Next steps

All we heard was the WRs are doing business in practice and then comes the spring games and that can’t get any separation at the LOS?

Last edited:
Advertisement
Honesty if Likens was still here I’d have confidence that by season’s start we’d have a true #1.

This time last year we were all saying Rambo had ground to make up to be that guy because his spring game, while productive, was pretty much the result of getting more balls thrown his way and thus having more catches. He did not blow anyone away.

I am extremely interested in how the current group develops by TAMU and the ACC slate. Until then I will be wondering if we downgraded at the WR coach position, because IMO Likens got results with guys who put in the work. I think we have a few guys who are as talented as Rambo still on the team, it remains to be seen if we can get any of them to his level by Fall.
It takes me back to 2020 when we had no number one and brevin at TE was the top guy. Harley stepped up about halfway in the season. And I agree I think brinson is just as talented as Rambo if not more. He is 6’2 with good speed and can go up and get the ball

Brian Balom's dad just posted this on H1H's Youtube during a live stream:

1650335299588.png

D$ do you still think Leonard Taylor has 1st rd ability at DT if he’s considered undersized?

Coming out of HS he was a can’t miss 5 Star DT and best DL prospect from SoFla in years. Do you think he was overrated and his size will prevent him from being a true dominate DT?

Similar with Chaney. Thought he looked like a tier 1 RB Who could go rd 1-3 as a freshman. Now we’re talking about him as 4th on the depth chart and potentially passed by an incoming freshman?

These two guys had 5 star potential coming out of HS in SoFla. What happened
Don’t think anything bad happened i think LT put on too much bad weight last year because the staff were gonna put him at DE, now he lost all that weight and has to put it back on with muscle.

Chaney showed early round potential he just hasn’t been healthy and we have other good RBs

Last edited:
Advertisement
Honesty if Likens was still here I’d have confidence that by season’s start we’d have a true #1.

This time last year we were all saying Rambo had ground to make up to be that guy because his spring game, while productive, was pretty much the result of getting more balls thrown his way and thus having more catches. He did not blow anyone away.

I am extremely interested in how the current group develops by TAMU and the ACC slate. Until then I will be wondering if we downgraded at the WR coach position, because IMO Likens got results with guys who put in the work. I think we have a few guys who are as talented as Rambo still on the team, it remains to be seen if we can get any of them to his level by Fall.
Gattis is a better WR coach than Likens…I think Gattis is a better WR coach than he is an OC.

We have guys as talented as rambo but they aren’t in the same offense that rambo played in, thats the big difference. Its hard to not produce as an outside WR in lashlee’s offense because you’re gonna get alot of opportunities because the offense is built around you

Rhett offense works outside->inside
Gattis offense works inside->outside

Thank you. And the year before at OU, Rambo was an absolute afterthought. Rambo was very good for us, but his draft position will show that he was not unbelievable, much like KJ Osborne. Guys you definitely want but not guys who make or break a season.
draft position has nothing to do with anything here...**** KJ osborn is currently outplaying alot of guys drafted above him. You would have to go in the 1st and 2nd rounds to find wrs that are playing to his level currently.

The ol dusty Ferrari sitting in our garage. The speed, burst, vision, side to side and reckless abandon.

We have all these differing running-back types, but Chaney is the most complete of them all when healthy.

I had to remind myself and watch his tape.

A healthy Don is the most complete back we’ve had since Duke.

Advertisement
I like the kid Citizen but he’s young! I stand on Chaney (if healthy & that’s a big if)being the best/most talented back on the team. I Keep asking, what’s up wit Hykeem Williams? How does a kid go from being at every home game last year & being on Campus like he’s already committed to not even showing up for the spring game? He just doesn’t even show up period anymore? There’s no way Gattis doesn’t like his skills as a receiver Pause. Something fishy is going on. Great write up though @DMoney

Last edited:
I am not as concerned as others are on the receivers. The focus in the spring game was on the run game imo, as the play calls went into that direction. We didnt run a single screen to HBs or WRs, we didnt run bubble passes, we didnt do any of that. So scheme-wise, it was far from what we will run. Plus, guys were missing.

Added to that, I think the secondary played really well. We can talk about all we want, but even when we had guys open, the defense flew to the ball and tackled really well. They went after Ivey several times and he was on the receivers heels all the time. Frierson and Avantae chased down stuff with full speed. Dunson played a perfect rep against Ladson at the goalline. There was some really good defense being played at times overall.

And, as others have stated, I doubt that this receiving corps will be the one starting Week 1. They will get one guy in the portal with deep speed.

Advertisement
I’m not going to hold my breath on grabbing a difference maker at WR from the portal. We were able to attract a guy like Rambo because he knew he’d be featured heavily in the old offense. It took him all of three games to tie the UM record for receptions in a game. (Harley broke it in the last game of the year)

Our best bet if they want to bring in another guy is to find a G5 or FCS kid looking to make a one year name against P5 competition like KJ Osborn. I’m not sold there’s anyone in the portal that’s a big upgrade over what we have already. But, spring football is just ending so maybe we’ll get a few surprises

I’m not at all worried about our WR room. Guys will step up simply because they have to. We’ve got more than enough talent to make TVD look great.

Just get me a good NT. We need a war daddy so guys like Licht, JHH, LT and our host of hybrid 3-5T guys can do their thing.

And we need a thumper MLB. We’ve got some WLB I’m excited about but the middle scares me.

Advertisement
We ain’t beating Bama for him. We legit have nothing better to offer him except close to home.
I'd argue besides that, he can be the #1 here while he's at best the #3 at Bama. But your point stands, it's WRU right now.

Agreed… all Alabama does is sign 5 star WR’s and they still needed and brought in Jameson Williams In the portal to make their offenseclick and he was the star of their offense. I just dont think their anybody else out there that’s gonna jump in The portal and be better then what we have. Did we give up on Ladson already? I thought he was suppose to be the deep threat guy to catch the 50/50balls? If he’s not gonna be that guy then it was a mistake portal signing is what it is… out of Ladson, Keyshawn, , George,Romello, and Brashard somebody has to step up and be that star

Ladson brings a different type of body to the WR room but idk if anyone was expecting him to come in and be a #1 WR here with his history of injuries and drops at Clemson.

The potential is there for sure for him but I'm hoping for 400-600 yards and a couple TDs. Hopefully more if he can stay healthy.

We’re probably better than last year except receiver. Our receivers looked like ****.

I would say 8 games unless we land some serious help from the portal in the next week or two.

TVD had a bad day. It happens. Parish looks slow and small, but versatile. Our defense front 7 continues to look untalented and at the bottom half of the ACC. The only player who looks like he belongs at Miami from that group is LT.

My point was we looked like we have a long way to go and that Mario needs to hit tge portal for difference makers not depth.
LoL, so essentially the same talent but this top college staff produces 1 more win off an extremely poorly coached (worst in P5) team that lost 3 conference games literally on the last series. Okay.

The defensive front was missing a bunch of guys who will be in the two deep (like half) this fall--Harvey, Moultrie, Harrison-Hunte and Agude. You can expect another DT and DE and two linebackers this fall from the portal.

Advertisement
Back