Next steps

View as article
You’re underestimating the WR issue...

Your premise would be 100% correct if this was last year’s offense, but in this system, it’s gonna be a problem.

and there it is.

does Coach G show us why he won the Broyles and adjust the offense to play to these guys' strengths?

and if the answer is yes, which it probably is, then: (A) how much can he adjust without throwing the entire structure out of whack, and (B) will that be enough without a Rambo type addition on the outside through the portal.

🤔

Advertisement
and there it is.

does Coach G show us why he won the Broyles and adjust the offense to play to these guys' strengths?

and if the answer is yes, which it probably is, then: (A) how much can he adjust without throwing the entire structure out of whack, and (B) will that be enough without a Rambo type addition on the outside through the portal.

🤔
I think people are really underestimating jacolby, breshard, keyshawn, and frank.

unproven yes, but the speed and talent is there

Your overall point seems to be that we are less talented than last year's team so you must believe we win less than 7 games. Now before you argue that our competition is also bad remember that all a team is ever graded against is its competition.
So what say you to a win total for next year as the team is currently constructed? 6, 5, 3?

We’re probably better than last year except receiver. Our receivers looked like ****.

I would say 8 games unless we land some serious help from the portal in the next week or two.

TVD had a bad day. It happens. Parish looks slow and small, but versatile. Our defense front 7 continues to look untalented and at the bottom half of the ACC. The only player who looks like he belongs at Miami from that group is LT.

My point was we looked like we have a long way to go and that Mario needs to hit tge portal for difference makers not depth.

Parrish looked slow. TVD was sailing his throws. Our WR group might be the worst in the ACC - plenty of ability but can’t catch the football in traffic.

Our OL is not too promising and now that Mims is out, even less so. We need tackles.

On defense, our DL is undersized and weak. Our LB problems have not been addressed. At CB, we have one (TS) who is decent and C- depth behind that.

Mario has so far failed to address the problems at tackle, DT, DE, LB, and CB despite being here months with the portal wide open
Excuse Me Reaction GIF by One Chicago

Advertisement
So, let the WRs prove themselves. If we keep going to the portal for WRs, these guys never get on the field development and then WTF are we recruiting them in the first place. We have Blue Chip WRs. Gattis has to get the most out of them.

Last year, all the talk was about getting George, Brinson, and B. Smith in our 2021 class. Now, all the sudden we got nobody?
But at the same time, nobody wants to hear about development and it taking time to build a winner. If Mario wants to keep his job he'll have to do everything he can to win all the time, and that means willing holes with the portal when needed.
That said, I'm in the camp that it's too early to judge this WR group. Yes, we should get a #1 if possible, but for now I'm assuming the WRs we have aren't as bad as they looked. As has been pointed out, it was one "game", what do we really know?

A lot of hand wringing over things that the coaches clearly know about. If this were some of our past head corches and staphs, I would be worried. This staff is loaded with rock stars. I'm just not worried.

I do agree with LCE we should have pushed harder for a WR#1 earlier one. That's my one beef so far. But I'm going to sit back and see how the next couple of weeks play out. It's not just coaches evaluating players during Spring ball, it's players evaluating coaches too. There will a couple studs hitting the portal, I am sure of it.

People tend to forget that spring games often feature players who rarely see game time and some who are portal bound. Yet they've already decided the fate of our season.

Plus, Mario is a master at misdirection.

Advertisement
People tend to forget that spring games often feature players who rarely see game time and some who are portal bound. Yet they've already decided the fate of our season.

Plus, Mario is a master at misdirection.
I heard he created the traffic flow issue to get you off his scent for the campus stadium…😎

Can we get Malik Curtis on offense? We need the talent more at WR than we do at CB.

If we're needing speed and playmaking abilities at WR, we have one buried in the CB room right now
Exactly you took the words out my mouth! Malik Curtis definitely has the speed and play making ability o be a dangerous piece on offense. He's a project at CB it will be at 3 years if big if he develops. He could move to WR right now an give us alot more than he can a CB right now! Also we need George an Restrepo for WR Malik should get a have at PR and KR dude was dangerous his HS tape clearly shows a offensive weapon!

We’re probably better than last year except receiver. Our receivers looked like ****.

I would say 8 games unless we land some serious help from the portal in the next week or two.

TVD had a bad day. It happens. Parish looks slow and small, but versatile. Our defense front 7 continues to look untalented and at the bottom half of the ACC. The only player who looks like he belongs at Miami from that group is LT.

My point was we looked like we have a long way to go and that Mario needs to hit tge portal for difference makers not depth.
The WRs really did not look that bad. There were some drops early but they got one track and there were some nice diving catches in the 2nd half. We still need a #1 but there's a lot of exaggeration in how disappointing they looked as a group..

DT is an issue we will just have to deal with until we recruit some legit DT's. Moten will be a necessary addition and if he can come in and give us some stout play in practice then I think he'll get playing time. None of this happens over night and time on our side.

Advertisement
The WRs really did not look that bad. There were some drops early but they got one track and there were some nice diving catches in the 2nd half. We still need a #1 but there's a lot of exaggeration in how disappointing they looked as a group..

2nd half was touch football. We have guys who were 7 on 7 heroes but who are terrible in pads and contact.

Too bad the toughness and hands aren’t.

Restreppo is our best WR right now.
yeah that's the consensus that restrepo is the best, and I agree. I left him off the list as I was talking about those being "underestimated"

that and I would caution anyone judging our WR core on a scrimmage in the spring

Advertisement
I don't think Jake and LT are what I would call 'undersized'... not in a 4-3 at least. Lean? Sure, but undersized?

We will be scheme-dependent until we start growing 3-4 DE's on trees and start finding Bama-sized NT's... until then I expect us to probably play to what we have.

yeah that's the consensus that restrepo is the best, and I agree. I left him off the list as I was talking about those being "underestimated"

that and I would caution anyone judging our WR core on a scrimmage in the spring

Why not judge? Catching the football should be habit, doesn’t matter if it’s Spring.

The last staff recruited soft WR who looked the part but had bad hands. Pope, Wiggins, and the current crop. It is what it is.

Great post but thinking Scaife is a starter is crazy , he almost got a running back killed by totally missing a block in the spring game and got lost several times as who to block. Loved Sagapolu as a run blocker but he showed that LT is not big or strong enough yet by pancaking him several times during the game. Loved the TEs as they can run, block and catch well just not happy to see they were wide open most of the game as this has killed us in past years letting TEs get open often.
That wasn’t Scaife

But at the same time, nobody wants to hear about development and it taking time to build a winner. If Mario wants to keep his job he'll have to do everything he can to win all the time, and that means willing holes with the portal when needed.
That said, I'm in the camp that it's too early to judge this WR group. Yes, we should get a #1 if possible, but for now I'm assuming the WRs we have aren't as bad as they looked. As has been pointed out, it was one "game", what do we really know?
I think the confusion with fans is that Mario wants to build a championship program. That is over the long hall. In the short term, they think the entire roster needs to be rolled over.

I profess there's enough talent to win our division. and at least be competitive in the title game if not win it. I believe the roster will improve holistically with player development and improved recruiting classes over time. I don't think a 20-30 player wholesale overhaul is the solution that some fans want.

It just funny to me that every year fans rave about players in the incoming class and 1-2 years later they're ready to throw them out like rotten fruit in favor of players out of the portal.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back