting in our garage. The speed, burst, vision, side to side and reckless abandon.

We have all these differing running-back types, but Chaney is the most complete of them all when healthy.

I had to remind myself and watch his tape.

What was Chaneys injury? Was it ACL? dude looks different in that one clip than any RB we have

What was Chaneys injury? Was it ACL? dude looks different in that one clip than any RB we have

It was an ACL tear. But he's young and he's surrounded by a great rehab staff at UM.

Albeit, he will probably only play in the 2nd half of the season. Still, it will be a welcomed addition.

Advertisement
Back