Next steps

Thanks D$ for your analysis. Do you see Moten filling in some of the DT playing time and does Cooper get switched to DT? Not that we should count on true Frosh but they do add toward depth if we strike out in the Portal for a DT.

Advertisement
I appreciate our staff stopping at nothing to improve our team. They DEFINITELY are not settling for less or hoping for the best and they are getting paid handsomely not to. They have pure intentions to win the championship or die trying every season they are here and I believe that’s a huge part of their pursuit of the portal. I can take this urgency from the coaches but some fans are running with it a bit.

Gattis doesn’t believe that our WR unit sucks or is less than. He has been given urgent marching orders not to fall in love with any of them or their potential. He is demanding excellence, raising the bar, our players are being challenged directly and this staff will replace any player not performing to the UM championship standard that Coach Mario understands. This is what we all asked for so be it.

Our players have been exposed to laziness and bad tendencies. These units are good enough to compete in the ACC but that’s a Manny mentality.

They don’t suck but not sucking ain’t good enough anymore.

The catches had nothing to do with the tackling rules. Please list all the WRs who are "terrible."

Everyone not named restrepo.

If you can’t catch the ball you’re useless, I don’t care how tall and fast you are. Restrepo is the only one who is even a little bit consistent.

So do we not trust this guy to be our deep post and go route guy, I think him and Melo are the key to our passing game this fall

Advertisement
Here's where the WR group gives me concern.

Rambo hauled in a lot of 50-50 and 60-40 balls last year, many for big chunk plays. Who will haul in those passes this year? Key hasn't demonstrated enough consistency yet; we all hope George is that guy but he had all of 7 catches that year. He is going to make a leap but there's no history to suggest he's that guy.

I liked what I saw out of Brinson in limited time last year. It's a shame he's been out because he seems like a guy with nice potential.
Different offense

Thanks D$ for your analysis. Do you see Moten filling in some of the DT playing time and does Cooper get switched to DT? Not that we should count on true Frosh but they do add toward depth if we strike out in the Portal for a DT.
DT is usually a grown-up position. I hope they have enough time to develop at their own pace.

Also, Rambo was neither particularly fast nor big and he still killed it. He also dropped his share of passes too, just that he caught so many, you could forgive the handful of drops.
People are missing the mark on the WR discussion because they’re making it about a particular player or another.

This issue is the system not the players, last year’s offense had just as much to do with Rambo’s production as Rambo himself. The scheme made it possible for him to break records, it wasn’t because he was an elite WR prospect but that he was the right fit in a scheme that is predicated on high volume targets to the Boundary.

That’s why as D$ said in the OP, they’re actively looking for speed in the Portal.

Fans think that if you don’t think every player is an all-American that means you don’t like the player or are low on them, but it has nothing to do with George, Brinson & company & everything to do with the system they’re going to play in which isn’t conducive to unproven commodities that will have to earn their keep much harder.

Adding another WR is insurance, if we go into the season & the WR’s struggle, everyone will lament about how they wished we would’ve had another Portal vet that could pickup the slack. People don’t even realize they’re arguing against their own perception of Gattis as an OC by potentially limiting his ability to expand the offense to the best of his capabilities.

People are basically saying (without knowing it), “Gattis is great OC, I don’t want to give him anymore weapons because the offense needs to be limited in order for us to win games..” Like what?!? Lmaooo

The fans didn’t tell the staff we need more speed, the staff evaluated the WR’s this entire Spring & at the end of Spring camp have decided they need to add another Speed threat, because they see the same potential issues we see 🤷🏽‍♂️

Advertisement
People are missing the mark on the WR discussion because they’re making it about a particular player or another.

This issue is the system not the players, last year’s offense had just as much to do with Rambo’s production as Rambo himself. The scheme made it possible for him to break records, it wasn’t because he was an elite WR prospect but that he was the right fit in a scheme that is predicated on high volume targets to the Boundary.

That’s why as D$ said in the OP, they’re actively looking for speed in the Portal.

Fans think that if you don’t think every player is an all-American that means you don’t like the player or are low on them, but it has nothing to do with George, Brinson & company & everything to do with the system they’re going to play in which isn’t conducive to unproven commodities that will have to earn their keep much harder.

Adding another WR is insurance, if we go into the season & the WR’s struggle, everyone will lament about how they wished we would’ve had another Portal vet that could pickup the slack. People don’t even realize they’re arguing against their own perception of Gattis as an OC by potentially limiting his ability to expand the offense to the best of his capabilities.

People are basically saying (without knowing it), “Gattis is great OC, I don’t want to give him anymore weapons because the offense needs to be limited in order for us to win games..” Like what?!? Lmaooo

The fans didn’t tell the staff we need more speed, the staff evaluated the WR’s this entire Spring & at the end of Spring camp have decided they need to add another Speed threat, because they see the same potential issues we see 🤷🏽‍♂️
Agreed… all Alabama does is sign 5 star WR’s and they still needed and brought in Jameson Williams In the portal to make their offenseclick and he was the star of their offense. I just dont think their anybody else out there that’s gonna jump in The portal and be better then what we have. Did we give up on Ladson already? I thought he was suppose to be the deep threat guy to catch the 50/50balls? If he’s not gonna be that guy then it was a mistake portal signing is what it is… out of Ladson, Keyshawn, , George,Romello, and Brashard somebody has to step up and be that star

I wouldn’t be surprised if George ends up better than Rambo. He is a stud. But the staff isn’t taking chances. Guys like TVD are rare and you need to get the most out of them.

They're so rare that there is a 99.8% chance that we only get 12+ more games out of him before he moves on. The time is now. If this kid is really as good as some folks around the country believe he is, aka a legit high R1 NFL prospect, then not giving him the absolute most powerful weapons possible would be a massive failure by everyone involved.

I don’t think that’s what some of us are saying RE: George and Brinson and Gattis at all. Though I’m not certain who you’re referring to re: those of us who’ve mentioned them specifically.

I don’t think anyone on this board knows what Gattis’ offense will ultimately look like this Fall. You can make some educated guesses. We can acknowledge what he and the coaches *tend* to prioritize. But, that’s about it. Because from the mouths of coaches on the team themselves and multiple people who *really* get access to practice, there are a ton of moving parts in terms of what they intend with the offense - regardless of who they add.

*FWIW, I’m with anyone who wants to add a WR or even two. Add to whatever allows us to play to TVD’s strengths.

Advertisement
Mario needs to absolutely raid the portal for 2-3 DL, 2 LB, a WR, and a RT. Depth pieces bonus. Can’t waste TVD. With those picks ups we should absolutely achieve 10 wins and maybe even get a break vs TAMU or Clemson. Imagine what that would do for Mario’s first full recruiting class.

Going all in for as much success as possible this season is completely aligned with long term success. Why take chances. Take all the difference makers you can get.

What is going on with WR development/evals at UM, it seems no matter where the portal WR comes from they’re snatching a starting spot
Honesty if Likens was still here I’d have confidence that by season’s start we’d have a true #1.

This time last year we were all saying Rambo had ground to make up to be that guy because his spring game, while productive, was pretty much the result of getting more balls thrown his way and thus having more catches. He did not blow anyone away.

I am extremely interested in how the current group develops by TAMU and the ACC slate. Until then I will be wondering if we downgraded at the WR coach position, because IMO Likens got results with guys who put in the work. I think we have a few guys who are as talented as Rambo still on the team, it remains to be seen if we can get any of them to his level by Fall.

Advertisement
The problem isn’t numbers. The problem is we don’t have size. Jhh, lich, moultrie are all under 300 and all 3 will likely be in the 2 deep with LT

Everyone not named restrepo.

If you can’t catch the ball you’re useless, I don’t care how tall and fast you are. Restrepo is the only one who is even a little bit consistent.
Hahahahahaha, you’re ******* steamed right now

Get some puzzy mane

Advertisement
Back